What's new

2024 squad and best 17

mr_c

QLD Cup
Glad we never got Mam or Dearden? Luai is one of the best 5/8s in the comp as well. He's been a spine member in all 3 of Penriths premierships. You say, "he hasn't shown anything?" I'd say all 3 of them are easily better 5/8s than Wighton. Katoa will be resigned.

The club will go all out to sign Kotoa, no doubt. Milf and SOS will almost certainly be sent on their way. Kodi might get another year or 2 due to his versatility.
thats all well and good but can he take the step up by him self there lies the prob many dont

Dolph

QLD Cup

Every NRL club’s ‘24 breakout star​

DOLPHINS - HARRISON GRAHAM

Harrison Graham is currently on a development contract which expires at the end of 2025 but still did enough to earn six NRL caps in the Dolphins’ debut campaign. The young dummy-half looks to be a potential utility player off the bench, deputising for Jeremy Marshall-King in 2024 who battled with a shoulder injury to close out the season. The 22-year-old was impressive in his short stint to close out the season, but does face some stiff competition for the No.14 jersey next season in Kodi Nikorima and Isaiya Katoa. One of those two could miss out on the starting side with the inclusion of Herbie Farnworth and Jake Averillo in the squad, meaning Graham may be in a battle to be named on the bench. Regardless, Bennett has a ready-made hooker option waiting in the wings and 2024 could be Graham’s best season yet.

Really???? I was pretty unimpressed from what I saw of him. I thought he fell behind Plaff as the second choice hooker.
Still wondering who is going to be 1/2 and 5/8. Any word on that?

Josh

QLD Cup

Niu drops eight kilos in bid for Dolphins round one​

Dolphins outside back positions are all but taken for NRL round one but versatile Tesi Niu has lost eight kilograms in the pre-season to give himself a red-hot crack at snaring one of them.

The 22-year-old former Brisbane flyer can play wing, centre or fullback but at this stage his best chance of forcing his way into the round-one team to play North Queensland is a wing berth. "No positions are certified," Niu said after training on Monday.

Coach Wayne Bennett could not have enunciated the situation better. Bennett has headaches looming at the selection table, albeit good ones.
At this stage new recruits Jake Averillo, snared from Canterbury, and England international Herbie Farnworth, formerly with the Broncos, are specials to play in the centres where their electric speed will give the Dolphins strike.

Queensland whiz Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow will play No.1 and Dolphins 2023 player of the year Jamayne Isaako is written down in indelible ink on one wing.
The other wing spot is there for the taking. Jack Bostock, a former NSW under-19 representative, has had a great pre-season and is a quality finisher.

Cult hero Valynce Te Whare, who has also trimmed down in the off-season, can play wing but is best as a centre. Former Maroons winger Edrick Lee is back to full fitness after a disrupted 2023 and Robert Jennings is also on the books. Euan Aitken is another centre who can be relied upon.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Must be only to help bring his skill level up a bit. He'll be on the wing 100%.
got the impression from a mate that they looking to start him there with herbie and play jake on wing guess we see if tries it in trial

Dolph

QLD Cup
got the impression from a mate that they looking to start him there with herbie and play jake on wing guess we see if tries it in trial
For real? I can't see it personally but Wayne has made big calls like this previously that have paid off.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Round 1 team according to the Courier Mail:​

DOLPHINS

Key positional battles: Five-eighth/halfback

Verdict: The fact the Dolphins have gone so hard to try to sign Ezra Mam for 2025 shows they have identified the need for a running five-eighth.

Young Isaiya Katoa is learning the ropes, but he needs to put the foot down in 2024.

Which brings us to Anthony Milford who is now most definitely on his last chance.

At his best, there’s no disputing Milford is the standout of the Dolphins’ available halves.

But at 29, Milford has promised it all before and failed to deliver. Like last pre-season when he paid the price for not training hard enough over the summer and gave Katoa the jump.

While it would be a shock to see Milford upstage either Katoa or Sean O’Sullivan to start the season, Milford certainly has the capabilities to be in charge of his own destiny. Kodi Nikorima’s utility value and unquestionable commitment also makes him a must pick somewhere in the 17.

Top recruits Herbie Farnworth and Jake Averillo form a new-look centre pairing while it is thought Jack Bostock has clinched a wing spot.

