What's new

Recruitment and retention

Jetty

QLD Cup
Very true, at the Broncos under Wayne he was one of the best props in the game for a while there, but also likely part of whatever toxic culture took over the club too.
Exactly. Whatever this guy is doing, clubs don't like it and clubs he is at go downhill. Warriors were so keen to get rid of him, they just paid him out. No swaps or picking up a part of his contract. They wanted him gone so badly they just paid out his contract and told him to f off.

Chris

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS​

2023 squad:
  • Anthony Milford (2024), bye
  • Brenko Lee (2024), bye
  • Connelly Lemuelu (2024), keep
  • Edrick Lee (2024), bye
  • Euan Aitken (2024), hmmmm
  • Felise Kaufusi (2025),
  • Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (2027),
  • Herman Ese’ese (2023, PO 2024), hmmmm how old is he now?
  • Isaiya Katoa (2025),
  • Jamayne Isaako (2025),
  • Jarrod Wallace (2024), hmmmmm, how old is he? One more season?
  • Jeremy Marshall-King (2025),
  • Jesse Bromwich (2024), hmmmm
  • JJ Collins (2023), think he's already been cut.
  • Kenneath Bromwich (2025),
  • Kodi Nikorima (2024), hmmmmm
  • Mark Nicholls (2024), retire
  • Mason Teague (2024, MO 2025),
  • Oliver Gildart (2023),
  • Poasa Faamausili (2023), bye
  • Ray Stone (2024), hmmmm
  • Robert Jennings (2024, MO 2025),
  • Sean O’Sullivan (2025),
  • Tesi Niu (2024), been extended
  • Tom Gilbert (2025),
  • Valynce Te Whare (2024) hmmmmmm
  • Max Plath (2025),
  • Josh Kerr (2025)

Development players:​

• Harrison Graham (2023), not a big fan
  • Jack Bostock (2023), bigger, better, tougher next year.
  • Jeremiah Simbiken (2024 CO 2025), who?
  • Michael Roberts (2023) looking forward to seeing what he can do.

2024 gains:​

• Herbie Farnworth (from Broncos until 2026), gun!
  • Josh Kerr (from Dragons until 2025)
  • Jake Averillo (2026)
  • Still no mention of Flegler. Weird. how long is Flegler signed for?

Coach: Wayne Bennett (2025)

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS​

2023 squad:
  • Anthony Milford (2024), bye
  • Brenko Lee (2024), bye
  • Connelly Lemuelu (2024), keep
  • Edrick Lee (2024), bye
  • Euan Aitken (2024), hmmmm
  • Felise Kaufusi (2025),
  • Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (2027),
  • Herman Ese’ese (2023, PO 2024), hmmmm how old is he now?
  • Isaiya Katoa (2025),
  • Jamayne Isaako (2025),
  • Jarrod Wallace (2024), hmmmmm, how old is he? One more season?
  • Jeremy Marshall-King (2025),
  • Jesse Bromwich (2024), hmmmm
  • JJ Collins (2023), think he's already been cut.
  • Kenneath Bromwich (2025),
  • Kodi Nikorima (2024), hmmmmm
  • Mark Nicholls (2024), retire
  • Mason Teague (2024, MO 2025),
  • Oliver Gildart (2023),
  • Poasa Faamausili (2023), bye
  • Ray Stone (2024), hmmmm
  • Robert Jennings (2024, MO 2025),
  • Sean O’Sullivan (2025),
  • Tesi Niu (2024), been extended
  • Tom Gilbert (2025),
  • Valynce Te Whare (2024) hmmmmmm
  • Max Plath (2025),
  • Josh Kerr (2025)

Development players:​

• Harrison Graham (2023), not a big fan
  • Jack Bostock (2023), bigger, better, tougher next year.
  • Jeremiah Simbiken (2024 CO 2025), who?
  • Michael Roberts (2023) looking forward to seeing what he can do.

2024 gains:​

• Herbie Farnworth (from Broncos until 2026), gun!
  • Josh Kerr (from Dragons until 2025)
  • Jake Averillo (2026)
  • Still no mention of Flegler. Weird. how long is Flegler signed for?

