What's new

Recruitment and retention

mr_c

QLD Cup
Mr.c.

One thing I know for certain. Wherever you are getting your information from, must have cheap beers on tap.
no need for beer where i get my sources from pal,
come back when you learn all about the different contract clauses

likes regan n corey n few others getting shoped wont need anything paid for by there club nor there new club to release them

Horsburgh is signed until the end of 2027 but his manager Jeff Jurotte last week approached the Raiders to have him released from the final three years of his contract.
that line there is a perfect example that no money will change to let him go

Chris

QLD Cup
no need for beer where i get my sources from pal,
come back when you learn all about the different contract clauses

likes regan n corey n few others getting shoped wont need anything paid for by there club nor there new club to release them

Horsburgh is signed until the end of 2027 but his manager Jeff Jurotte last week approached the Raiders to have him released from the final three years of his contract.
that line there is a perfect example that no money will change to let him go
Canberra will pay part of his salary and that will come out of Canberra's salary cap or he will stay at Canberra until his contract is over.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Canberra will pay part of his salary and that will come out of Canberra's salary cap or he will stay at Canberra until his contract is over.
come back when you can prove that , the fact that it says hes released from his finial years tells nothing will be pal

Jetty

QLD Cup
I am not sure where you get your information from.

You are correct, some players have options in their Favour. They also have options in the clubs Favour. However, that comes into play in relation to the length of the contract.

You're talking about a club just releasing a player (I would say they just straight out release him - 9.59am 4/8/24 - Mr C post). A club can't just release a player, unless they have an option in the clubs favor. And that option can only be exercised at the end of the binding term. My point is, the club needs to pay out any outstanding length of the contract if a player is released early. Players in the NRL aren't released early (they usually come to an agreement or an agreement with a third party club), because the releasing club takes a salary cap hit, and doing that is literally fucking stupid. Because not only do they have to pay the term out, the player can then earn whatever the new club pays him. Basically, the releasing club is paying the release player to play elsewhere ad crippling their own teams cap.

So what actually happens is they find a new club willing to pay part of the contract. For example, Mbye moving from The bulldogs to the Dragons

“He’s rumoured to be on about $900,000 a year. That’s going to create some salary cap room OK.

“Second to that you are going to get some clubs who are interested as long as Canterbury pay some of the freight.

Its hard to explain it on a forum. But it's how clubs shed players, and other clubs recruit cost efficient players.

And its common practice in the NRL
Sometimes they play childish little games to try and "trick" a club into signing the unwanted player. In this case, Raiders agreed to put it out there Horsburgh is being let go not because of form but because of a breakdown in his relationship with the coach. Rickey is a ruthless competitor but this is just embarrassingly stupid.

mr_c

QLD Cup
hence Sometimes they play childish little games to try and "trick" a club into signing the unwanted player. In this case, Raiders agreed to put it out there Horsburgh is being let go not because of form but because of a breakdown in his relationship with the coach. Rickey is a ruthless competitor but this is just embarrassingly stupid

excatly when every you hear they been shopped around , no money generally changes hands

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Sometimes they play childish little games to try and "trick" a club into signing the unwanted player. In this case, Raiders agreed to put it out there Horsburgh is being let go not because of form but because of a breakdown in his relationship with the coach. Rickey is a ruthless competitor but this is just embarrassingly stupid.
Yep, however if you add trickery to what I am trying to explain Mr.c it would confuse the matter, totally.

I am trying to explain to him how it works, and you can see how well that's going.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
excatly when every you hear they been shopped around , no money generally changes hands
No money ever changes hands in the NRL. We have no cash transfer system, and clubs do not purchase players. The NRL and the EPL are very different.

Noafaluma (sp?) is one of the first players to be loaned to a club, and covid saw players being loaned as well. Other than that, contracts expiring or being terminated is the way player change clubs.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
come back when you can prove that , the fact that it says hes released from his finial years tells nothing will be pal

Corey Horsburgh is reportedly most likely to end up at St George Illawarra Dragons after he requested a release from his Raiders contract amid tension between him and coach Ricky Stuart.

HE REQUESTED A RELEASE, THE CLUB DIDNT RELEASE HIM.

FOR GOD SAKES.

It is different to the club releasing him against his will. WHICH HASNT HAPPENED. Raider won't pay anything, because they are willing to accept his request for a release. It's very different to a club releasing a player that doesn't want to go, which was your first point I quoted last page. (mr.c - pg80 of this thread 9.59am 04/-04/24 - i would say they just straight out release him if they given the option to look most seem to do that these days when given the option to look)

Most clubs don't just release players. Because they will pay the players contract out if that's the case. Its different to a player seeking to go.

This whole argument has shown me I have farm too much time on my hands. mr.c you're welcome to your ill-informed position, I am happy to help anyone willing to listen. Also, happy to put my hand up when I am wrong. But this has gone beyond a joke.

I think you're getting confused with some of the different players and all the different situations and contract clauses. All we started saying was you cant just straight out release someone because you just pay for it anyway. So clubs look for someone to soften the blow and pay fo rthe salary.

Last edited:

mr_c

QLD Cup

Corey Horsburgh is reportedly most likely to end up at St George Illawarra Dragons after he requested a release from his Raiders contract amid tension between him and coach Ricky Stuart.

HE REQUESTED A RELEASE, THE CLUB DIDNT RELEASE HIM.

FOR GOD SAKES.

