What's new

Recruitment and retention

Dolph

QLD Cup
I think that's the issue. He only plays well when others around him play well and help him. He can't actually carry his own game or anyone else.
I see. I don't watch much of the Tigers but from what I have watched of them recently, Bateman is still a standout but this time in a very poor team.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I think that's the issue. He only plays well when others around him play well and help him. He can't actually carry his own game or anyone else.
Milf is a bit the same... flat track bully. Haas after quite a few origins against elite forward packs hasn't stood out in them either like he has club level.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Milf is a bit the same... flat track bully. Haas after quite a few origins against elite forward packs hasn't stood out in them either like he has club level.
Maybe there is something to be said about Wayne's philosophy in not offering huge money to props. Money that others are willing to pay.

Even though according to reports I've read, right now Haas isn't on a lot more than Jesse Bromwich.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Maybe there is something to be said about Wayne's philosophy in not offering huge money to props. Money that others are willing to pay.

Even though according to reports I've read, right now Haas isn't on a lot more than Jesse Bromwich.
Bromwich is on 750k/year and Haas is currently on 850k/year. Crazy to think about what Haas has delivered for an extra 100k a year compared to him, wow.

Josh

QLD Cup
Bromwich is on 750k/year and Haas is currently on 850k/year. Crazy to think about what Haas has delivered for an extra 100k a year compared to him, wow.
Bromwich on last years form isn't bad for that much. But he hasn't earned it this year. Haas on that much is a steal for the Broncos but that's why they are going to have to pay up to keep him.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Bromwich on last years form isn't bad for that much. But he hasn't earned it this year. Haas on that much is a steal for the Broncos but that's why they are going to have to pay up to keep him.
Last year Jesse only averaged 93 metres, 38 PCM, 0.95 offloads, 25 tackles, 0.8 tackle busts and really didn't have much general impact as the leader of their forward pack. This year he's actually slightly bettered most of those stats which is quite strange.

Compared to the elite props like Haas, RCG, Tino, Tapine, Klemmer, Fonua Blake - who were being paid 800k-1 mill - last year they were all averaging around 160m, 55-75 PCM, 1-2 tackle busts, 2 offloads and 30-40 tackles.

They were all outputting 80-100% more attacking stats and 25-35% more tackles than Jesse, and I feel had a significantly bigger impact on games and leading their forward packs that's stats won't show, whilst only getting paid 100-200k more.

I'm a stats nerd sorry, and I know it doesn't paint the full picture, I just find it interesting. Really there are 7-8 absolute elite props in the game who are so far above the rest. But then there is a bunch of mid-range props whose output is significantly less, but their salaries not so much. It's like the elite props are creating a false market value which all other props are being judged by.

Josh

QLD Cup
Last year Jesse only averaged 93 metres, 38 PCM, 0.95 offloads, 25 tackles, 0.8 tackle busts and really didn't have much general impact as the leader of their forward pack. This year he's actually slightly bettered most of those stats which is quite strange.

Compared to the elite props like Haas, RCG, Tino, Tapine, Klemmer, Fonua Blake - who were being paid 800k-1 mill - last year they were all averaging around 160m, 55-75 PCM, 1-2 tackle busts, 2 offloads and 30-40 tackles.

They were all outputting 80-100% more attacking stats and 25-35% more tackles than Jesse, and I feel had a significantly bigger impact on games and leading their forward packs that's stats won't show, whilst only getting paid 100-200k more.

I'm a stats nerd sorry, and I know it doesn't paint the full picture, I just find it interesting. Really there are 7-8 absolute elite props in the game who are so far above the rest. But then there is a bunch of mid-range props whose output is significantly less, but their salaries not so much. It's like the elite props are creating a false market value which all other props are being judged by.
Jesse, like the rest of the team, was going pretty well in the early to mid part of the season. When Tommy Gilbert and JMK went down, particularly Tommy, we really needed Jesse to step up. He couldn't do it. Been clearly overshadowed by Wallace and Ese'ese.

Josh

QLD Cup
The Dolphins have extended Maroons second-rower Tom Gilbert on a mammoth new deal that will keep him at the club until the end of 2028.

Gilbert, who is out for the season after suffering a shoulder injury in the Origin opener, was already signed until 2025 but has now extended for three years.

The 22-year-old made his NRL debut for the Cowboys in 2020 but wanted to return home to Brisbane and reached out to coach Wayne Bennett when the Dolphins were announced as the NRL’s 17th team.

No word how much he is on. I reckon 750k a year is about right.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
The Dolphins have extended Maroons second-rower Tom Gilbert on a mammoth new deal that will keep him at the club until the end of 2028.

Gilbert, who is out for the season after suffering a shoulder injury in the Origin opener, was already signed until 2025 but has now extended for three years.

The 22-year-old made his NRL debut for the Cowboys in 2020 but wanted to return home to Brisbane and reached out to coach Wayne Bennett when the Dolphins were announced as the NRL’s 17th team.

No word how much he is on. I reckon 750k a year is about right.
Awesome news for mine. Has done well so far for us.

Josh

QLD Cup

Tom Gilbert: By the numbers​

• DoB: August 5, 2000
  • Debut: 2020
  • Clubs: Cowboys, Dolphins
  • Positions: Second-row, lock
  • Height: 185cm
  • Weight: 101kg

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
I'm starting to look at the Whare and thinking more and more he's be good at 11/12

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
He's gassed after 10min at centre. He'd last about a minute in the forwards.

It's a big off season for him. He either improves his fitness or he plays in the QLD Cup.
If he can improve his fitness he'd be good a strike 2nd rower off the bench for some impact, but not as an 80 min player. Unless there are injuries to Herbie and Averillo and then even Aitken, I can't see him getting a game in the centres next year, so hopefully he has a big off-season.

2nd row might even be easier for him to defend in as he seems to have trouble due to lack of experience knowing when to come in or hold back as centre/wing, plus he can't move laterally to defend well.

All comes down to his fitness like you said, I really hope he works on this and comes through, he does have potential.

Jetty

QLD Cup
If he can improve his fitness he'd be good a strike 2nd rower off the bench for some impact, but not as an 80 min player. Unless there are injuries to Herbie and Averillo and then even Aitken, I can't see him getting a game in the centres next year, so hopefully he has a big off-season.

2nd row might even be easier for him to defend in as he seems to have trouble due to lack of experience knowing when to come in or hold back as centre/wing, plus he can't move laterally to defend well.

All comes down to his fitness like you said, I really hope he works on this and comes through, he does have potential.
Second rowers usually play 80min. The best do. If he gets fitter so that he doesn't miss tackles, I think he'd do well at centre with Herbie the other.