What's new

2024 team

mr_c

QLD Cup
Ans SOS doesn't have to improve on last season????
well i think he will he played really good in that first part of season yes injury was a shame but remember he had to be come the senior half a role he had never played most of the time at panther and warriors he was with another senior half before and had a rookie beside him very few club had that we probbaly had the most inexperienced halfs combo outta the whole club

sean knows the goat has faith in him he will improve

like i heard on talk back those doubting him ask yourself this if katoa and him both dont step up who can we get now we only have kodi if milf goes and lesser players on the open market

there lies the issue its case of having to keep him as if we cant get a player like dodd not sure where our options lie

as no way would they wank jake in halfs and looks like plath maybe more used in forwards

i personally would love to see Jackson Hastings and Te Maire Martin as targets both wayne nos well

Last edited:

Dolph

QLD Cup
well i think he will he played really good in that first part of season yes injury was a shame but remember he had to be come the senior half a role he had never played most of the time at panther and warriors he was with another senior half before and had a rookie beside him very few club had that we probbaly had the most inexperienced halfs combo outta the whole club

sean knows the goat has faith in him he will improve

like i heard on talk back those doubting him ask yourself this if katoa and him both dont step up who can we get now we only have kodi if milf goes and lesser players on the open market

there lies the issue its case of having to keep him as if we cant get a player like dodd not sure where our options lie

as no way would they wank jake in halfs and looks like plath maybe more used in forwards

i personally would love to see Jackson Hastings and Te Maire Martin as targets both wayne nos well
I though the opposite to you. SOS needs to pull his socks up, not Katoa. Katoa just needs to keep on improving bit by bit. SOS needs to improve immediately!

mr_c

QLD Cup
You got get outta your head that he needs play like a superstar half he's has a season with a rookie and will know both how each player plays and hate to you tell you but yeah katoa does they going expect him to put in way more especially with contract renewal coming up next two years he needs to show us if he is a star or just a average player like you call sean every one has things Wayne and the coaches will want them to work on I just going wait and see on both.

Dolph

QLD Cup
You got get outta your head that he needs play like a superstar half he's has a season with a rookie and will know both how each player plays and hate to you tell you but yeah katoa does they going expect him to put in way more especially with contract renewal coming up next two years he needs to show us if he is a star or just a average player like you call sean every one has things Wayne and the coaches will want them to work on I just going wait and see on both.
SOS is never going to be a superstar. Ruled out completely. Katoa might. I doubt it but it's possible. Thurston couldn't get a regular starting spot until he was 22 or 23. Katoa is still only 19!

SOS needs to improve to be NRL standard. I read someone said something like, he is a good QLD Cup halfback capable of filling in, in first grade if the first choice halfback is unavailable. I think that's right.

mr_c

QLD Cup
SOS is never going to be a superstar. Ruled out completely. Katoa might. I doubt it but it's possible. Thurston couldn't get a regular starting spot until he was 22 or 23. Katoa is still only 19!

SOS needs to improve to be NRL standard. I read someone said something like, he is a good QLD Cup halfback capable of filling in, in first grade if the first choice halfback is unavailable. I think that's right.
means nothing to me look at

Jamayne, Tom Dearden same thing has been said about them too come back when they can tell you how many premerships these keyboard warriors won on field not sinking cold ones​

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Mr C. I am now certain you're taking the piss.

SOS is never going to be a superstar.

I am involved in junior development in my sport. When you're looking at someone developmentally, you can see that something in them. There is a level of ability that you have to be born with. You either have it or you don't. SoS at 25 is at the end of his development. Middle 20's onward you see reduced development. SoS won't see much more improvement, he is at his level, and he doesn't have it.

Katoa on the other hand, at 19 has that something. He will be a top half in this comp, I can assure you. Id go so far as to say, that at 19, he isnt that far behind SoS, so by mid 20s he will be so far infront its not funny.

Dolph

QLD Cup
means nothing to me look at

Jamayne, Tom Dearden same thing has been said about them too come back when they can tell you how many premerships these keyboard warriors won on field not sinking cold ones​

No need to be so defensive. Tom Dearden was rubbish when he was 18~19. Was thrown in the deep end too early. SOS is 24 or 25 now, isn't he?

Jamayne is a relevant example. I thought he was signed out of desperation. He might have been but obviously came good. SOS might be able to do that too. I just think Katoa is far more likely.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Mr C. I am now certain you're taking the piss.

SOS is never going to be a superstar.

I am involved in junior development in my sport. When you're looking at someone developmentally, you can see that something in them. There is a level of ability that you have to be born with. You either have it or you don't. SoS at 25 is at the end of his development. Middle 20's onward you see reduced development. SoS won't see much more improvement, he is at his level, and he doesn't have it.

Katoa on the other hand, at 19 has that something. He will be a top half in this comp, I can assure you. Id go so far as to say, that at 19, he isnt that far behind SoS, so by mid 20s he will be so far infront its not funny.
SoS will probably see a significant amount of first grade this year. I hope he proves mr_c mr_c right. But I'm a fan of Katoa playing halfback. He might need a bit of a rest throughout the season. Having 120kg blokes run at you over and over while leading a team around must be so hard for a 19 year-old.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
SoS will probably see a significant amount of first grade this year. I hope he proves mr_c mr_c right. But I'm a fan of Katoa playing halfback. He might need a bit of a rest throughout the season. Having 120kg blokes run at you over and over while leading a team around must be so hard for a 19 year-old.
Totally agree.

