What's new

Round 23: Dolphins vs Newcastle Knights

Josh

QLD Cup
He has tried this year for sure, and he has actually output than he did last year on 1.05 million for the Storm. But fact is, he has been overpaid this year and for a while now, based off his output 3+ years ago when he was one of the best props in the game.

His brother Kenny on the other hand, is only paid 100k a year less (650k) but I reckon he has been our worst signing. I just can't see the effort from him, and watching him laughing after games like the last one we lost, is a big kick in the guts.

For 650k Kenny's the fattest he's ever been and the least effort in games. Not an age thing either, I reckon he's just taking the piss now to be honest. Would love to see his contract cut short and $$$ spent elsewhere.

It's not published how much Wallace and Esse get, but I reckon it's fraction of what Jesse and Kenny are on. NIcholls on 500k has done better than the Bromwhiches, but Esse and Wallace have been by far our best props.
The effort is there. No doubt at all! Just the ability isn't anymore.

And I agree about Kenny. Wayne at least needs to tap one of them on the shoulder. Tell him to look for something in the ESL because no NRL clubs are going to want them.

Josh

QLD Cup
The aging forward pack was always going to be an issue this year. It will be next year as well unless there are numerous "taps on the shoulder" or if enough of the younger brigade step up. They will be a better side next year but nowhere near a playoff certainty.
Flegler is coming. Lemuelu is young. JMK only mid 20s. Gilbert early 20s. Then we have Stone, Bromwiches, Ese'ese, Wallace, Kerr (who should be in the QLD Cup), Nicholls, Kafusi all near or over 30. Retain Kafusi, Wallace, Ese'ese. If we could find suitable replacements for the rest, I'd be in favour of tapping them all in the shoulder.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
The effort is there. No doubt at all! Just the ability isn't anymore.

And I agree about Kenny. Wayne at least needs to tap one of them on the shoulder. Tell him to look for something in the ESL because no NRL clubs are going to want them.
Definitely Kenny. I was watching his retirement speech from last year recently (
) and it's clear his heart is with the Storm.

Can't blame the guy coming here at 31 for 650k a year after delivering the world for the Storm for 10+ years but only getting paid an atlas, but maybe his body, mind and heart just can't follow through, which is fair enough.

Hopefully he accepts an early tap before next year, along with Jesse, because we could spend their money elsewhere developing the club so we can exist long-term.

Anyone is only as good as their last innings.

Josh

QLD Cup
Definitely Kenny. I was watching his retirement speech from last year recently (
) and it's clear his heart is with the Storm.

Can't blame the guy coming here at 31 for 650k a year after delivering the world for the Storm for 10+ years but only getting paid an atlas, but maybe his body, mind and heart just can't follow through, which is fair enough.

Hopefully he accepts an early tap before next year, along with Jesse, because we could spend their money elsewhere developing the club so we can exist long-term.

Anyone is only as good as their last innings.
How long is he signed for? Only for next year?

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Geat seeing our guys out on the field having a laugh with the opposition after a loss like that... not.
I don't have an issue with that, it's a tough game they are a small community of professionals.

If they were having a laugh and joke during the game that's very different but game face to the whistle and then back to reality is ok to me.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I don't have an issue with that, it's a tough game they are a small community of professionals.

If they were having a laugh and joke during the game that's very different but game face to the whistle and then back to reality is ok to me.
I usually like your posts as you have a really good read on the game, but this one I can't sorry mate. They got 5 max 10 mins on the field in front of the cameras after the game. With the media ban now , they got less focus on them.

It irks me big time after the exorbitant prices to get some merch and see a few games to be considered a 'fan'. But the main reason is because it's not just a new NRL club - Redcliffe has a an old, long proud history as a club which is why a lot of us probably support them. To see new guys in our inaugural season like Kenny on 650k a year, after they just lost a game which meant we don't make finals, who have done SFA all season but are on big $$$, but are joking around like it's nothing for that 5 mins, it feels like a bit of a kick in the face.

Maybe not as much now I guess, but there has always been a certain element of tribalism especially in Qld when it comes to who you support for the footy. You'd never see all the old Broncos, or even before that in the BRL, the team you'd support lose a big game and go take photos and have a laugh with the opposition.

It's not like the Broncos, cowboys, titans, newcastle who all came out of nowhere. Just feels like bad form is all - at least wait 5-10 mins until they get into the sheds and do what they want.

Last edited:

midlands hobo

I usually like your posts as you have a really good read on the game, but this one I can't sorry mate. They got 5 max 10 mins on the field in front of the cameras after the game. With the media ban now , they got less focus on them.

It irks me big time after the exorbitant prices to get some merch and see a few games to be considered a 'fan'. But the main reason is because it's not just a new NRL club - Redcliffe has a an old, long proud history as a club which is why a lot of us probably support them. To see new guys in our inaugural season like Kenny on 650k a year, after they just lost a game which meant we don't make finals, who have done SFA all season but are on big $$$, but are joking around like it's nothing for that 5 mins, it feels like a bit of a kick in the face.