Dolphins’ predicted team

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Herbie Farnworth
  4. Jake Averillo
  5. Jack Bostock
  6. Isaiya Katoa
  7. Sean O’Sullivan
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Thomas Flegler
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Connelly Lemuelu
  13. Tom Gilbert

Interchange

14. Kodi Nikorima
  15. Ray Stone
  16. Mark Nicholls
  17. Kenny Bromwich
Seems right but pressure is on SOS to retain his spot and Milf to show he should replace him. Also not sure about Nicholls. I think Wallace will push him out of the 17.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Valynce Te Whare to make Dolphins return​

Dolphins cult hero Valynce Te Whare will take the next step towards saving his NRL career when Wayne Bennett unveils a junior NSW Origin prodigy in Redcliffe colours.

Te Whare will be the headline act when the Dolphins kick off their pre-season trials campaign against the CQ Capras in Rockhampton on Saturday night. The Kiwi fan favourite was banished from Dolphins training before Christmas after reporting in poor shape and given an ultimatum to lose weight if he wanted to play in the NRL again.

Te Whare did just that and will take the next step towards redemption when he suits up in a Dolphins team of mostly fringe first graders and emerging talent against the Hostplus Cup’s Capras.

Bennett will keep star recruits Herbie Farnworth, Tom Flegler and Jake Averillo on ice until the NRL Pre-season Challenge.

Among this weekend’s players will be Oryn Keeley – the former Newcastle dynamo who fought back from the brink of retirement in his teenage years to pull on the sky blue of NSW. Keeley, 21, suffered a fractured neck when he was 16 and was told he may never play rugby league again.

He missed nearly three years of footy due to the neck injury, Covid and a knee issue, but made his NRL debut for the Knights in 2022, the year he featured in the NSW under-19s Origin team, and played his second first grade game last year. Joining the Dolphins this season on a three-year contract, Keeley has been a standout at training and will present his case for a spot in the second row.

Josh

QLD Cup

Dolph

QLD Cup

Valynce Te Whare to make Dolphins return​

Dolphins cult hero Valynce Te Whare will take the next step towards saving his NRL career when Wayne Bennett unveils a junior NSW Origin prodigy in Redcliffe colours.

Te Whare will be the headline act when the Dolphins kick off their pre-season trials campaign against the CQ Capras in Rockhampton on Saturday night. The Kiwi fan favourite was banished from Dolphins training before Christmas after reporting in poor shape and given an ultimatum to lose weight if he wanted to play in the NRL again.

Te Whare did just that and will take the next step towards redemption when he suits up in a Dolphins team of mostly fringe first graders and emerging talent against the Hostplus Cup’s Capras.

Bennett will keep star recruits Herbie Farnworth, Tom Flegler and Jake Averillo on ice until the NRL Pre-season Challenge.

Among this weekend’s players will be Oryn Keeley – the former Newcastle dynamo who fought back from the brink of retirement in his teenage years to pull on the sky blue of NSW. Keeley, 21, suffered a fractured neck when he was 16 and was told he may never play rugby league again.

He missed nearly three years of footy due to the neck injury, Covid and a knee issue, but made his NRL debut for the Knights in 2022, the year he featured in the NSW under-19s Origin team, and played his second first grade game last year. Joining the Dolphins this season on a three-year contract, Keeley has been a standout at training and will present his case for a spot in the second row.
I wonder what would happen is Val has barnstormers in the trials. At this stage, surely Herbie and Averillo are penciled in to start in the centres.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I wonder what would happen is Val has barnstormers in the trials. At this stage, surely Herbie and Averillo are penciled in to start in the centres.
Nothing.

Herbie and Jake are locked in.

Val will get games here and there if he kills it.

If he doesn’t he won’t get a look in.

mr_c

QLD Cup
really dont see those two getting second rated pick over val especailly if they using jaymane at centre too especially with vals contract on the line

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Ok, Herbie and Jake are locked in for at least the first few rounds. But I still think Val has huge potential.
I think he does. But does he have the attitude around training and being professional? I have no idea, but something tells me if he has to go to fat camp every year, he won’t be around for long.

And you don’t go and recruit a grand finalist centre, for him not to be first choice, as well as Jake.

Further to Mr c’s reply, issako has a breakout season on the wing and you think he is going to play centre? Also, the Hammer blows them away at fullback and you think Jake will play there? Jake will be the other centre and Val has a big job in his hands proving he deserves that spot.

If he claims it he deserves it. However, Jake and Herbie will be there round 1

mr_c

QLD Cup
I’d love to be smoking what you’re smoking dude

serious question have you been to the preseason training have you read news reports about our preseason trainings

not smoking anything , i seen it more than ones read it more than once they have jake on the wing at alot of the sessions they have

go turn up to them and see yourself