What's new

Recruitment and retention

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Dolphins sign Max Plath, son of Broncos legend John​

Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins have continued their raid on Brisbane by poaching the son of Broncos legend John Plath. Having already stolen Broncos big guns Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler, the Dolphins have now delved into Brisbane’s development tier to lure Max Plath to Redcliffe.

Plath, the son of Broncos’ four-time premiership winner John Plath, joined the Dolphins’ training group on Wednesday ahead of tomorrow night’s NRL clash with the Rabbitohs at Suncorp Stadium. A clever utility who can play in the halves, at hooker or at lock, Plath has inked a three-year deal and won immediate promotion to the Dolphins’ top 30 squad.

Does this mean Benny has given up on making a hooker out of Donoghoe? I thought he (Donoghoe) has shown dramatic improvement at hooker. I mean, in round 1 he was terrible. Last game, he was decent.

Chris

QLD Cup

Dolphins sign Max Plath, son of Broncos legend John​

Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins have continued their raid on Brisbane by poaching the son of Broncos legend John Plath. Having already stolen Broncos big guns Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler, the Dolphins have now delved into Brisbane’s development tier to lure Max Plath to Redcliffe.

Plath, the son of Broncos’ four-time premiership winner John Plath, joined the Dolphins’ training group on Wednesday ahead of tomorrow night’s NRL clash with the Rabbitohs at Suncorp Stadium. A clever utility who can play in the halves, at hooker or at lock, Plath has inked a three-year deal and won immediate promotion to the Dolphins’ top 30 squad.

Does this mean Benny has given up on making a hooker out of Donoghoe? I thought he (Donoghoe) has shown dramatic improvement at hooker. I mean, in round 1 he was terrible. Last game, he was decent.
Anyone know how many spots in the top 30 are still up for grabs?

Equaliser

Anyone know how many spots in the top 30 are still up for grabs?
  1. Anthony Milford (2024)
  2. Brenko Lee (2024)
  3. Connelly Lemuelu (2024)
  4. Edrick Lee (2024)
  5. Euan Aitken (2024)
  6. Felise Kaufusi (2025)
  7. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (2024)
  8. Herman Ese’ese (2023, PO 2024)
  9. Isaiya Katoa (2025)
  10. Jamayne Isaako (2025)
  11. Jarrod Wallace (2024)
  12. Jeremy Marshall-King (2025)
  13. Jesse Bromwich (2024)
  14. JJ Collins (2023)
  15. Kenneath Bromwich (2025)
  16. Kodi Nikorima (2024)
  17. Mark Nicholls (2024)
  18. Mason Teague (2024, MO 2025)
  19. Oliver Gildart (2023)
  20. Poasa Faamausili (2023)
  21. Ray Stone (2024)
  22. Robert Jennings (2024, MO 2025)
  23. Sean O’Sullivan (2025)
  24. Tesi Niu (2023)
  25. Tom Gilbert (2025)
  26. Valynce Te Whare (2024)
  27. Max Plath (2025)
  28. Jack Bostock (2023)

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
  1. Anthony Milford (2024)
  2. Brenko Lee (2024)
  3. Connelly Lemuelu (2024)
  4. Edrick Lee (2024)
  5. Euan Aitken (2024)
  6. Felise Kaufusi (2025)
  7. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (2024)
  8. Herman Ese’ese (2023, PO 2024)
  9. Isaiya Katoa (2025)
  10. Jamayne Isaako (2025)
  11. Jarrod Wallace (2024)
  12. Jeremy Marshall-King (2025)
  13. Jesse Bromwich (2024)
  14. JJ Collins (2023)
  15. Kenneath Bromwich (2025)
  16. Kodi Nikorima (2024)
  17. Mark Nicholls (2024)
  18. Mason Teague (2024, MO 2025)
  19. Oliver Gildart (2023)
  20. Poasa Faamausili (2023)
  21. Ray Stone (2024)
  22. Robert Jennings (2024, MO 2025)
  23. Sean O’Sullivan (2025)
  24. Tesi Niu (2023)
  25. Tom Gilbert (2025)
  26. Valynce Te Whare (2024)
  27. Max Plath (2025)
  28. Jack Bostock (2023)
Perfect, leaves just enough room for Valentine Holmes and Munster to join after they break their contracts :)

But seriously, with this roster what positions do you guys think we need filled most and who to fill them?

I personally think we are short a strike centre and experienced (but not yet washed up) half. Best if they are Q'lders too. In a perfect world Hunt/Munster and Holmes would be awesome.

