What's new

Recruitment and retention

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team

Stars with most to gain in Nov 1 feeding frenzy as big pay rises loom​

CONNELLY LEMUELU

The Dolphins’ back-rower started all 18 of his games for Wayne Bennett’s side last season, becoming a reliable workhorse on the edge on both sides of the ball. Lemuelu has scored eight tries in 41 games at the Dolphins taking his career tally to 12 in 65 matches, after debuting for the Cowboys in 2020. The 26-year-old ran for 1,440 metres to go with three linebreaks, 28 tackle busts, three try assists and 512 tackles last season.

Leumuelu’s consistency was a big reason the Dolphins finished within a whisker of a maiden finals appearance and he is expected to go to another level again in 2025 under new coach Kristian Woolf. However, the Dolphins may have to break the bank to keep Lemuelu, with no shortage of clubs on the lookout for quality back-rowers from November 1, which should drive up his asking price.

The Eels are one club who could be in the market for back rowers, with Shaun Lane making a move into the middle forwards this year and Ryan Matterson’s season being plagued by injuries. Matterson has been given permission to talk to rivals, which could open a path for Jason Ryles to make a play for Lemuelu.

Elsewhere, the Broncos’ back row recruits in 2024 in Fletcher Baker and Jaiyden Hunt didn’t have the seasons they were anticipating, while Jack Gosiewski broke his arm very early in his Brisbane career. Lemuelu could be the perfect man to take over an edge slot and partner Jordan Riki, however it remains to be seen if the club have cap space to work with.

I'll be frank and say it was a poor year from Connelly. He might not even get an offer from the Dolphins.
I think it was a poor year compared to his first.

I'm mixed about it really. Id offer him another contract (on the strength of year one), however not enormous