What's new

2024 squad and best 17

mr_c

QLD Cup
I’m not having a shot at mr c , far from it , I’m just adding an opinion based on how I look at the game . I understand everyone sees it differently.
see it through stats as i know thats what coaches see plus his efficiency tackling rate is still in the 90%

Last edited:

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
see it through stats as i know thats what coaches see plus his efficiency tackling rate is still in the 90%
Is that SOS? I thought his defence was ok. For a halfback. I was disappointed by his ability to lead the team around in attack.
Katoa has had 2 games against struggling opposition so lets see how he goes in harder games but thus far, I really like what I'm seeing.

Gary

Dolphins Junior League
Is that SOS? I thought his defence was ok. For a halfback. I was disappointed by his ability to lead the team around in attack.
Katoa has had 2 games against struggling opposition so lets see how he goes in harder games but thus far, I really like what I'm seeing.
I like Katoa plays to the line , his pass selection is looking like a really strong part of his game.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I prefer to look at a game with my eyes rather than through a computer
Spot on mate.

I did stats at university in a business degree. I have seen the same set of stats used to tell two different stories.

Whilst I agree stats don’t lie. This is only true because they can tell you any story you’re trying to justify.

The thing that sticks in my mind about SoS and his defense is the cobbo try last year, where he was made to look like a 5 year old trying to tackle a man.

However, I am not always right. Look at Josh Kerr. Had that way wrong. And I hope I am wrong about SOS, because I want nothing more then the dolphins to win the comp.

However, my eyes are telling me Katoa needs to be there in front of him, and someone high quality needs to partner the youngster

Josh

QLD Cup
Spot on mate.

I did stats at university in a business degree. I have seen the same set of stats used to tell two different stories.

Whilst I agree stats don’t lie. This is only true because they can tell you any story you’re trying to justify.

The thing that sticks in my mind about SoS and his defense is the cobbo try last year, where he was made to look like a 5 year old trying to tackle a man.

However, I am not always right. Look at Josh Kerr. Had that way wrong. And I hope I am wrong about SOS, because I want nothing more then the dolphins to win the comp.

However, my eyes are telling me Katoa needs to be there in front of him, and someone high quality needs to partner the youngster
Some stats lie. When a passer puts a runner into a gap to fall over the try line, it's a "line break". Also when a tackler drops off in order get back in position, it's a "missed tackle".

midlands hobo

I love a good stat. However I understand their limitations. Coaches use them to improve margins. I spent 4 years at uni studying coaching and sports science.

Stats are good they can focus a discussion you can track lazy players or things like errors types of kick in field position. Sometimes you can use your hunch to look for stats that are not taken.

Like the current panthers debate about drifting sideways on the last tackle to shield the kicker without blockers.

However stats can only guide a discussion. Stats don't really help with things like dropped passes. I mean who is at fault for a dropped pass? Was it a great pass and the recieving player fucked it. Or was it a dog shit pass and the recipient nearly pulled off a miracle to get near it? Stats don't tell the story that your eyes do

Red

Forum staff
He even put his body on the line and wore a massive shot against the titans, trying to make a play.

It’s good to watch
He also has the habit of NOT drifting across field. Hallmark of all the best halfbacks. If or when he pulls out the old JT dummys, I think he's going to get more than a few line-breaks.

Equaliser

Power Rankings according to Fox. 3rd on the ladder and 6th here is probably fair. Broncos and Penrith have both had hard games without key players. Justified being ahead of us.

6. DOLPHINS

Last week’s ranking: 10th (up four spots)

Analysis:
What a performance from the Dolphins. Without several key stars, including Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow and Felise Kaufusi, Wayne Bennett’s side dominated the Eels who were slammed by their coach post-match. It was a breakout game for two players, with both young guns Jack Bostock and Max Plath standing tall. Bostock scored his first career hat-trick and assisted another try, while Plath cemented himself as the club’s No.13 by scoring a double and being an excellent support player on multiple occasions. Only positives to take away from the Dolphins in Round 7 and they should chalk up another victory when they face the Knights in Round 8.

Dolph

QLD Cup

Forgotten Dolphin should be in NSW halves debate​

Dolphins prodigy Isaiya Katoa is the forgotten man in the NSW Origin halves debate. With Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses injured, the Blues are on the hunt for a new halfback ahead of Wednesday week’s series-opener.

Dally M Medal winner Nicho Hynes is the deserved favourite, but if he goes down this weekend then Katoa should be in the mix. The youngster has been in sensational form for the top four Dolphins this year and if he was playing for a Sydney club the NSW media would be declaring him the next Andrew Johns or Cleary.

Instead, Katoa flies under the radar at Redcliffe, much to the joy of Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett. Dolphins five-eighth Kodi Nikorima said his halves partner deserved to be in the Blues discussion.

“He’s a smoky,” he said. “From a selfish point of view, I want to say no but to be fair, I think he’s ready. “He’s only 20, but he doesn’t play like that. He kicks well, defends well and attacks well – they are the three attributes you need in the Origin arena. “He is owning the team this year. Last year, as a young bloke, you can be stand-offish. You look at the players you’re playing with and they have more experience. “I saw him in the pre-season last year and I knew the kind of player he was. He’s very direct and vocal. “I’m very happy for him with the way he’s playing at the moment.”

