What's new

Recruitment and retention

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I wonder why Welsby isn't in the sights of half the clubs in the competition now? One thing against the ESL is that most of the best NRL outside backs are seriously big. Look at the backlines from Origin. Now look at most of the ESL backline imports. Not big at all. How big is Welsby?
Very true about about the best wingers now - they are all either really tall or short and really stocky like T'oo. Wing is such a different position in modern league - they do so many extra hit ups that the likes of Boustead, Sing, Blacklock etc. couldn't have matched.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Very true about about the best wingers now - they are all either really tall or short and really stocky like T'oo. Wing is such a different position in modern league - they do so many extra hit ups that the likes of Boustead, Sing, Blacklock etc. couldn't have matched.
Welsby is a fullback.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Yeah our best fullbacks are all small, but you said our outside backs (wings/centres) are huge, sorry got confused.
That's true. I was counting fullbacks as outside backs. Mitchell, Trebojevic, Tedesco aren't small.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Nope. Originally from the southwest where all the good beaches are now about 30mins from Birmingham
That's probably about average for fullbacks in the NRL.

Sounds like a nice place.
He's our ESL insider.
midlands hobo midlands hobo, anyone else we should be looking at in the ESL?
That's true. I was counting fullbacks as outside backs. Mitchell, Trebojevic, Tedesco aren't small.
10~15 years ago they were outside back. Now they are "spine" players.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Problem is we got so many good fullbacks in the NRL, we don't have enough dedicated FBspots for them. You got guys like Hammer, Cobbo, Suali, Averillo, Herbie, etc. all playing outside back or even halves like Ponga until recently, who would shit all over Welsby at FB. What we lack now is quality wingers and to an extent centres - especially at the Dolphins.

All the top playing kids who get scouted all played fullback growing up and in reserves because that's where the most talented kids get put. So we got all the best players coming through all thinking they are fullbacks and deserve the big $$$, and not many true wingers and to an extent centres, who have experience with the nuances of those positions.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Problem is we got so many good fullbacks in the NRL, we don't have enough dedicated FBspots for them. You got guys like Hammer, Cobbo, Suali, Averillo, Herbie, etc. all playing outside back or even halves like Ponga until recently, who would shit all over Welsby at FB. What we lack now is quality wingers and to an extent centres - especially at the Dolphins.

All the top playing kids who get scouted all played fullback growing up and in reserves because that's where the most talented kids get put. So we got all the best players coming through all thinking they are fullbacks and deserve the big $$$, and not many true wingers and to an extent centres, who have experience with the nuances of those positions.
I think you are way too quick to write him off. Looked the full package against Penrith, the only time I've seen him play. Fast, skillful, good defender and I think only 20 or 21. And hardly small either. 91kgs and 21 years old could easily be 95kg and 22 years old.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I think you are way too quick to write him off. Looked the full package against Penrith, the only time I've seen him play. Fast, skillful, good defender and I think only 20 or 21. And hardly small either. 91kgs and 21 years old could easily be 95kg and 22 years old.
Hammer, Tedesco, Trbojevich, Mitchell, Nickol-Koldstat, Drinkwater, Walsh, Ponga, Brimson, Gutherson, Garrick, Kennedy, Edwards, Papenhauzen, Sloan, Laurie, Miller, Martinn, Savage and Averillo are not even the full list of NRL fullbacks, but they would all shit on Welsby.

Also, most of the best NRL fullbacks are small. You said outside backs are big, which they are, but most of the best fullbacks are tiny in comparison.

Welsby wouldn't hold a candle to any of the fullbacks here or the outside backs who are fullbacks in waiting. The ESL is just a far inferior competition and even the best once in a generation fullbacks from there like Tomkins come here and get found out.

ESL is where NRL players go to die, or wannabes come to play NRL and 95% end up not cutting it.

The exceptions in the modern era are are Burgess's, Hodgson, Ellis, Bateman, Offiah, Whitehead, Farnworth, Hanley, Widdop, Graham, Morley and a few others out of hundreds that have tried in the past 30+ years.

Last edited:

Dolph

QLD Cup
Hammer, Tedesco, Trbojevich, Mitchell, Nickol-Koldstat, Drinkwater, Walsh, Ponga, Brimson, Gutherson, Garrick, Kennedy, Edwards, Papenhauzen, Sloan, Laurie, Miller, Martinn, Savage and Averillo are not even the full list of NRL fullbacks, but they would all shit on Welsby.

Also, most of the best NRL fullbacks are small. You said outside backs are big, which they are, but most of the best fullbacks are tiny in comparison.

Welsby wouldn't hold a candle to any of the fullbacks here or the outside backs who are fullbacks in waiting. The ESL is just a far inferior competition and even the best once in a generation fullbacks from there like Tomkins come here and get found out.

ESL is where NRL players go to die, or wannabes come to play NRL and 95% end up not cutting it.