He is only young. And the more he plays the better, whilst resting him to ensure he doesn’t burn out.

Partnering him with a marquee half he can learn from or sit next to would be ideal.

Hence the reason for getting rid of SoS.

I want us to win. And not just make the top 8. I can’t see that happening with SoS or MILF starting week in week out.

It’s like the Ivan Cleary/ Luai partnership. Cleary is the main man. Watch Luai go to the tigers and do nothing. If we had someone like Reynolds partnering Katoa, you’d see him grow an extra leg every year learning from a seasoned pro. SOS is a seasoned reserve grader, and we don’t want Katoa learning from that.

Chris

QLD Cup
Totally agree.

He is only young. And the more he plays the better, whilst resting him to ensure he doesn’t burn out.

Partnering him with a marquee half he can learn from or sit next to would be ideal.

Hence the reason for getting rid of SoS.

I want us to win. And not just make the top 8. I can’t see that happening with SoS or MILF starting week in week out.

It’s like the Ivan Cleary/ Luai partnership. Cleary is the main man. Watch Luai go to the tigers and do nothing. If we had someone like Reynolds partnering Katoa, you’d see him grow an extra leg every year learning from a seasoned pro. SOS is a seasoned reserve grader, and we don’t want Katoa learning from that.
Agree except I think Katoa is like Reynolds. In a perfect world Katoa would be partnered with a good running 5/8. Like Mam.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Agree except I think Katoa is like Reynolds. In a perfect world Katoa would be partnered with a good running 5/8. Like Mam.
Not sure we will see him at halfback especially when he plays 6 for tonga there is no way they will chop and change with wolf at helm and yes we were after players that play six but I don't think they would be swapping katoa I think he would be a reserve grade player

midlands hobo

Not sure we will see him at halfback especially when he plays 6 for tonga there is no way they will chop and change with wolf at helm and yes we were after players that play six but I don't think they would be swapping katoa I think he would be a reserve grade player
Katoa didn't look out of place in the Tonga team Woolf picked him there so has faith and stuck with him. In a team not exactly lacking first grade players he looked comfortable. Just needs to kick better

Equaliser

I think Wayne will start with SoS 7 and Katoa 6 as well. I just hope he doesn't. I think halfback is Katoa's best position by far and he should be picked there to start the season. But not Katoa 7 and Niko 6. Niko's suited to an interchange utility. I hope Milf has a massive off season, finally losses that excess baggage, at least a lot if it, and is made 6 to start the season.
Katoa didn't look out of place in the Tonga team Woolf picked him there so has faith and stuck with him. In a team not exactly lacking first grade players he looked comfortable. Just needs to kick better
Yep. Needs to work on his kicking overtime this off season. That's another reason why I hope Milf starts at 6. If nothing else, he has a really good long kicking game.

Chris

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS

Has Wayne Bennett recruited the stars required to play finals in just the Dolphins’ second season?

The Dolphins - after 18 months of consistently missing out on star players for their inaugural season - stunned all and sundry in 2023. Wayne Bennett’s side won their first three games and sat fifth on the ladder after Round 10, all without a single superstar in their ranks.

A lack of depth saw them fade late in the season, but the Dolphins have now added some genuine star power in Broncos grand final duo Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler, plus Bulldogs speedster Jake Averillo.

Farnworth was picked in the Dally M Team of the Year and Flegler was one of the most important players in Brisbane’s grand final run, while Averillo was a shining light in a struggling Canterbury side.

Dolphins gun forward Tom Gilbert who was enjoying a standout 2023 season before the Maroons star had it cut short with a shoulder injury. Throw in the fact it’s Bennett’s final season in charge of the Dolphins and you’d be a brave man betting against him cracking the top eight.

Equaliser

DOLPHINS

Wing (Jack Bostock, Tesi Niu, Valence Te Whare, Edrick Lee)

Having the Dally M winger of the year in Jamayne Isaako is a huge boon, but who will hold the other side of the field is a different story.

Lee is an NRL veteran who has played at the highest level but only played one game last year. Bostock managed to get four games last year but coach Wayne Bennett may want a bit more experience.

Niu started the year on the wing last year and is considered a frontrunner, while Te Whare’s body transformation over the summer has been well-documented.

Key quote: “The difference between this year and last year is just trying to stay in that first grade squad.” – Jack Bostock

Verdict: Jack Bostock

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Didn’t we sign a young fella from the tigers as well.

I remember something along those lines happening about a month ago.

Equaliser

Every team’s most important player​

DOLPHINS

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow - This fullback has speed to burn and can turn a game on a dime with his electrifying pace. Jamayne Isaako may have led the NRL in tries and points last season but it will be the ‘Hammer’ who decides their finals fate in 2024.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I must say I am pumped for the season. Optimistic about our chances.

I think our big names will perform like big names. Everyone knows Hammer is going to play well, Flegler and Herbie too.

However, the key to the season doesn’t lie with them.

The key to our year lies directly at the feet of SoS. If he plays like dogshit, we will be top of the bottom 8. If he can step up for a season, I say bottom of the top 8.

I’d like to think, if it isn’t working early, we make a change quickly. And if that change works top 8 may still be a go.