What's new

2024 team

Josh

QLD Cup
i want see more of katoa ( i really think if we offering mam money we wouldnt want see katoa at half , especially knowing hes got one more year could be make or break for him yes is only young blah blah but would like to see more of resigning him is a option
Pretty much everyone is saying Katoa and Mam's games suit each other. I think I agree. What makes you think it isn't the case?

RTW

Pod Calf
If you are factoring Milford to have an effect on the season then you will be sorely disappointed. He is on the outer and so he should be.

Jetty

QLD Cup
If you are factoring Milford to have an effect on the season then you will be sorely disappointed. He is on the outer and so he should be.
Probably right but who is gong to play 5/8?

Josh

QLD Cup
Round is a shape
savage
Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

Red

Forum staff

Players with the most to gain this pre-season​

ISAIYA KATOA

The teenager playmaker was thrust into the NRL — and spotlight — in Round 1 last season after a highly-publicised move from the Panthers to the Dolphins. But eventually the rigours of playing first grade week-in, week-out caught up with Isaiya Katoa and the 19-year-old was dropped to the bench late in the season and was even 18th man for one game. Katoa now knows what it takes to get through a full season in the top grade and can use this pre-season to ensure he’s ready to cement his spot in the halves for all of 2024.

Huge year. Is he going to be a star or a journeyman? Really needs some help with a decent 5/8. Wayne must have a plan that isn't SOS at halfback and Katoa at 5/8.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Players with the most to gain this pre-season​

ISAIYA KATOA

The teenager playmaker was thrust into the NRL — and spotlight — in Round 1 last season after a highly-publicised move from the Panthers to the Dolphins. But eventually the rigours of playing first grade week-in, week-out caught up with Isaiya Katoa and the 19-year-old was dropped to the bench late in the season and was even 18th man for one game. Katoa now knows what it takes to get through a full season in the top grade and can use this pre-season to ensure he’s ready to cement his spot in the halves for all of 2024.

Huge year. Is he going to be a star or a journeyman? Really needs some help with a decent 5/8. Wayne must have a plan that isn't SOS at halfback and Katoa at 5/8.
If anything, Katoa should be half and SOS 5/8 unless Wayne thinks SOS is the long term halfback in front of Katoa.

Jetty

QLD Cup
If anything, Katoa should be half and SOS 5/8 unless Wayne thinks SOS is the long term halfback in front of Katoa.
Agree. Surely Katoa has to start the year at halfback. Give him at least several weeks unless he totally screws up and loses confidence.

Red

Forum staff

DOLPHINS

Key positional battles: Five-eighth/halfback
Verdict:
The fact the Dolphins have gone so hard to try to sign Ezra Mam for 2025 shows they have identified the need for a running five-eighth. Young Isaiya Katoa is learning the ropes, but he needs to put the foot down in 2024. Which brings us to Anthony Milford who is now most definitely on his last chance.

At his best, there’s no disputing Milford is the standout of the Dolphins’ available halves. But at 29, Milford has promised it all before and failed to deliver. Like last pre-season when he paid the price for not training hard enough over the summer and gave Katoa the jump.

While it would be a shock to see Milford upstage either Katoa or Sean O’Sullivan to start the season, Milford certainly has the capabilities to be in charge of his own destiny. Kodi Nikorima’s utility value and unquestionable commitment also makes him a must pick somewhere in the 17.

I agree regarding Milf but I just don't like the halves combo of Katoa and SOS. They are both halfbacks for me.

Dolph

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS

Key positional battles: Five-eighth/halfback
Verdict:
The fact the Dolphins have gone so hard to try to sign Ezra Mam for 2025 shows they have identified the need for a running five-eighth. Young Isaiya Katoa is learning the ropes, but he needs to put the foot down in 2024. Which brings us to Anthony Milford who is now most definitely on his last chance.

At his best, there’s no disputing Milford is the standout of the Dolphins’ available halves. But at 29, Milford has promised it all before and failed to deliver. Like last pre-season when he paid the price for not training hard enough over the summer and gave Katoa the jump.

While it would be a shock to see Milford upstage either Katoa or Sean O’Sullivan to start the season, Milford certainly has the capabilities to be in charge of his own destiny. Kodi Nikorima’s utility value and unquestionable commitment also makes him a must pick somewhere in the 17.

I agree regarding Milf but I just don't like the halves combo of Katoa and SOS. They are both halfbacks for me.
The good news is that except for 5/8, this will be a VERY formidable team. If Katoa can kick on and become a really good halfback and if Jesse Bromwich can squeeze out 1 more good year, I'll back us to definitely make the finals.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
The good news is that except for 5/8, this will be a VERY formidable team. If Katoa can kick on and become a really good halfback and if Jesse Bromwich can squeeze out 1 more good year, I'll back us to definitely make the finals.
I think JB can on the back of the Flegler partnership.

