What's new

Round 23: Dolphins vs Newcastle Knights

Red

Forum staff
Newcastle deserved the win, we were better for 10 mins when Isaako scored 3 tries.

That's definitely our final nail in the coffin now for this year. Great seeing our guys out on the field having a laugh with the opposition after a loss like that... not.
Glad I didn't leave the TV on to see that.

Josh

QLD Cup
Every team can play "what if" at this time of the year, but .... what if the Raiders didn't kick an extra time field goal after a ref's error in Wagga; what if Jamayne landed that late conversion last weekend; what it Ese'ese didn't hold on to a jersey in the scrum today? Dolphins could easily be sitting in fifth spot on 28 points ... but they're not
What if Kafusi didn't get suspended when the team was at it's peak for a tackle which could have easily gone without even a penalty!

Red

Forum staff
Benny was pissed with the ref. Several veiled swipes. Entirely justified. Yes it was against the rules but could be penalised in for every second scrum and every 10th play the ball but isn't. Why now? It (the illegal action) had zero impact on the play.

What I don't understand is why only veiled swipes? Is Benny worried about a $3000.00 fine? I would be but his salary is considerably higher, to say the least.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Benny was pissed with the ref. Several veiled swipes. Entirely justified. Yes it was against the rules but could be penalised in for every second scrum and every 10th play the ball but isn't. Why now? It (the illegal action) had zero impact on the play.

What I don't understand is why only veiled swipes? Is Benny worried about a $3000.00 fine? I would be but his salary is considerably higher, to say the least.
Did you see his press conference? Salty old bastard hahahaha.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I reckon given the context of the game and the direction the set play was heading, it was just a really dumb move by Herman and that should be the focal point rather than the ref to be honest. But consistency by the refs has been shit all year, they need to be fix that.

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League
Did you see his press conference? Salty old bastard hahahaha.
I thought that presser was pretty disappointing from Wayne - journo was just trying to do his job, asking reasonable questions, and Wayne kept giving three or four word answers. Like it it not, part of any coach’s job is to talk to the press and give fans an insight into what they’re thinking and feeling.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
I reckon given the context of the game and the direction the set play was heading, it was just a really dumb move by Herman and that should be the focal point rather than the ref to be honest. But consistency by the refs has been shit all year, they need to be fix that.
I don't know. It wasn't as if he held onto him for 10seconds. It was literally about 3sec with the ball 20m away. Who knows what the Knights player said or did for Herman to do it. But whatever it was or wasn't, surely to be consistent the ref should have let it go.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
I thought that presser was pretty disappointing from Wayne - journo was just trying to do his job, asking reasonable questions, and Wayne kept giving three or four word answers. Like it it not, part of any coach’s job is to talk to the press and give fans an insight into what they’re thinking and feeling.
I think he was in a foul mood. He probably regrets it himself after he had time to cool down.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
It was a bit. Also strange there was only 1 journo there too. Maybe he was pissed the media didn't bother to have a proper presence for the post-match there. It's a little disrespectful.

Funny looking back at his press conference from his 900th game compared to yesterday...

Josh

QLD Cup
I think he was in a foul mood. He probably regrets it himself after he had time to cool down.
Why would he regret it? He should be in a foul mood.

BTW Titans are my second team. Were first until this year. That ref from yesterday was the same piece of shit who penalised the Titans right in front of the posts in golden point against Canberra.

The penalty was correct but they were never blown until that and Canberra did the same thing shortly before. Only difference was that it was 35m out and to the side when Canberra did it.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Why would he regret it? He should be in a foul mood.

BTW Titans are my second team. Were first until this year. That ref from yesterday was the same piece of shit who penalised the Titans right in front of the posts in golden point against Canberra.

The penalty was correct but they were never blown until that and Canberra did the same thing shortly before. Only difference was that it was 35m out and to the side when Canberra did it.
Why do you think he deserved to be in a foul mood after yesterday? The ref or the players?

Blockade

QLD Cup
Why do you think he deserved to be in a foul mood after yesterday? The ref or the players?
He's probably more disappointed in his players rather than the ref. They continue to drop off tackles, make basic errors and continue to have a lack of situational awareness. WB hates losing as much as the next guy and his pressers occasionally portray that.

Josh

QLD Cup
He's probably more disappointed in his players rather than the ref. They continue to drop off tackles, make basic errors and continue to have a lack of situational awareness. WB hates losing as much as the next guy and his pressers occasionally portray that.
Should have wrapped the game up earlier but that last penalty was a sick joke.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I agree. We were only in that game because of whatever a hip-drop tackle is, and that it allowed us to score 3 tries in the 10 mins Fitzgibbon was off because of it.

Niu missed 6 tackles, but at least he got close enough to miss them - Te Whare kept rushing the line and didn't even get close to laying a finger on the try scorer.

On the other side, Hammer missed 4 of 14 too, but more importantly, at centre had no space so got 0 attacking stats.

At the end of the day we had like 57% possession, made 60 less tackles, got a 7-5 penalty count but we missed 52 tackles (vs 31) and got dominated around our edges.

Our captain and starting front rower made 62 metres at 5 metres per run with only 22 tackles. His bro made 96 metres with only a couple more tackles. There's 1.4 million of cap space. Kenny was also having a good old time laughing right after the game where our season officially died. Not a good look.

Especially Kenny, I reckon they are just mercenaries after a good pay-packet to finish their careers. Effort hasn't been there all year, and it's pretty disappoinitng for us fans, especially considering this isn't some new club, rather one which has garnered fans over 60 years.

Last edited:

Josh

QLD Cup
I agree. We were only in that game because of whatever a hip-drop tackle is, and that it allowed us to score 3 tries in the 10 mins Fitzgibbon was off because of it.

Niu missed 6 tackles, but at least he got close enough to miss them - Te Whare kept rushing the line and didn't even get close to laying a finger on the try scorer.

On the other side, Hammer missed 4 of 14 too, but more importantly, at centre had no space so got 0 attacking stats.

At the end of the day we had like 57% possession, made 60 less tackles, got a 7-5 penalty count but we missed 52 tackles (vs 31) and got dominated around our edges.

Our captain and starting front rower made 62 metres at 5 metres per run with only 22 tackles. His bro made 96 metres with only a couple more tackles. There's 1.4 million of cap space. Kenny was also having a good old time laughing right after the game where our season officially died. Not a good look.

Especially Kenny, I reckon they are just mercenaries after a good pay-packet to finish their careers. Effort hasn't been there all year, and it's pretty disappoinitng for us fans, especially considering this isn't some new club, rather one which has garnered fans over 60 years.
Poor Jesse has been going around a year too long.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
He has tried this year for sure, and he has actually output than he did last year on 1.05 million for the Storm. But fact is, he has been overpaid this year and for a while now, based off his output 3+ years ago when he was one of the best props in the game.

His brother Kenny on the other hand, is only paid 100k a year less (650k) but I reckon he has been our worst signing. I just can't see the effort from him, and watching him laughing after games like the last one we lost, is a big kick in the guts.

For 650k Kenny's the fattest he's ever been and the least effort in games. Not an age thing either, I reckon he's just taking the piss now to be honest. Would love to see his contract cut short and $$$ spent elsewhere.

It's not published how much Wallace and Esse get, but I reckon it's fraction of what Jesse and Kenny are on. NIcholls on 500k has done better than the Bromwhiches, but Esse and Wallace have been by far our best props.

Blockade

QLD Cup
The aging forward pack was always going to be an issue this year. It will be next year as well unless there are numerous "taps on the shoulder" or if enough of the younger brigade step up. They will be a better side next year but nowhere near a playoff certainty.