Chris

QLD Cup
Perfect, leaves just enough room for Valentine Holmes and Munster to join after they break their contracts :)

But seriously, with this roster what positions do you guys think we need filled most and who to fill them?

I personally think we are short a strike centre and experienced (but not yet washed up) half. Best if they are Q'lders too. In a perfect world Hunt/Munster and Holmes would be awesome.
There's no obvious weakness. Even the Hammer has turned into the game breaker the media thought we were lacking. Centre is the obvious weakness but Herbie will fix that next year and Aitken is playing really well.

I keep waiting for Isaako's form to fall off a cliff but just not happening.

Jetty

QLD Cup

IMO the team now is pretty good. A few issues. The much talked about Brenko Lee being the most obvious. Niu and Isaako have been really good and Bostock isn't far away from NRL every week. So with Herbie to take Brenko's place next year, I think the club should throw some big money at promising young players.

Equaliser

Team for round 1 next year.
  1. Hammer
  2. Isaako
  3. Farnworth
  4. Niu (I've been a big fan of Aitken but at this stage, I've got him on the bench, pressuring Niu.)
  5. Bostock
  6. Milf or Niko
  7. Katoa

8. Bromwich
  9. JMK
  10. Flegler
  11. Kafusi
  12. Bromwich
  13. Gilbert

14. Nicholls
  15. Stone
  16. Aitken
  17. Niko or Donoghoe

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Team for round 1 next year.
  1. Hammer
  2. Isaako
  3. Farnworth
  4. Niu (I've been a big fan of Aitken but at this stage, I've got him on the bench, pressuring Niu.)
  5. Bostock
  6. Milf or Niko
  7. Katoa

8. Bromwich
  9. JMK
  10. Flegler
  11. Kafusi
  12. Bromwich
  13. Gilbert

14. Nicholls
  15. Stone
  16. Aitken
  17. Niko or Donoghoe
What about O'Sullivan?

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
After the Cowboys game, I went with Katoa. But after last night, might have to go with SOS.
What about Katoa and O'Sullivan? I thought they'd be almost shoe-ins for the halves next year unless someone better is recruited? Nikorima would be a good bench option and backup, however if he keeps playing as good as he is, he may very well be a permanent half I guess.

Equaliser

What about Katoa and O'Sullivan? I thought they'd be almost shoe-ins for the halves next year unless someone better is recruited? Nikorima would be a good bench option and backup, however if he keeps playing as good as he is, he may very well be a permanent half I guess.
I think both are halfbacks. Benny actually said that. That Katoa was a halfback forced to play 5/8 due to circumstances.

Jetty

QLD Cup

Latrell Mitchell utterly rejects talk of Bennett luring him to the Dolphins​

Latrell Mitchell and Wayne Bennett are in talks – but the Rabbitohs star insists the topic has nothing to do with a change in clubs.​

Good. Obviously a good player but like Cobbo. Tends to go missing for large parts of games or several games in a row. If we are going to throw huge money at an established star, need one who is always looking for the ball.

Red

Forum staff

Latrell Mitchell and Wayne Bennett are in talks – but the Rabbitohs star insists the topic has nothing to do with a change in clubs.​

Good. Obviously a good player but like Cobbo. Tends to go missing for large parts of games or several games in a row. If we are going to throw huge money at an established star, need one who is always looking for the ball.
There is an idea that the club has so much salary cap space, it can afford to pay overs. Mitchell is still only 24 or 25, isn't he? But then again, even though he had a shocker on Thursday, the Hammer has so far this year been better than Mitchell.

Equaliser

He'd be a good signing. With a tackle busting game breaker like Mitchell, I think we would have been 20 up at halftime on Thursday.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League

I'd say the team needs a marquee signing on top of what it has now to challenger for the premiership, not just top 8 or even top 4. Not sure about Mitchell. I reckon Wayne could do wonders with Ponga and Newcastle have only gotten better without him.

Red

Forum staff
I'd say the team needs a marquee signing on top of what it has now to challenger for the premiership, not just top 8 or even top 4. Not sure about Mitchell. I reckon Wayne could do wonders with Ponga and Newcastle have only gotten better without him.
I just think the club is doing fine and will do better next year with Farnworth and Flegler. Should pour money into the best young players yet to play NRL.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
I just think the club is doing fine and will do better next year with Farnworth and Flegler. Should pour money into the best young players yet to play NRL.
Club still has an issue with the halves. Kotoa and SOS are both halfbacks. Not sure Niko or Milf are going to prove to be good, long-term halves. That maybe why the club is apparently interested in Wighton.