What's new

Recruitment and retention

Jetty

QLD Cup
He worked wonders at Dragons and Bunnies but left them in salary cap hole and Newcastle in a salary cap crater. They are still furious with him in Newcastle.

Wasn't his fault. He did, or almost did as he was hired to do. i.e. win a premiership. Wasn't hired to do that with rhe Dolphins. Seems to be doing an outstanding job. Team is building nicely. Ready for a serious premiership tilt next year.
You can like Wayne, think he's doing a good job for us, think he's a very coach and still acknowledge he made a mess of something. He made a mess of Newcastle and didn't do too well in his second coming at the Broncos. Think sending Ben Barba on his way, paying a good part of his salary for him to play elsewhere and signing Darius Boyd long-term on about a mil a year.

Gary

Dolphins Junior League
You can like Wayne, think he's doing a good job for us, think he's a very coach and still acknowledge he made a mess of something. He made a mess of Newcastle and didn't do too well in his second coming at the Broncos. Think sending Ben Barba on his way, paying a good part of his salary for him to play elsewhere and signing Darius Boyd long-term on about a mil a year.
He got broncos to a GF and the bunnies.
Barba career imploded, so Wayne must have seen the warning signs.

Jetty

QLD Cup
He got broncos to a GF and the bunnies.
Barba career imploded, so Wayne must have seen the warning signs.
He did wonders at Souths. Did ok with the Broncos but left them in a bad spot. They didn't overachieve by making the GF. After that year, you could clearly see the decline going on under Bennett. Mayne they wouldn't have fallen so far as the spoon if he wasn't sacked but they were declining. Suffered their biggest ever loss two weeks in a row, didn't they?

Barba imploded off the field. Darius Boyd imploded on the field. Remember he left when he still had a year to go on his 1mil a year contract!

Just to be clear, I rate Wayne very highly as a coach. I just think he's made some very serious mistakes and it's ok to say that.

Gary

Dolphins Junior League
He did wonders at Souths. Did ok with the Broncos but left them in a bad spot. They didn't overachieve by making the GF. After that year, you could clearly see the decline going on under Bennett. Mayne they wouldn't have fallen so far as the spoon if he wasn't sacked but they were declining. Suffered their biggest ever loss two weeks in a row, didn't they?

Barba imploded off the field. Darius Boyd imploded on the field. Remember he left when he still had a year to go on his 1mil a year contract!

Just to be clear, I rate Wayne very highly as a coach. I just think he's made some very serious mistakes and it's ok to say that.
Darius got the contract $$$ from the board not the coach, and Darius problem was he couldn’t play for another coach like he played for Wayne. The broncos turned into a rabble under Seibold.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Darius got the contract $$$ from the board not the coach, and Darius problem was he couldn’t play for another coach like he played for Wayne. The broncos turned into a rabble under Seibold.
Every board or someone higher than the coach signs off on contracts based on the recommendations of the coach. I know about Seibold. All I'm saying is, they were clearly on a steep downward trajectory when Wayne was sacked. But I'd agree they wouldn't have fallen as far as they did if Wayne stuck around.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Every board or someone higher than the coach signs off on contracts based on the recommendations of the coach. I know about Seibold. All I'm saying is, they were clearly on a steep downward trajectory when Wayne was sacked. But I'd agree they wouldn't have fallen as far as they did if Wayne stuck around.
biggest issuw why they got gaggi and co wasnt wanye it was because the club wanted to play jnrs that werent up what he wanted hence his dad army mob

same with dragons

Josh

QLD Cup
biggest issuw why they got gaggi and co wasnt wanye it was because the club wanted to play jnrs that werent up what he wanted hence his dad army mob

same with dragons
What or who is gaggi?

Josh

QLD Cup
Adam Reynolds: The champion skipper will almost certainly retire at the end of 2025. He took a pay cut to sign a 12-month extension and his departure will free up half-a-million dollars for Brisbane's 2026 salary cap.

We are fine for a halfback.

Selwyn Cobbo: Brisbane face a monster bidding war to keep the Queensland Origin star. Cobbo has already been linked with the Roosters and he could command almost $1 million on the open market as a fullback.

Not sure. Seems fat now.

Kotoni Staggs: Off-contract next year and no club can afford two highly-paid centres. If Brisbane keep Cobbo, Staggs could be a casualty if he wants to remain one of the code's best paid centres.

I think we are ok for centres.

Tristan Sailor: A wonderful talent and how long can he play second fiddle to Reece Walsh? It's only a matter of time before he gets a juicy offer to be a regular starter at an NRL rival.

We are ok for fullbacks.

Corey Oates: A cult figure at Brisbane and a superb servant, but wing cohorts Deine Mariner and Jesse Arthars are younger and on the rise. Oates' salary could be used to keep others.

Retire or ESL

Cory Paix: Off-contract next year and is unlikely to be re-signed given Brisbane's glut of hookers. Paix and Oates' deals combined would free up around $600,000 for the Broncos to spend elsewhere.

Definitely worth considering as both Bromwiches, Nicholls and Wallace will all be gone after this year or next.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Just on Oates. I doubt he goes ESL.

Just completed a new house with a young family. I’d suggest he would want to play on, close to brissy.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Adam Reynolds: The champion skipper will almost certainly retire at the end of 2025. He took a pay cut to sign a 12-month extension and his departure will free up half-a-million dollars for Brisbane's 2026 salary cap.

We are fine for a halfback.

Selwyn Cobbo: Brisbane face a monster bidding war to keep the Queensland Origin star. Cobbo has already been linked with the Roosters and he could command almost $1 million on the open market as a fullback.

Not sure. Seems fat now.

Kotoni Staggs: Off-contract next year and no club can afford two highly-paid centres. If Brisbane keep Cobbo, Staggs could be a casualty if he wants to remain one of the code's best paid centres.

I think we are ok for centres.

Tristan Sailor: A wonderful talent and how long can he play second fiddle to Reece Walsh? It's only a matter of time before he gets a juicy offer to be a regular starter at an NRL rival.

We are ok for fullbacks.

Corey Oates: A cult figure at Brisbane and a superb servant, but wing cohorts Deine Mariner and Jesse Arthars are younger and on the rise. Oates' salary could be used to keep others.

Retire or ESL

Cory Paix: Off-contract next year and is unlikely to be re-signed given Brisbane's glut of hookers. Paix and Oates' deals combined would free up around $600,000 for the Broncos to spend elsewhere.

Definitely worth considering as both Bromwiches, Nicholls and Wallace will all be gone after this year or next.
think coreys wanting to stay at hookers and i think we have few them now

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Never saw the hype over cobbo. Flashes of greatness but never seems consistent and always looks like he's a few kgs to the north of fighting weight.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Manly would have to stump up some cash to offload him, only signed a 3 year 800k deal last year
Provided Manly put up a large part of his salary, I reckon he'd go fine as a 5/8. But would have to lose 10kgs at least.