He was alone this season.

Equaliser

I think JB can on the back of the Flegler partnership.

He was alone this season.
I thought Wallace was alone and JB was a passenger. Either way, there was definitely a lack of depth. One good prop short or when Gilbert went down, 2 good middle forwards short.

‘It’ll be a good year’: Dolphins Farnworth’s cryptic warning​

Marquee Dolphins signing Herbie Farnworth has issued a cryptic warning to rivals about taking his game to another level on his first day at his new club.

Farnworth hit the training paddock at Redcliffe on Monday morning for pre-season training with the Dolphins as he starts a new life on a three-year deal. And the 23-year-old, who enjoyed a stellar 2023 NRL campaign that helped propel Brisbane to the grand final, has hinted at further improvement at his new club.

“I’ve got a lot of things to improve on,” Farnworth said on Monday. “Had a little look at last season and stuff I can do better. “I won’t share fully because I don’t want to give away anything, but it’ll be a good year this year.”

On the day he was reunited with the man who signed him to Brisbane but whom he never played NRL under — Wayne Bennett — Farnworth took little time fitting into his new team colours after making the jump from city rivals the Broncos. He looked happy and healthy, having overcome niggling injuries that forced him to withdraw from England’s three-Test series whitewash of Tonga, who are led by Dolphins head-coach-in-waiting Kristian Woolf.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Michael Waqa and ryan jackson will be great asset both are young guns and i think we will see more of them

isaiya Katoa for mine if he dont fire up this year you got wonder if they willl resign him especailly after next year he has one year to go really dont see him reverting to half

Last edited:

Josh

QLD Cup
I thought Wallace was alone and JB was a passenger. Either way, there was definitely a lack of depth. One good prop short or when Gilbert went down, 2 good middle forwards short.

‘It’ll be a good year’: Dolphins Farnworth’s cryptic warning​

Marquee Dolphins signing Herbie Farnworth has issued a cryptic warning to rivals about taking his game to another level on his first day at his new club.

Farnworth hit the training paddock at Redcliffe on Monday morning for pre-season training with the Dolphins as he starts a new life on a three-year deal. And the 23-year-old, who enjoyed a stellar 2023 NRL campaign that helped propel Brisbane to the grand final, has hinted at further improvement at his new club.

“I’ve got a lot of things to improve on,” Farnworth said on Monday. “Had a little look at last season and stuff I can do better. “I won’t share fully because I don’t want to give away anything, but it’ll be a good year this year.”

On the day he was reunited with the man who signed him to Brisbane but whom he never played NRL under — Wayne Bennett — Farnworth took little time fitting into his new team colours after making the jump from city rivals the Broncos. He looked happy and healthy, having overcome niggling injuries that forced him to withdraw from England’s three-Test series whitewash of Tonga, who are led by Dolphins head-coach-in-waiting Kristian Woolf.
Herbie Farnworth
He didn't just sit around during his break either.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Michael Waqa and ryan jackson will be great asset both are young guns and i think we will see more of them

isaiya Katoa for mine if he dont fire up this year you got wonder if they willl resign him especailly after next year he has one year to go really dont see him reverting to half
Is Michael Waqa in the top 30 for next season?

Equaliser

This is where we stand. One thing for sure is that the gains are much, much better than the losses.

DOLPHINS 2024 squad:

Anthony Milford (2024), Connelly Lemuelu (2025), Edrick Lee (2024), Euan Aitken (2024), Felise Kaufusi (2025), Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (2027), Harrison Graham (2025), Herbie Farnworth (2026), Isaiya Katoa (2025), Jack Bostock (2025), Jake Averillo (2026), Jamayne Isaako (2026), Jarrod Wallace (2024), Jeremy Marshall-King (2025), Jesse Bromwich (2024), Josh Kerr (2025), Kenneath Bromwich (2025), Kodi Nikorima (2024), Mark Nicholls (2024, CO 2025), Mason Teague (2024, MO 2025), Oryn Keeley (2026), Ray Stone (2024), Robert Jennings (2024, MO 2025), Sean O’Sullivan (2025), Tesi Niu (2024), Thomas Flegler (2027) Tom Gilbert (2028), Valynce Te Whare (2024)

Development players: James Walsh (2024), Jeremiah Simbiken (2024, CO 2025), Kurt Donoghoe (2024), Max Plath (2025), Michael Waqa (2024, CO 2025), Ryan Jackson (2024, CO 2025)

2024 gains: Herbie Farnworth (Broncos), Thomas Flegler (Broncos), Jake Averillo (Bulldogs), Oryn Keeley (Knights)

2024 losses: Brenko Lee (released), Herman Ese’ese (Hull FC), Poasa Faamausili (Bulldogs), JJ Collins (unsigned)

Coach: Wayne Bennett (2025)