Coach: Wayne Bennett (2025)
* Ese'ese is only 28 and seems to be reaching the peak of his career - he has a good 4 years if he can maintain his form

* Wallace is 31, but like Ese'ese, he also seems to be hitting his peak - but anything after 2024 would be a risk I reckon

* Bostock is only 19 and has the potential to be our long-term winger for us with some experience - we can't rely on Niu that's for sure.

* Flegler has been signed until end of 2027 at 750k/year

All up it's not a bad squad moving forward. We need a marquee half and a strike 2nd rower though. Also need some of our young guns to fulfill their potential.

Chris

QLD Cup
* Ese'ese is only 28 and seems to be reaching the peak of his career - he has a good 4 years if he can maintain his form

* Wallace is 31, but like Ese'ese, he also seems to be hitting his peak - but anything after 2024 would be a risk I reckon

* Bostock is only 19 and has the potential to be our long-term winger for us with some experience - we can't rely on Niu that's for sure.

All up it's not a bad squad moving forward. We need a marquee half and a strike 2nd rower though. Also need some of our young guns to fulfill their potential.
100%. Halves are shaping up as the key. I was confident with SOS or Katoa and Milf for another year but after last game... not so sure.

Reactions: Red

Red

Forum staff

Apparently Bostock's best position is centre. I hope Te Wharte improves his fitness and defence and as a result, partners Farnworth in the centres next year. But if not, Bostock might that that spot.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Apparently Bostock's best position is centre. I hope Te Wharte improves his fitness and defence and as a result, partners Farnworth in the centres next year. But if not, Bostock might that that spot.
It will be Averillo. I have seen Bostock play before, he came to the Dolphins, and he is behind our current centres.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Yeah he has played more centre in his short career, but Averillo and Herbie have that sewn up. Some time on the wing, much like Cobbo, before moving to centres later will be great for him and for us, as apart from Isaako, we have no other decent wingers.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Yeah he has played more centre in his short career, but Averillo and Herbie have that sewn up. Some time on the wing, much like Cobbo, before moving to centres later will be great for him and for us, as apart from Isaako, we have no other decent wingers.
I must have missed the games where Averillo was good.

Dolph

QLD Cup
I dunno mate, he has been killing it in a very bad Bulldogs side - he's got some serious talent. We also paid $400k/year for him which is more than depth money.
I trust you know what you are talking about. I just haven't seen it. Watch very little of the Dogs.

Jetty

QLD Cup
I still have hope for Te Whare. Had a blinder in that game against Cronulla. Really damaging ball runner.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Missed out on those 2 Manly juniors. Went to Tigers instead. Don't think it's a problem. If they were really good, Manly wouldn't have given them permission to break their contracts with Manly.

But Wayne is have a seriously hard time recruiting halves.

Dolph

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS

Spots left in the Top 30: 0
What they need: Wayne Bennett has defied critics this season, with many predicting the NRL newcomers to be fighting for the wooden spoon. Instead, Bennett has signed 30 solid first graders and several young stars who have proven to be a competitive outfit. As it stands the Dolphins don’t have any spots in their top 30, but reports from WWOS suggest Herman Ese’ese could sign with a Super League club and leave early. The Dolphins already have to shed two players to account for Broncos duo Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth as well as Jake Averillo, but could be looking to bolster their hooking stocks this season to account for a potentially season-ending injury to Jeremy Marshall-King which has seen rookie Harrison Graham become the club’s first choice No.9.

Who should they target: Sea Eagles utility Karl Lawton looks a solid fit and could be an impressive utility under Wayne Bennett. He is contracted until the end of 2024, but with a plethora of recruits arriving in Manly they could look to shed some of their salary cap. Meanwhile, Dragons veteran Moses Mbye could also be a savvy signing at the right price and Bennett has a knack of getting the best out of players at the back-end of their career. Incoming coach Shane Flanagan has already informed him he isn’t a part of the Red V’s plans for next season. Roosters utility Connor Watson is also another interesting proposition and remains without a contract for 2024, having been sidelined for the whole 2023 season with a knee injury. When fit he is a valuable player to have in your squad, with the ability to play almost every position across the park.