What's new

Recruitment and retention

Jetty

QLD Cup
Yeah those are my thoughts as well.

$750/$800k - yes. But I don’t think he will go for that.

Having said that. If saints say you can only leave to Qld. Then we would have power. Broncos would be a no, cows suggested they would hold their 7. Titans changing coach. We could possibly low ball him and win out.
I guess he might have an immediate positive impact this season. How much are we willing to sacrifice long term for this year? He's 33 and not a good ball player. I have serious doubts how good he is now let alone next year.
Wayne has said categorically Hunt won't be recruited. So you would have to think Hunt is being discussed. But Wayne didn't want him at the Broncos. I think that's the main reason we won't ever see Hunt Dolphins colors. As a player, that is.

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member

Red

Forum staff

Chris

QLD Cup
I tend to agree, unfortunately they haven't stepped up when we need them and have been run of the mill all year. They would be on decent coin too - especially Jesse?
Hope I'm wrong but right now, seems they've both played a season too long.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Hope I'm wrong but right now, seems they've both played a season too long.
I think so especially for Jesse. He used to be a top tier prop. Kenny is good, but he has never been in the same league as Jesse for his positions.

If Jesse "retires", next question is who will be the captain? Gilbert, JMK and Hammer seem to be the heart of the team - as well as Kafusi but he's a bit old.
Nicholls has filled in as captain earlier this year, but as a bench forward not sure if he is on the field enough. Gilbert seems a natural leader as does JMK.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Even in the last few disappointing games, Isaako has performed really good, as he has this whole season. He is one of the most improved players in the NRL this year.

His season stats so far...

Tries - 4th
Line breaks - 4th
Goals - 5th @ 77%
Run metres - 10th
All runs - 18th
Post contact metres - 18th

These are some seriously impressive stats. He has kind of gone under the radar I feel. I wonder what his market value is now as a premium goal kicking, try-scoring and meter-eater winger? Not sure when his contract ends, but I hope we are looking at keeping him long-term.

Compare these stats and all the other little things and effort in games, I feel he would have been up there challenging Coates and Cobbo for the Qld wing spot, which would have increased his value obviously.

Last edited:

Chris

QLD Cup
I think so especially for Jesse. He used to be a top tier prop. Kenny is good, but he has never been in the same league as Jesse for his positions.
Kenny would be better if he was another to lose a few and go back to being a backrower.
If Jesse "retires", next question is who will be the captain? Gilbert, JMK and Hammer seem to be the heart of the team - as well as Kafusi but he's a bit old.
Nicholls has filled in as captain earlier this year, but as a bench forward not sure if he is on the field enough. Gilbert seems a natural leader as does JMK.
Good question. Herbie Farnworth would be a left field pick.

Chris

QLD Cup
Even in the last few disappointing games, Isaako has performed really good, as he has this whole season. He is one of the most improved players in the NRL this year.

His season stats so far...

Tries - 4th
Line breaks - 4th
Goals - 5th @ 77%
Run metres - 10th
All runs - 18th
Post contact metres - 18th

These are some seriously impressive stats. He has kind of gone under the radar I feel. I wonder what his market value is now as a premium goal kicking, try-scoring and meter-eater winger? Not sure when his contract ends, but I hope we are looking at keeping him long-term.

Compare these stats and all the other little things and effort in games, I feel he would have been up there challenging Coates and Cobbo for the Qld wing spot, which would have increased his value obviously.
Isaako and also Wallace have been consistently very good. Both have surprised me greatly.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Kenny would be better if he was another to lose a few and go back to being a backrower.

Good question. Herbie Farnworth would be a left field pick.
I reckon Gilbert has deserved the captaincy if it becomes available, JMK is a bit quiet from what I have seen from his on field vision and interviews. Gilbert is pretty vocal and really leads from the front. Not sure if I have seen Herbie do anything like this, he is more of a mercenary.

Jetty

QLD Cup
I reckon Gilbert has deserved the captaincy if it becomes available, JMK is a bit quiet from what I have seen from his on field vision and interviews. Gilbert is pretty vocal and really leads from the front. Not sure if I have seen Herbie do anything like this, he is more of a mercenary.
Why do you say Herbie is a mercenary?
The way Tom Gilbert plays, 100% hard, not a step back and always in the thick of the action, being captain might be a distraction that takes away from his game.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Why do you say Herbie is a mercenary?
The way Tom Gilbert plays, 100% hard, not a step back and always in the thick of the action, being captain might be a distraction that takes away from his game.
Just the way Herbie spoke of always wanting to play for the broncos since he was young but now he switched to us. Also he rarely passes, seems very intent on his himself. Just observations and could be wrong.

True about Gilbert with the burden of captaincy - but he could go the other way too and push even harder to help the team by leading. JMK would be in the same boat I feel, might be a bit much for him as he seems rather introverted.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Just the way Herbie spoke of always wanting to play for the broncos since he was young but now he switched to us. Also he rarely passes, seems very intent on his himself. Just observations and could be wrong.

True about Gilbert with the burden of captaincy - but he could go the other way too and push even harder to help the team by leading. JMK would be in the same boat I feel, might be a bit much for him as he seems rather introverted.
I don't see why JMK wouldn't work as captain. Is he quiet? I haven't gotten that impression.

Jetty

QLD Cup

He probably did want to stay at the Broncos but when we were offering 20% more money and a longer contract, he would have been crazy to not take it.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I don't see why JMK wouldn't work as captain. Is he quiet? I haven't gotten that impression.
I watched a Fox Face To Face show with him, he seems like a really nice guy and is well spoken but very quiet. Maybe he could be different on the field. He said him and Hammer spend a lot of their off time out fishing in his boat here, so they both went up in my books :)