What's new

Recruitment and retention

Nashy

Broncos Scout
Uncle Nick is one of the best businessmen in the country, running one of the best clubs in the country. I don't get people who truly believe they are cheating the cap. Players will sacrifice money to go and play for a club full of superstars who are an actual chance of lifting the trophy.

No different to when Wayne used to pay well under market value for Broncos to stay at the club back in the day.

Chris

QLD Cup
Uncle Nick is one of the best businessmen in the country, running one of the best clubs in the country. I don't get people who truly believe they are cheating the cap. Players will sacrifice money to go and play for a club full of superstars who are an actual chance of lifting the trophy.

No different to when Wayne used to pay well under market value for Broncos to stay at the club back in the day.
Better let Andrew Gee know so he can work in the NRL again. Poor dude is forbidden from going anywhere near the Broncos, isn't he? To think it's all for nothing.

Josh

QLD Cup

Roosters are crooked as a dogs hind leg as were the Broncos under the Andrew Gee regime.

How do you become a good businessman?

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
How do you become a good businessman?
For a start you can take 130 million dollars of government jobkeeper money, and then the next year pay yourself a 17 million dollar dividend and not pay anything back :)

But seriously, Uncle Nick made all his $$$ in the very reputable used car industry and then in property - we can trust him.

Josh

QLD Cup
For a start you can take 130 million dollars of government jobkeeper money, and then the next year pay yourself a 17 million dollar dividend and not pay anything back :)

But seriously, Uncle Nick made all his $$$ in the very reputable used car industry and then in property - we can trust him.
Exactly. Does being a corrupt, lying, cheating, stealing fuck constitute being a good businessman? I'd go with the plumber down the road who started as an apprentice with no money and now hires 6 people.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Dolphins and Souths apparently is a bidding war for Wighton. I haven't watched so many Canberra games but in the one's I have watched, I'm surprised by this development.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Dolphins and Souths apparently is a bidding war for Wighton. I haven't watched so many Canberra games but in the one's I have watched, I'm surprised by this development.
Souths by all reports only offered him 1 mill under what Canberra did, but the Dolphins have at least matched Canberra's bid. Factoring in the cost of living in Brisbane compared to Sydney, financially he would be incredibly better off here (or even Canberra).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, particularly if the NRL allow Souths, who only have enough room in their cap for what they offered, to even register his contract if he chooses them.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Souths by all reports only offered him 1 mill under what Canberra did, but the Dolphins have at least matched Canberra's bid. Factoring in the cost of living in Brisbane compared to Sydney, financially he would be incredibly better off here (or even Canberra).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, particularly if the NRL allow Souths, who only have enough room in their cap for what they offered, to even register his contract if he chooses them.
I don't think salary cap will be as issue. Was it you who mentioned they are the new Roosters? I'd be happy if they had to give up Jai Arrow. He's not the player he was 2 or 3 years ago but would still be useful for us. Though I think it was Wayne who told him he wasn't wanted at the Broncos.

Red

Forum staff
I trust Wayne knows what he is doing but from my perspective, I hope Souths get Wighton for 1 mil a year. Centres are a real problem for us but Aitken will do ok for one more year in the centres and Farnworth is one of the best centres in the competition. Better off saving the money and then offering Payne Haas 1.2 mil a year from 2025.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I don't think salary cap will be as issue. Was it you who mentioned they are the new Roosters? I'd be happy if they had to give up Jai Arrow. He's not the player he was 2 or 3 years ago but would still be useful for us. Though I think it was Wayne who told him he wasn't wanted at the Broncos.
Nah I didn't mention that, but Souths do look like they are going to the Rooster's level. Siebold already said they don't have the cap space for Wighton not long ago, so it will be interesting if they get him. The whole thing reeks.

Jai Arrow would be a great pickup if he were cheap.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I trust Wayne knows what he is doing but from my perspective, I hope Souths get Wighton for 1 mil a year. Centres are a real problem for us but Aitken will do ok for one more year in the centres and Farnworth is one of the best centres in the competition. Better off saving the money and then offering Payne Haas 1.2 mil a year from 2025.
100%. We all have opinions, especially me lol, but at the end of the day Wayne has been there done it all before and knows better than anyone.

Reactions: Red

Chris

QLD Cup
Anyone is favour of trying to sign Sam Walker? Personally, I'd prefer to go with Katoa.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Anyone is favour of trying to sign Sam Walker? Personally, I'd prefer to go with Katoa.
If he was half as good as he thought he was, he'd be on a mil a year. But he's not and not worth even considering. At least not yet. Still only 20 so he might yet come good.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
As much as I'd love to see him play for us, I reckon Katoa is the better choice. They are both very similar - young, developing and more off-the-cusp running halves than playmakers. They would conflict together I feel. Would be harsh if they bought him in.

Jetty

QLD Cup
As much as I'd love to see him play for us, I reckon Katoa is the better choice. They are both very similar - young, developing and more off-the-cusp running halves than playmakers. They would conflict together I feel. Would be harsh if they bought him in.
Personally I think Katoa is showing signs of being a really good controlling/organising half back who doesn't often play off-the-cusp. Only does at select times. Everything Sam Walker doesn't do.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Personally I think Katoa is showing signs of being a really good controlling/organising half back who doesn't often play off-the-cusp. Only does at select times. Everything Sam Walker doesn't do.
That's true actually, particularly in his earlier games he didn't overplay his hand. Walker would come with a bit of baggage too I reckon.

Chris

QLD Cup
That's true actually, particularly in his earlier games he didn't overplay his hand. Walker would come with a bit of baggage too I reckon.
I just think Walker is average at best. His career path will probably go similar to Kyle Flanagan. He (Flanagan) will probably be dropped soon even though the Dogs don't have anyone else near good enough for a first grade halfback. At least, as far as I know.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I just think Walker is average at best. His career path will probably go similar to Kyle Flanagan. He (Flanagan) will probably be dropped soon even though the Dogs don't have anyone else near good enough for a first grade halfback. At least, as far as I know.
I wonder if he will go down the same dud path as the other recent players who have famous Qld father's like Lachlan Lewis, Billy Walters and Tristan Sailor? Is there a theme here?

Chris

QLD Cup
I wonder if he will go down the same dud path as the other recent players who have famous Qld father's like Lachlan Lewis, Billy Walters and Tristan Sailor? Is there a theme here?
I haven't been following the QLD Cup but I thought Sailor was going so well that he was offered a Broncos top 30 contract. But your right he is certainly never going to be close to as good as his old man was.

Josh

QLD Cup
So much for Wighton. He's joining Souths. I wonder if Souths are going to have salary cap trouble we can take advantage of.