What's new

Recruitment and retention

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup

Dolphins raid Dragons to poach young gun​

Wollongong local Jack Bostock will debut for the Dolphins this weekend — and another Dragons youngster is set to join Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins​

The Dolphins have snuck under St George Illawarra’s guard to grab another one of their rising stars, agreeing to a deal with SG Ball back-rower James Walsh.
The teenager has scored some barnstorming tries for the Steelers and it is understood the Dolphins have signed him from next season as they continue to build on the good work they have done through the early rounds of 2023.

It’s not the first time the NRL’s newest club has raided St George Illawarra: Dolphins debutant Jack Bostock will this weekend be unleashed on the Dragons club that helped deliver the NSW Origin prospect to the NRL. Bostock, 19, will make his NRL debut for the Dolphins in Saturday’s clash with St George Illawarra in his home town Wollongong.

A classy centre in the juniors, Bostock will make his debut on the wing for the injured Tesi Niu (knee) after being wooed to Redcliffe by super coach Wayne Bennett when the Dragons let down their guard.
Anyone seen Walsh play? Is he any good?

Chris

QLD Cup
Anyone seen Walsh play? Is he any good?
Probably too early to have seen him play or think he's going to make it in the NRL. The NSWRL hierarchy of competitions goes SG Ball > Jersey Flegg > NSW Cup > NRL. Wayne and/or the recruitment staff obviously see something in him but still very early to say he's going to be a good signing.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Probably too early to have seen him play or think he's going to make it in the NRL. The NSWRL hierarchy of competitions goes SG Ball > Jersey Flegg > NSW Cup > NRL. Wayne and/or the recruitment staff obviously see something in him but still very early to say he's going to be a good signing.
WTF are you talking about, "too early"? He's going to be in the NRL next year and be a superstar by 2025.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup

Impressive Dolphin set to extend time at expansion club​

Connelly Lemuelu is reportedly set to become the second player to agree to a contract extension at expansion club the Dolphins.

The NRL's 17th club, who are preparing to play the St George Illawarra Dragons this weekend, have made an unexpectedly positive start to their existence in the competition, winning all of their first three games against the Sydney Roosters, Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights, before pushing the undefeated Brisbane Broncos all the way to the finish line last weekend despite injuries and suspensions impacting their 17.

One of the breakout stars under the coaching of Wayne Bennett has been former centre turned second-rower Connell Lemuelu.

Unable to break into the North Queensland Cowboys' best 17 during his time in Townsville, the 24-year-old Auckland-born forward has now played all four games, with the first two off the bench, and the last two in the starting side.

According to News Corp, his impressive performances will buy him an extra season in Redcliffe, with the club set to confirm a contract extension.

--- https://www.zerotackle.com/impressive-dolphin-set-to-extend-time-at-expansion-club-148574/

Josh

QLD Cup

Impressive Dolphin set to extend time at expansion club​

Connelly Lemuelu is reportedly set to become the second player to agree to a contract extension at expansion club the Dolphins.

The NRL's 17th club, who are preparing to play the St George Illawarra Dragons this weekend, have made an unexpectedly positive start to their existence in the competition, winning all of their first three games against the Sydney Roosters, Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights, before pushing the undefeated Brisbane Broncos all the way to the finish line last weekend despite injuries and suspensions impacting their 17.

One of the breakout stars under the coaching of Wayne Bennett has been former centre turned second-rower Connell Lemuelu.

Unable to break into the North Queensland Cowboys' best 17 during his time in Townsville, the 24-year-old Auckland-born forward has now played all four games, with the first two off the bench, and the last two in the starting side.

According to News Corp, his impressive performances will buy him an extra season in Redcliffe, with the club set to confirm a contract extension.

--- https://www.zerotackle.com/impressive-dolphin-set-to-extend-time-at-expansion-club-148574/
Lemuelu has been outstanding!

Chris

QLD Cup
Big props on a brand new club. Seen some of the absolute shit Bennett has bought over the last decade?>
Like who? Apart from MILF. We all know Broncos fans have a big problem with him. Probably justified. He needed to eat less and train more. He still needs to do that but isn't on a mil a season to be fat now.

Nashy

Broncos Scout
Like who? Apart from MILF. We all know Broncos fans have a big problem with him. Probably justified. He needed to eat less and train more. He still needs to do that but isn't on a mil a season to be fat now.

Tell me you don't know much about Bennett's history without telling me.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
He has had some clangers over the years for sure. His biggest asset is often his biggest weakness - he grows really close with his players. Perhaps he makes choices based on his heart rather than his head sometimes because of this.

Chris

QLD Cup
Quite a bit. I could refer you to the Wikipedia page. What part of his history are you talking about?
He has had some clangers over the years for sure. His biggest asset is often his biggest weakness - he grows really close with his players. Perhaps he makes choices based on his heart rather than his head sometimes because of this.
Of course Darius is the one I forgot. I think Wayne signed him to 4 years when he was already on the slide. The last 2 years were painful to watch and I believe he was still contracted for another year when he eventually retired.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Quite a bit. I could refer you to the Wikipedia page. What part of his history are you talking about?

Of course Darius is the one I forgot. I think Wayne signed him to 4 years when he was already on the slide. The last 2 years were painful to watch and I believe he was still contracted for another year when he eventually retired.
Thurston too... oh wait, he was too small and too slow for Wayne, lol.

Nashy

Broncos Scout
Melbourne offered him more money or he just didn't like the Broncos?

Priddis was at the Broncos, he saw a better path to and NRL spot at Melbourne. The deal was the same money from both clubs apparently.

Josh

QLD Cup
Priddis was at the Broncos, he saw a better path to and NRL spot at Melbourne. The deal was the same money from both clubs apparently.
Damn! In hindsight that's really too bad for the Broncos. But at least they have stopped chasing Bellamy. After being rejected the first time, surely it was time to move on but no....