The exceptions in the modern era are are Burgess's, Hodgson, Ellis, Bateman, Offiah, Whitehead, Farnworth, Hanley, Widdop, Graham, Morley and a few others out of hundreds that have tried in the past 30+ years.
Trbojevic, Mitchell, Tedesco, Ponga and Garrick, far from small. I know Edwards, Walsh and Papenhauzen are good but the first 4 of those could have a very strong case to call themselves the best 4 fullbacks in the competition.

Tomkins had all the skills, was just too small for the NRL. And I don't think he got "found out". It's just in the ESL he was a star and on the NRL, he was just ok. Just couldn't bust tackles due to his size. I don't know how good or bad Welsby would be in the NRL but based on the one game I've seen him play, he'd be better than at the very least, 50% of those fullbacks you mentioned. Based on that one game, if he improved his stamina and strength which he'd be required to do, he could be in the group of those I mentioned in the first paragraph, minus Garrick.

Some of those ESL players you mentioned aren't just "exceptions" to those who didn't make it in the NRL but are greats of the NRL. Bateman won't become that only because he's played the vast majority of his career in the ESL.

Chris

QLD Cup

Trbojevic, Mitchell, Tedesco, Ponga and Garrick, far from small. I know Edwards, Walsh and Papenhauzen are good but the first 4 of those could have a very strong case to call themselves the best 4 fullbacks in the competition.

Tomkins had all the skills, was just too small for the NRL. And I don't think he got "found out". It's just in the ESL he was a star and on the NRL, he was just ok. Just couldn't bust tackles due to his size. I don't know how good or bad Welsby would be in the NRL but based on the one game I've seen him play, he'd be better than at the very least, 50% of those fullbacks you mentioned. Based on that one game, if he improved his stamina and strength which he'd be required to do, he could be in the group of those I mentioned in the first paragraph, minus Garrick.

Some of those ESL players you mentioned aren't just "exceptions" to those who didn't make it in the NRL but are greats of the NRL. Bateman won't become that only because he's played the vast majority of his career in the ESL.
The only way to know would be if he actually came and played in the NRL. I don't see why he couldn't make it but as DolphinLungren DolphinLungren points out, he's up against some very serious competition. Probably more than any other position in the NRL at present.

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member

Tomkins had all the skills, was just too small for the NRL. And I don't think he got "found out". It's just in the ESL he was a star and on the NRL, he was just ok.
Thing is he had speed, ESL is a much slower game. The weather the pitche are not conducive to fast. So he blew teams apart. In the NRL everyone was used to it so they could close him down.

One of the big names in the ESL is Jai field, he couldn't get a game as waterboy at the eels and yet is considered one of the most exciting and dangerous players over here.
Bateman won't become that only because he's played the vast majority of his career in the ESL.

Bateman won't make it because he's shit.

ESL is as said where good players retire. They take a massive pension payment to turn out for a Warrington (inglis) Bradford/Catalan ( Menzies) Leigh (MoiMoi) to name a few. ($BW to Toronto but COVID cancelled it)

midlands hobo

The only way to know would be if he actually came and played in the NRL. I don't see why he couldn't make it but as DolphinLungren DolphinLungren points out, he's up against some very serious competition. Probably more than any other position in the NRL at present.
I thinks it's worth a punt.

midlands hobo

In the halves jack sinfield is a new player on the scene (yes son of that Sinfield) only about 18 already playing some Leeds first team. If an NRL team could get him early he could really come on.

Speaking of Kev Sinfield I dunno if you know but he does alot of ultra running to raise money for Rob Burrow and the motor neurones disease unit at Leeds.

Chris

QLD Cup
Thing is he had speed, ESL is a much slower game. The weather the pitche are not conducive to fast. So he blew teams apart. In the NRL everyone was used to it so they could close him down.

One of the big names in the ESL is Jai field, he couldn't get a game as waterboy at the eels and yet is considered one of the most exciting and dangerous players over here.

ESL is as said where good players retire. They take a massive pension payment to turn out for a Warrington (inglis) Bradford/Catalan ( Menzies) Leigh (MoiMoi) to name a few. ($BW to Toronto but COVID cancelled it)
Have to disagree about Bateman. I'd love him to be playing for us.
In the halves jack sinfield is a new player on the scene (yes son of that Sinfield) only about 18 already playing some Leeds first team. If an NRL team could get him early he could really come on.

Speaking of Kev Sinfield I dunno if you know but he does alot of ultra running to raise money for Rob Burrow and the motor neurones disease unit at Leeds.

I guess it's a question of whether Katoa comes good next year before looking for a new halfback. TBH, I'm 50-50 on him.

midlands hobo

Mini Sinfield would need a season or so in Qcup but with proper effort could be a star.

Dolph

QLD Cup

Was Bateman playing for ESL's version of Melbourne? Why don't you rate him? When he was playing for Canberra, he was a standout in a very good team.

midlands hobo

Was Bateman playing for ESL's version of Melbourne? Why don't you rate him? When he was playing for Canberra, he was a standout in a very good team.
I think that's the issue. He only plays well when others around him play well and help him. He can't actually carry his own game or anyone else.