What's new

State of Origin 2023

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Frightening stuff.
Ponga is way, way better than Reece Walsh. But I think QLD has their measure regardless. Though I know this is controversial but I don't think they miss a whole lot regarding Cleary-Moses. Some of us are old enough to remember Joey Johns. IMO, Cleary isn't qualified to tie Joey Johns shoe laces.
Wow big call, I don't see how Ponga ever makes the origin team again now except if Walsh is injured.

Also I agree it's funny how everyone talks up Cleary so much, when there is a far greater player and more likely immortal by the time he finishes his career playing against him in Munster.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Spanked. The headbutt was stooopid as was the one back but the punch should have been a red. Jac ran in and punched from behind someone unsighted
Wouldn't have expected any less from the likes of JAC and Luai. Walsh was niggling NSW a bit and did lead with his head on Luai after he was punched by JAC, but Luai's headbutt was far far worse I thought.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Wow big call, I don't see how Ponga ever makes the origin team again now except if Walsh is injured.

Also I agree it's funny how everyone talks up Cleary so much, when there is a far greater player and more likely immortal by the time he finishes his career playing against him in Munster.
Did you watch the game Newcastle vs Sydney Roosters last weekend? I 100% stand behind that comment (Ponga a way better fullback than Walsh). If Walsh were playing behind that Newcastle team, he'd get smashed.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Did you watch the game Newcastle vs Sydney Roosters last weekend? I 100% stand behind that comment (Ponga a way better fullback than Walsh). If Walsh were playing behind that Newcastle team, he'd get smashed.
True Ponga was great in that game and has always been good for Qld at least, but Walsh is on another level and getting better and better every week. NSW have singled him out and tried to smash him both origins yet he has stood up well.

It's a great luxury to have for Qld. because Ponga is a phenomenal player too, but just not sure how to slot them both in to the same team.

Jetty

QLD Cup
True Ponga was great in that game and has always been good for Qld at least, but Walsh is on another level and getting better and better every week. NSW have singled him out and tried to smash him both origins yet he has stood up well.

It's a great luxury to have for Qld. because Ponga is a phenomenal player too, but just not sure how to slot them both in to the same team.
Walsh can only play fullback. Ponga can play almost anywhere.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Walsh can only play fullback. Ponga can play almost anywhere.
True but where and what player would you leave out right now if Ponga now were eligible? Perhaps on the wing instead of Coates/Cobbo, but they are playing awesome. He probably will end up replacing Hunt as interchange I guess once he retires, but it would be hard to leave out Walsh for Ponga right now.

Equaliser

True but where and what player would you leave out right now if Ponga now were eligible? Perhaps on the wing instead of Coates/Cobbo, but they are playing awesome. He probably will end up replacing Hunt as interchange I guess once he retires, but it would be hard to leave out Walsh for Ponga right now.
Walsh might have better games in a better team from time to time but in my opinion, Ponga has way, way, more upside. Ponga could play 5/8 even though he's a much better fullback. He played centre for Australia, didn't he?

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Walsh might have better games in a better team from time to time but in my opinion, Ponga has way, way, more upside. Ponga could play 5/8 even though he's a much better fullback. He played centre for Australia, didn't he?
He might even end up partnering Munster in some sort of unconventional halves pairing?

After the last few origin series Ponga has played, I can't believe we are now discussing how to fit him into the team. Qld. has one hell of a team for a long time.

Reactions: Red

Equaliser

He might even end up partnering Munster in some sort of unconventional halves pairing?

After the last few origin series Ponga has played, I can't believe we are now discussing how to fit him into the team. Qld. has one hell of a team for a long time.
That's left field. Not a bad idea. I think Ponga is an outstanding fullback who is also pretty good but not special in other positions. Maybe Deardon is a better pick even though he also usually plays 5/8. Maybe DCE will continue on for next year and the year after. In that time, surely a good QLD halfback will emerge.

