What's new

Recruitment and retention

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
The Dolphins have pulled off a major coup by extending boom halfback Isaiya Katoa in a $2m deal. The 20-year-old playmaker was under contract until the end of next year but has extended to 2028. The Dolphins were determined to take the highly regarded former Penrith junior off the market, knowing rival clubs would have pounced if he became a free agent.

There is a desperate depth shortage in quality halves in the NRL. You look at the Titans and Tanah Boyd against the Bulldogs. The poor bugger had an absolute shocker. The struggles Souths are having with Lachlan Ilias and Dean Hawkins. Newcastle has dumped Jackson Hastings after two games. What do the Dragons do when Ben Hunt moves on? And at the Bulldogs, I’m not sure Drew Hutchison is a long-term option.

Not everyone can have a Nathan Cleary, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jahrome Hughes or Mitchell Moses. The great ones are hard to get, hence the Dolphins’ move.
John’s was saying how there are no halves coming through. I beg to differ.

This fella will be a great. He has everything, despite what other will tell you.

And signing him till 2028 is a sign the club think the same.

He is the next gen of the lot you mention.

Chris

QLD Cup
John’s was saying how there are no halves coming through. I beg to differ.

This fella will be a great. He has everything, despite what other will tell you.

And signing him till 2028 is a sign the club think the same.

He is the next gen of the lot you mention.
I think Johns is right that there are very few. We are in a good position having locked Katoa away for the next 4 years.

mr_c

QLD Cup
I think Johns is right that there are very few. We are in a good position having locked Katoa away for the next 4 years.
aggree even talking to a agent that looks after a friends son , he was saying all the clubs without strong jnr sides are crying out for good halfs

Red

Forum staff

Content hidden behind a paywall for the Courier Mail is free on Fox Sport a day later.
Not always. About a week ago there was a story about Tommy Gilbert. Luckily it seems he's going to live for a while yet but clearance to undergo the knee reco won't come anytime soon. At least another month. So he won't be back for round 1 next year.

I wanted to post an abbreviated version of it (because the full version was behind a paywall) but thought, "Why bother? It'll be free on Fox Sport in a day or 2. But never was.

Josh

QLD Cup
Not always. About a week ago there was a story about Tommy Gilbert. Luckily it seems he's going to live for a while yet but clearance to undergo the knee reco won't come anytime soon. At least another month. So he won't be back for round 1 next year.

I wanted to post an abbreviated version of it (because the full version was behind a paywall) but thought, "Why bother? It'll be free on Fox Sport in a day or 2. But never was.
I see. Glad Tom is going to hang around a bit longer.

Reactions: Red

mr_c

QLD Cup
Heilum Luki has extend with cowbys

and its expected Kulikefu Finefeuiaki will decide soon

Dolph

QLD Cup
Heilum Luki has extend with cowbys

and its expected Kulikefu Finefeuiaki will decide soon
Finefeuiaki is the one we really want. Them extending Luki might mean they've given up on Finefeuiaki. Hope so anyway.

mr_c

QLD Cup
intresting seeing that tpj has been told by broncos that hes not allowed in broncos untill he gives up the boxing just makes me wonder if wayne has said that tooo

Jetty

QLD Cup
intresting seeing that tpj has been told by broncos that hes not allowed in broncos untill he gives up the boxing just makes me wonder if wayne has said that tooo
Don't think I'd want him at the Dolphins regardless.

mr_c

QLD Cup
lol there was 1 up to say wallace called it quits to take up boxing too