It is different to the club releasing him against his will. WHICH HASNT HAPPENED. Raider won't pay anything, because they are willing to accept his request for a release. It's very different to a club releasing a player that doesn't want to go, which was your first point I quoted last page. (mr.c - pg80 of this thread 9.59am 04/-04/24 - i would say they just straight out release him if they given the option to look most seem to do that these days when given the option to look)

This whole argument has shown me I have farm too much time on my hands. mr.c you're welcome to your ill-informed position, I am happy to help anyone willing to listen. Also, happy to put my hand up when I am wrong. But this has gone beyond a joke.

I think you're getting confused with some of the different players and all the different situations and contract clauses. All we started saying was you cant just straight out release someone because you just pay for it anyway. So clubs look for someone to soften the blow and pay fo rthe salary.
lol you explain , nothing mate because i know all i need to know from ex and current nrl players officials n agents come back when you can actually say it comes outta there mouths theres stuff that goes on in contracts you will never know

so take your time and use it for someone that needs it

Jetty

QLD Cup
lol you explain , nothing mate because i know all i need to know from ex and current nrl players officials n agents come back when you can actually say it comes outta there mouths theres stuff that goes on in contracts you will never know

so take your time and use it for someone that needs it
What am I missing? Are you saying clubs don't let go of players if they have to pay anything for the remainder of that players contract? Or it's not counted under the cap for that team?

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I never know what he is trying to say, because he twists and turns and changes.

I have never done this on a forum in my life, however, I have put him on ignore. Because it's just not worth my time really.

When I have someone insulting my intelligence, in text that is practically illegible. Well, that says it all really.

There is a lot on here that have plenty of good to add, and I enjoy reading their posts. keep it up.

Thank god I won't be able to see his anymore. Don't think I'll miss much really.

The part I loved the most is when he said to come with the fact/ show him proof, so I post articles, only for him to disregard them. Its beyond belief how the blind can lead the blind in some respects.

Blockade

QLD Cup

I have never done this on a forum in my life, however, I have put him on ignore. Because it's just not worth my time really.

When I have someone insulting my intelligence, in text that is practically illegible. Well, that says it all really.

There is a lot on here that have plenty of good to add, and I enjoy reading their posts. keep it up.

Thank god I won't be able to see his anymore. Don't think I'll miss much really.

The part I loved the most is when he said to come with the fact/ show him proof, so I post articles, only for him to disregard them. Its beyond belief how the blind can lead the blind in some respects.
He does the same thing on fb. Most people pay little attention to him. Not a bad guy, big fan of the game. But he is full of shit at the best of times.

Jetty

QLD Cup

I don't mind his posts usually but in this case, I just don't understand.
Is he saying players don't move clubs if they are still under contract?
Clubs players go to have to pick up all of the players salary? That is true in some cases but not usually. I think wherever Holmes goes, that club will have to pick up all of his salary otherwise NQ will hang onto him.
If the former club is paying part of his salary, it's not counted under the cap?
Something else?

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
He does the same thing on fb. Most people pay little attention to him. Not a bad guy, big fan of the game. But he is full of shit at the best of times.
I see, all good I have blocked him. I don't have time to talk rubbish to people who clearly have no idea.

I do enjoy your post in particular. Hope you don't get grief on FB

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I don't mind his posts usually but in this case, I just don't understand.
Is he saying players don't move clubs if they are still under contract?
Clubs players go to have to pick up all of the players salary? That is true in some cases but not usually. I think wherever Holmes goes, that club will have to pick up all of his salary otherwise NQ will hang onto him.
If the former club is paying part of his salary, it's not counted under the cap?
Something else?
Dude, that's the point. I have tried to accommodate and understand. I think his lack of understand about what he is talking about, makes it very unclear what he is trying to say. And when you explain, and give examples, only to be told you're wrong and have no idea and to come back with facts. Which you then do, only to be told you're still wrong, shows a lack of understanding on his behalf to me.

I am just thankful I don't get to read anymore of his drivel.

One thing I didn't know, is when you put someone on ignore, not only do you not get any new posts from them, it also deletes all their old ones. So, I no longer have to read how he bagged out Katoa in favor of SoS anymore. :LOL::ROFLMAO:😅😂🤣

Dolph

QLD Cup
Dude, that's the point. I have tried to accommodate and understand. I think his lack of understand about what he is talking about, makes it very unclear what he is trying to say. And when you explain, and give examples, only to be told you're wrong and have no idea and to come back with facts. Which you then do, only to be told you're still wrong, shows a lack of understanding on his behalf to me.

I am just thankful I don't get to read anymore of his drivel.

One thing I didn't know, is when you put someone on ignore, not only do you not get any new posts from them, it also deletes all their old ones. So, I no longer have to read how he bagged out Katoa in favor of SoS anymore. :LOL::ROFLMAO:😅😂🤣
I don't understand what he has against Katoa either. Is it something personal? I don't see how anyone rates him poorly as a RL player.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
I don't understand what he has against Katoa either. Is it something personal? I don't see how anyone rates him poorly as a RL player.
It's only a question of how good he will become. If he was on the market now he'd be fielding offers of over 1mil a year. I don't think he's worth that right now but with so few good young halfbacks, I think there might be a bidding war. Wayne would love to have him at Souths.

Chris

QLD Cup
What kind of proof do you want? If all parties and the NRL say Canberra are picking up part, probably a large part, of his salary while he plays elsewhere, is that enough?