What's new

Recruitment and retention

Jetty

QLD Cup
I reckon he is cooked and apart from 1-2 decent games from his 6. even behind a dominant forward pack, he has been underwhelming at best.

If you compare his stats to Hunt's, who played in a team dominated by their opposition in every facet, Milf has been very average. Plus his discipline has cost us.
Hmmmm maybe you have a point regarding Milf but I'm still not a fan of Hunt.

Jetty

QLD Cup
I reckon one area we are lacking is an attacking 2nd rower. Kafusi and Kenny are very defense-orientated, and kinda plain. Plus our benchies are much the same. Just someone to create some opportunities in the middle, particularly off the bench with some impact. Cartwright has been interesting particularly the last few games. Wonder what he would cost and if he would fit in as a interchange impact 2nd rower?

Also Wayne turned Lodge's career around and he was awesome for the Broncos under him. Another risky choice, but he wouldn't be worth that much right now surely? Like Cartwright, I reckon he could add a bit of flair we are missing up front - some offloads and hard running lines from him would compliment what JMK does and even giving Hammer a bit of 2nd phase play. Both are risky but I reckon could pick them up at unders.
Lemuelu was killing it early in the season. Not sure why he went off the boil.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I'm warming more to getting Ben Hunt, even if it’s only 2-3 years. Whether he partners Katoa, Milf, SOS or Kodi is really up to them to fight out until next year if we somehow found a way to get him here.
Ben Hunt at the right price, yes.

That marquee 7 to run our team around would transform this team. A proper organiser, partnering katoa who can just inject himself and run the ball when he sees it.

If I had to name the perfect player for us it would be Adam Reynolds. If we can clone him and slit him in at 7. Bang!

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I wonder if Aitken is penciled in to play in the backrow next year.
I am glad you’re all starting to see what I have said even when he was killing it.

Aitken holds attacks back. He could play a role in the backrow. And if I am honest he will save us cap money moving there next year, playing a rotational role.

I agree with most above. A marquee 7 and maybe another prop is what we need.

I’ll go on the record right now and say Kerr is not the answer. Him and Aitken are similar standard in their positions. Both reserve graders at best. Poasa Fam is also in the bracket.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
I am glad you’re all starting to see what I have said even when he was killing it.

Aitken holds attacks back. He could play a role in the backrow. And if I am honest he will save us cap money moving there next year, playing a rotational role.

I agree with most above. A marquee 7 and maybe another prop is what we need.

I’ll go on the record right now and say Kerr is not the answer. Him and Aitken are similar standard in their positions. Both reserve graders at best. Poasa Fam is also in the bracket.
Yep. Needs to be able to pass to be a top centre. Like Herbie is. But the last few games haven't been Aitken's fault. We've been smashed in the middle.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Ben Hunt at the right price, yes.

That marquee 7 to run our team around would transform this team. A proper organiser, partnering katoa who can just inject himself and run the ball when he sees it.

If I had to name the perfect player for us it would be Adam Reynolds. If we can clone him and slit him in at 7. Bang!
If JMK is in fact out for the season, and with Ben Hunt escalating his immediate request (https://www.zerotackle.com/ben-hunt...th-release-request-to-continue-update-158755/) and with us having near on 2 million left in our cap - can we dare to dream?

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
If JMK is in fact out for the season, and with Ben Hunt escalating his immediate request (https://www.zerotackle.com/ben-hunt...th-release-request-to-continue-update-158755/) and with us having near on 2 million left in our cap - can we dare to dream?
Here is what I think is happening. The Dragons over paid for Hunt and they know it, they have refused him a release because they want to get something in return for him, which the Broncos weren't offering. They are playing hard ball to win out of this situation. However, they would let him go for the right return. Problem for them is finding a trade with a player that wants to go there, that they value at Hunts trade value.

They would love to see the back of him, this is secretly a dream situation for them. And giving their new coach an extra 1.2mil to spend on the rebuild of that squad would be like striking gold for Flanno. They just can't let everyone know that.

I also think Bennett would love him, but is saying he wants nothing to do with him, because he knows the score.

I think making the post season would not have even entered our minds, so whilst making them would be nice, screwing our future to try and make them isnt on the agenda. Whilst Hunt might be good for us at half, we arent just going to go for someone to replace JMK on the off chance we make the post season. Bennett and crew seem to be playing the long game, the right way.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Here is what I think is happening. The Dragons over paid for Hunt and they know it, they have refused him a release because they want to get something in return for him, which the Broncos weren't offering. They are playing hard ball to win out of this situation. However, they would let him go for the right return. Problem for them is finding a trade with a player that wants to go there, that they value at Hunts trade value.

They would love to see the back of him, this is secretly a dream situation for them. And giving their new coach an extra 1.2mil to spend on the rebuild of that squad would be like striking gold for Flanno. They just can't let everyone know that.

I also think Bennett would love him, but is saying he wants nothing to do with him, because he knows the score.

I think making the post season would not have even entered our minds, so whilst making them would be nice, screwing our future to try and make them isnt on the agenda. Whilst Hunt might be good for us at half, we arent just going to go for someone to replace JMK on the off chance we make the post season. Bennett and crew seem to be playing the long game, the right way.
Hunt would be awesome to fill in at hooker for the rest of the season, with the aim of him mentoring the halves and becoming one next year too.

Maybe we could give St George Aitken back for him lol, or maybe even one of the Bromiches - and then go hard after either/or both Tino and Fifita, who its just come out have a Holbrook clause in their contract which nulls and voids it. Tino would be a great captain.

Equaliser

Hunt would be awesome to fill in at hooker for the rest of the season, with the aim of him mentoring the halves and becoming one next year too.

Maybe we could give St George Aitken back for him lol, or maybe even one of the Bromiches - and then go hard after either/or both Tino and Fifita, who its just come out have a Holbrook clause in their contract which nulls and voids it. Tino would be a great captain.
I wonder if they would accept Brenko Lee😳.

Equaliser

DOLPHINS’ HAND NIU EXTENSION

The Dolphins have handed winger Tesi Niu a contract extension, signing him until the end of 2024. The 21-year-old featured in the NRL’s newest franchise’s first ever game after joining Wayne Bennett’s side from the Broncos. Niu has also represented Tonga at international level and Dolphins chief executive Terry Reader was excited by his commitment to the club.

“We are very pleased to extend Tesi’s contract for next season,” Reader said in a club statement. “He is a Brisbane-born boy and that sits well with the Dolphins’ purpose of providing young Queenslanders a place to play NRL in their home city. “His NRL career is only just starting and we know that Tesi has long future in the game.”

Niu has already played 41 NRL games, with nine appearances for the Dolphins in 2023.

Equaliser

Development players: Harrison Graham (2023), Jack Bostock (2023), Jeremiah Simbiken (2024 CO 2025), Michael Roberts (2023)

2023 losses: Oliver Gildart (Super League)

2024 gains: Herbie Farnworth (from Broncos until 2026), Josh Kerr (from Dragons until 2025) Jake Averillo (2026)

Josh

QLD Cup
If Benny isn't having a go at Fifta or Fa’asuamaleaui, you can consider it assured he is keeping the clubs power dry for a shot at Payne Haas.

Equaliser

If Benny isn't having a go at Fifta or Fa’asuamaleaui, you can consider it assured he is keeping the clubs power dry for a shot at Payne Haas.
Payne Haas would be avilable the same time Jesse Bromwich and Nicholls are off contract. But Benny hates signing non spine players on huge money.