Dolph

QLD Cup

Dolphins prodigy Isaiya Katoa is the forgotten man in the NSW Origin halves debate. With Nathan Cleary and Mitchell Moses injured, the Blues are on the hunt for a new halfback ahead of Wednesday week’s series-opener.

Dally M Medal winner Nicho Hynes is the deserved favourite, but if he goes down this weekend then Katoa should be in the mix. The youngster has been in sensational form for the top four Dolphins this year and if he was playing for a Sydney club the NSW media would be declaring him the next Andrew Johns or Cleary.

Instead, Katoa flies under the radar at Redcliffe, much to the joy of Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett. Dolphins five-eighth Kodi Nikorima said his halves partner deserved to be in the Blues discussion.

“He’s a smoky,” he said. “From a selfish point of view, I want to say no but to be fair, I think he’s ready. “He’s only 20, but he doesn’t play like that. He kicks well, defends well and attacks well – they are the three attributes you need in the Origin arena. “He is owning the team this year. Last year, as a young bloke, you can be stand-offish. You look at the players you’re playing with and they have more experience. “I saw him in the pre-season last year and I knew the kind of player he was. He’s very direct and vocal. “I’m very happy for him with the way he’s playing at the moment.”
Probably a bit too soon but NSW could do much worse. His problem will be that both he and Cleary are strictly halfbacks and Clearly is still only about 25.

Red

Forum staff

Forgotten Dolphin should be in NSW halves debate.​

Don't want him in the debate as long as he plays for the Dolphins. But definitely deserves to be. He's an infinitely better 1/2 than 5/8.

Equaliser

I reckon his playmaking with one of the running halves like Luai or Hynes would be a gun combo. Hope they don't go with that.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Katoa is going to be a gun. You could see it last year.

No need to rush him into that squad. However, I have no doubt he will be the regular half in the squad in the not too distant future.

Equaliser

Katoa is going to be a gun. You could see it last year.

No need to rush him into that squad. However, I have no doubt he will be the regular half in the squad in the not too distant future.

the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

Jetty

QLD Cup

NRL mid-season betting analysis​

The Dolphins ($29)​

Ladder position coming into R14: 4th​

• Opening price: $29
  • Shortest price: $21 Rd 11
  • Longest price: $51 Rd 8
  • Top 4: $7.50 (was $9)
  • Final 8: $1.75 (was $3.50)
  • Miss the 8: $1.95 (was $1.25)
  • Most losses: $201 (was $10)
Wayne Bennett’s side can lay claim to a successful first half of the season, but it hasn’t built trust with punters. The Dolphins are the fourth-worst supported team in the title market, and $7.50 to finish in the top four, a position they currently hold. Top-eight betting has been a target for Dolphins punters, where they’ve taken more investments than Manly and Parramatta.

Long story short, bookmakers think we are bit more likely to make the top 8 than they thought at the start of the season but chances of winning the premiership haven't changed at all.

So according to them, we are good against the poorer teams but not much chance against the better teams.

Dolph

QLD Cup

NRL mid-season betting analysis​

The Dolphins ($29)​

Ladder position coming into R14: 4th​

• Opening price: $29
  • Shortest price: $21 Rd 11
  • Longest price: $51 Rd 8
  • Top 4: $7.50 (was $9)
  • Final 8: $1.75 (was $3.50)
  • Miss the 8: $1.95 (was $1.25)
  • Most losses: $201 (was $10)
Wayne Bennett’s side can lay claim to a successful first half of the season, but it hasn’t built trust with punters. The Dolphins are the fourth-worst supported team in the title market, and $7.50 to finish in the top four, a position they currently hold. Top-eight betting has been a target for Dolphins punters, where they’ve taken more investments than Manly and Parramatta.

Long story short, bookmakers think we are bit more likely to make the top 8 than they thought at the start of the season but chances of winning the premiership haven't changed at all.

So according to them, we are good against the poorer teams but not much chance against the better teams.
Seems right. We definitely need to go to a higher level to beat the best teams.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Seems right. We definitely need to go to a higher level to beat the best teams.
Yeah, I reckon we are a 4th-8th team at the moment.

We seem to lack the consistency of the top sides. Our good games are awesome, and I think we can match it. Our bad games, which happen too often, are what hurt us.

I think that consistency will come with more added depth and competition for spots as we add talent. All that will come with time.

Right now, as a 2nd year club, I think we are well ahead of where we should be. Everything is tracking well, and I am optimistic about Wolff taking over next year. before he was announced as the Dolphins coach to take over from Bennett, the dragons chased him a few years prior. I was keen to have him there, but the dragons, as per usual, screwed it up and hired one of the boys, the rest is history.

The main and very important part of the puzzle is we have a young gun at Half. The hardest piece to find, and we have it. We need to make sure he is a Dolphin for as long as possible. He will lead us to glory.