Chris

QLD Cup

Game III team​

1. AJ Brimson

2. Xavier Coates

3. Valentine Holmes

4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

5. Murray Taulagi

6. Cameron Munster

7. Daly Cherry-Evans

8. Reuben Cotter

9. Harry Grant

10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui

11. David Fifita

12. Jeremiah Nanai

13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Ben Hunt

15. Lindsay Collins

16. Moeaki Fotuaika

17. Corey Horsburgh

Reserves:

18. Tom Dearden

19. J’maine Hopgood

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I know its a dead rubber, but anyone else not feeling it this origin?

Gonna be anti-climatic presenting the trophies down in Sydney, and I am almost starting to feel sorry for NSW fans having to endure Fittler's garbage (almost, lol).

Dolph

QLD Cup
I know its a dead rubber, but anyone else not feeling it this origin?

Gonna be anti-climatic presenting the trophies down in Sydney, and I am almost starting to feel sorry for NSW fans having to endure Fittler's garbage (almost, lol).
Fittler is really dumb, isn't he? Has he lost the plot?

Queensland team:

1. AJ Brimson
  2. Xavier Coates
  3. Valentine Holmes
  4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  5. Murray Taulagi
  6. Cameron Munster
  7. Daly Cherry-Evans (capt)
  8. Reuben Cotter
  9. Harry Grant
  10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
  11. David Fifita
  12. Jeremiah Nanai
  13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Ben Hunt
  15. Lindsay Collins
  16. Moeaki Fotuaika
  17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Tom Dearden
  19. J’maine Hopgood.
Pretty good team. The only change I would make, because Ponga ruled himself out and Walsh is suspended would be Dane Gagai to replace Hammer and Hammer to replace Brimson. I think Brimson is an excellent NRL player but not quite up to Origin.

Red

Forum staff

Queensland team:

1. AJ Brimson
  2. Xavier Coates
  3. Valentine Holmes
  4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  5. Murray Taulagi
  6. Cameron Munster
  8. Reuben Cotter
  9. Harry Grant
  10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
  11. David Fifita
  12. Jeremiah Nanai
  13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Ben Hunt
  15. Lindsay Collins
  16. Moeaki Fotuaika
  17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Tom Dearden
  19. J’maine Hopgood.
Pretty good team. The only change I would make, because Ponga ruled himself out and Walsh is suspended would be Dane Gagai to replace Hammer and Hammer to replace Brimson. I think Brimson is an excellent NRL player but not quite up to Origin.
Gagai is the past. Probably still good enough but IMO, better to look ahead with what has worked so far this series. This is a young team. I think only Hunt and DCE are over 30.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
100000% this! Maybe even bring in Papaali instead of Horsburgh to give him and Gagai the proper send-off they both deserve.

They've both played 22 and 23 games respectively, and Gagai is the 3rd highest try scorer in origin history. Whilst I believe in new blooding, I think honouring stalwarts like these 2 guys who have been a massive part of our success is more important.

Josh

QLD Cup
100000% this! Maybe even bring in Papaali instead of Horsburgh to give him and Gagai the proper send-off they both deserve.

They've both played 22 and 23 games respectively, and Gagai is the 3rd highest try scorer in origin history. Whilst I believe in new blooding, I think honouring stalwarts like these 2 guys who have been a massive part of our success is more important.
Completely agree.

Jetty

QLD Cup

Queensland team:

1. AJ Brimson
  2. Xavier Coates
  3. Valentine Holmes
  4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  5. Murray Taulagi
  6. Cameron Munster
  8. Reuben Cotter
  9. Harry Grant
  10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
  11. David Fifita
  12. Jeremiah Nanai
  13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Ben Hunt
  15. Lindsay Collins
  16. Moeaki Fotuaika
  17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Tom Dearden
  19. J’maine Hopgood.
No room for Milf in the 17🤣?

Jetty

QLD Cup
He was gonna be #10, but then 7 ate 9 and Milf ate the rest of the team, so is no room left.
Milf was hungry
Vibing Ronald Mcdonald GIF by shremps