What's new

Recruitment and retention

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Been in NSW Cup for most of the year.
Yeah I get that, he is a project a team needs to take a punt on, probably because he needs turning around.

TPJ is probably a similar type of player, that seems to be working well in our team.

If Wolff is the coach we think he might be, maybe he can turn him around. He was in good form not too long ago was well.

Just my thoughts

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Yeah I get that, he is a project a team needs to take a punt on, probably because he needs turning around.

TPJ is probably a similar type of player, that seems to be working well in our team.

If Wolff is the coach we think he might be, maybe he can turn him around. He was in good form not too long ago was well.

Just my thoughts
I don't disagree about your opinion of him but I think we are maybe ok for props or middle forwards. Probably a few I'm missing but so far at least we have:
  • Kenny B
  • Kafusi
  • Gilbert
  • Plath
  • Kerr
  • Flegler
  • Nicholls
Probably 1 or 2 newcomers like Jackson or Keeley. I can see why the coach doesn't seem to be really concerned about recruiting middle forwards.

mr_c

QLD Cup
not corey know he be given release to play for next season if came here , woolf be looking for side that he can take long term like he did in uk so young guys will be where he be looking at

Equaliser

Parra letting RCG go , I would prefer him with Parra chipping in $$
Depends how much Parra are chipping in but in principle, I like it too. If Wolff is even looking for more middle forwards. He pulled out of the contest for the Tigers prop very early. Did he get together with his staff and decide the team didn't need another prop?

mr_c

QLD Cup
Depends how much Parra are chipping in but in principle, I like it too. If Wolff is even looking for more middle forwards. He pulled out of the contest for the Tigers prop very early. Did he get together with his staff and decide the team didn't need another prop?
i would say they just straight out release him if they given the option to look most seem to do that these days when given the option to look

mr_c

QLD Cup
Depends on how many years he has left, if they release him, they take a cap hit if he has time left.

Thats why they end up having to pay left over amounts if they move elsewhere.
more depends on what there contract agreement is coreys deal perfect example they released him from the last two years

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
more depends on what there contract agreement is coreys deal perfect example they released him from the last two years
Corey asked for a release because he was playing lower grades. And if the club agrees, then there is nothing to pay. Again, it depends.

However, if the player has 5 years, and the club wants to release him after 3, but the player wants to stay and fight for his place in the team. The club either pays out his contract, and it goes to the salary cap, or they find him another club, he is willing to join, and have them pay part of that owing salary. If they can find a club, the salary cap hit is the remaining salary minus what the new club pays. Hence a club would be mad to just release a player they don't want, who is unwilling to leave.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Corey asked for a release because he was playing lower grades. And if the club agrees, then there is nothing to pay. Again, it depends.

However, if the player has 5 years, and the club wants to release him after 3, but the player wants to stay and fight for his place in the team. The club either pays out his contract, and it goes to the salary cap, or they find him another club, he is willing to join, and have them pay part of that owing salary. If they can find a club, the salary cap hit is the remaining salary minus what the new club pays. Hence a club would be mad to just release a player they don't want, who is unwilling to leave.
lol whens the last time that happened ( most players have whats called player options , go read the finer print of those terms even if two years to go they cut ties , cant recall any player sinxe dwz that had that happen but that was because he never had a player option clause

Equaliser

lol whens the last time that happened ( most players have whats called player options , go read the finer print of those terms even if two years to go they cut ties , cant recall any player sinxe dwz that had that happen but that was because he never had a player option clause
It happens a lot. Every season and almost every club has one or two players still under contract they want to let go. Typically they have to pay part of that players salary to play elsewhere and it comes out of their salary cap. That's confusing, isn't it?

Team A has a player under contract for this year and the next 2 but wants to let him go for any number of reasons. Not happy with the output, needing to get under the cap, want to free up a roster spot for someone else, want to upgrade someone and more.

Team B recruits that player under the provision Team A pays 15% of his salary for the next 2 years. That 15% comes out of Team As salary cap.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I am not sure where you get your information from.

You are correct, some players have options in their Favour. They also have options in the clubs Favour. However, that comes into play in relation to the length of the contract.

You're talking about a club just releasing a player (I would say they just straight out release him - 9.59am 4/8/24 - Mr C post). A club can't just release a player, unless they have an option in the clubs favor. And that option can only be exercised at the end of the binding term. My point is, the club needs to pay out any outstanding length of the contract if a player is released early. Players in the NRL aren't released early (they usually come to an agreement or an agreement with a third party club), because the releasing club takes a salary cap hit, and doing that is literally fucking stupid. Because not only do they have to pay the term out, the player can then earn whatever the new club pays him. Basically, the releasing club is paying the release player to play elsewhere ad crippling their own teams cap.

So what actually happens is they find a new club willing to pay part of the contract. For example, Mbye moving from The bulldogs to the Dragons

“He’s rumoured to be on about $900,000 a year. That’s going to create some salary cap room OK.

“Second to that you are going to get some clubs who are interested as long as Canterbury pay some of the freight.

Its hard to explain it on a forum. But it's how clubs shed players, and other clubs recruit cost efficient players.

And its common practice in the NRL

mr_c

QLD Cup
I am not sure where you get your information from.

You are correct, some players have options in their Favour. They also have options in the clubs Favour. However, that comes into play in relation to the length of the contract.

You're talking about a club just releasing a player (I would say they just straight out release him - 9.59am 4/8/24 - Mr C post). A club can't just release a player, unless they have an option in the clubs favor. And that option can only be exercised at the end of the binding term. My point is, the club needs to pay out any outstanding length of the contract if a player is released early. Players in the NRL aren't released early (they usually come to an agreement or an agreement with a third party club), because the releasing club takes a salary cap hit, and doing that is literally fucking stupid. Because not only do they have to pay the term out, the player can then earn whatever the new club pays him. Basically, the releasing club is paying the release player to play elsewhere ad crippling their own teams cap.

So what actually happens is they find a new club willing to pay part of the contract. For example, Mbye moving from The bulldogs to the Dragons

“He’s rumoured to be on about $900,000 a year. That’s going to create some salary cap room OK.

“Second to that you are going to get some clubs who are interested as long as Canterbury pay some of the freight.

Its hard to explain it on a forum. But it's how clubs shed players, and other clubs recruit cost efficient players.

And its common practice in the NRL

lol that happened so long ago an the fact they let him go 18months latter would suggest they didnt pay any

i myself no what nrl contracts have in them my ex works in nrl and i can tell you theres very few that would be getting paid out by another club

reason i say this is one thing clauses the players that have player options , usually have a tone of them in there contract

is basicially the players on penuts that dont hence storm getting stefan so cheap hence blaize getting cheap

i know what above you said mens but theres so much more in contracts that clubs dont need pay a cent .

hence why i said give examples that was so long ago recent contracts wouldnt have them in now

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
lol that happened so long ago an the fact they let him go 18months latter would suggest they didnt pay any

i myself no what nrl contracts have in them my ex works in nrl and i can tell you theres very few that would be getting paid out by another club

reason i say this is one thing clauses the players that have player options , usually have a tone of them in there contract

is basicially the players on penuts that dont hence storm getting stefan so cheap hence blaize getting cheap

i know what above you said mens but theres so much more in contracts that clubs dont need pay a cent .

hence why i said give examples that was so long ago recent contracts wouldnt have them in now
Both Blaize and Stef wanted releases. The club didn’t want them to go. That’s totally different.

The storm and panthers aren’t getting them cheap. They are paying a mutually agreed amount. Less then at their previous clubs because they want to play for winners.