Maybe not as much now I guess, but there has always been a certain element of tribalism especially in Qld when it comes to who you support for the footy. You'd never see all the old Broncos, or even before that in the BRL, the team you'd support lose a big game and go take photos and have a laugh with the opposition.

It's not like the Broncos, cowboys, titans, newcastle who all came out of nowhere. Just feels like bad form is all - at least wait 5-10 mins until they get into the sheds and do what they want.
Don't get me wrong I used to be really pissed by it. you get tribal you expect them to be tribal after all your wallet pays their wages. You give up your time drive however many hours etc you want them at least show they care.

But to me you leave it on the field, like players shaking each others hands after a game I see it as part of the ritual and the chatting joking is part of that. It's that decompression moment.

I appreciate you not agreeing and many more people would probably side with your view than mine.

Perhaps we can agree that having a laugh and joke after the game is a smaller issue than players not pulling their weight in training and during games.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Don't get me wrong I used to be really pissed by it. you get tribal you expect them to be tribal after all your wallet pays their wages. You give up your time drive however many hours etc you want them at least show they care.

But to me you leave it on the field, like players shaking each others hands after a game I see it as part of the ritual and the chatting joking is part of that. It's that decompression moment.

I appreciate you not agreeing and many more people would probably side with your view than mine.

Perhaps we can agree that having a laugh and joke after the game is a smaller issue than players not pulling their weight in training and during games.
I get it mate. It's just maybe I still long for the glory days when the Dolphins were really the Dolphins, and there used to be an identity behind it all. Everything has changed now and maybe I am stuck in my ways, but I have always just supported Redclliffe since I was a kid, All my family and friends and their families all played here. and I thought it meant something when we got in thr NRL.

It used to be so much more than 'Phins up'. All the other teams used to hate us lol because we were Redcliffe. Souths and Wynnum were always the ones to beat, it took us so many years to finally win a grand final in the BRL It is part of of our fabric and history as an area and it was how we identified ourselves.

It really upset me seeing Kenny, Katoa, SOS and co. all laugh after the last game. I thought we were different to other NRL franchises because of our history, but really we aren't. It's just all about money now.

midlands hobo

I get it mate. It's just maybe I still long for the glory days when the Dolphins were really the Dolphins, and there used to be an identity behind it all. Everything has changed now and maybe I am stuck in my ways, but I have always just supported Redclliffe since I was a kid, All my family and friends and their families all played here. and I thought it meant something when we got in thr NRL.

It used to be so much more than 'Phins up'. All the other teams used to hate us lol because we were Redcliffe. Souths and Wynnum were always the ones to beat, it took us so many years to finally win a grand final in the BRL It is part of of our fabric and history as an area and it was how we identified ourselves.

It really upset me seeing Kenny, Katoa, SOS and co. all laugh after the last game. I thought we were different to other NRL franchises because of our history, but really we aren't. It's just all about money now.
Fully Pro sport is only about money. I remember a guy who was chairman of our club back in the day he was a very good RU ref. Never made premiership level due to injury it should have.

Anyone one game he reffed was level below premiership and a end of season mid table slog. He followed the letter of the law and called uncontested scrums when injury called for it. That meant a teams 1 player advantage in the scrum was nullified and they ended up losing.

Tuesday Morning after the game he was contacted by a barrister representing the losing team looking to sue him for being to quick to call uncontested. The basis of the claim was each league place was about 50k in sponsorship for the following season. The claim failed but the cost to the company purse was more important than them losing.

midlands hobo

As a long term bronco are you honestly saying they will be any different?

Josh

QLD Cup

Analysis = true

Red

Forum staff
Referee's boss Annesley said what Ese'ese did is against the rules but as it had no impact on the play, it was wrong to award a penalty. If that kind of thing is going to get penalised, the refs would be blowing scores pf penalties every game.

midlands hobo

Referee's boss Annesley said what Ese'ese did is against the rules but as it had no impact on the play, it was wrong to award a penalty. If that kind of thing is going to get penalised, the refs would be blowing scores pf penalties every game.
Or simply don't do stuff against the rules when the game result is in danger

Red

Forum staff
Or simply don't do stuff against the rules when the game result is in danger
He said it was an stupid thing to do but also mentioned how it happens all the time and until now has never been a penalty and shouldn't be a penalty if it has no impact on the play. I agree with that. And it wasn't as if he held on and wouldn't let go. It lasted literally less than 3 seconds.

midlands hobo

Don't get me wrong I'm guessing most of us has played various sports. You do these things, however there is a time and place. In the dying seconds of a close game you keep your discipline. To the letter of the law. I matter how pathetic it seems

Reactions: Red

midlands hobo

But still against the rules. dying mins important plays you do not give them the chance to take it off you