What's new

Recruitment and retention

Red

Forum staff
Never been there but Woolongong looks like s really nice place. I think they are a formidable team to compete with in regard to recruitment.
Never been either but I saw where Paul Vaughan used to live. Maybe still does. When he had the BBQ during the worst of the Covid restrictions. Looks like a really nice place if one has a bit of money.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Its a lovely place to live, Id go all the time when i lived in NSW

The issue is, all the young fellas with heaps of cash want to live in sydney, with the big night life. And dont want to be traveling 1 hour 20 mins to and from work everyday.

I know I wouldn't be driving 80-90 mins just for work. Add to that Sydney traffic if you don't live in Sutherland shire.

If you are from the Gong its fine, if youre not, its a lot harder.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Never been there but Woolongong looks like s really nice place. I think they are a formidable team to compete with in regard to recruitment.
This is the big issue. You would think they would have a great team, as they probably have one of the biggest junior nurseries in the comp (South Coast)

Problem is, they have a board of dinosaurs, with a board structure that doesnt allow club members power to vote under performing board member off.

So pretty much, you could turn up to work, like Dousty, drink a case of crownies, and recruit Aaron Woods to your club, and give yourself a pat on the back, while you let good quality juniors leave.

They got rid of an excellent recruitment team - including Peter Mulholland (One/two members of his team I knew and had chats with on a regular basis) And gave the job to a relative of a board member. Who was fucking woeful.

The fish rots from the head down, and it does that at the Dragons, but unfortunately, they employ a job for the boy's philosophy, where performance and result bare no consequence. And the rules dictate that their jobs are cushy and safe, and the supporters get stiffed and shafted for membership money.

Dolph

QLD Cup
This is the big issue. You would think they would have a great team, as they probably have one of the biggest junior nurseries in the comp (South Coast)

Problem is, they have a board of dinosaurs, with a board structure that doesnt allow club members power to vote under performing board member off.

So pretty much, you could turn up to work, like Dousty, drink a case of crownies, and recruit Aaron Woods to your club, and give yourself a pat on the back, while you let good quality juniors leave.

They got rid of an excellent recruitment team - including Peter Mulholland (One/two members of his team I knew and had chats with on a regular basis) And gave the job to a relative of a board member. Who was fucking woeful.

The fish rots from the head down, and it does that at the Dragons, but unfortunately, they employ a job for the boy's philosophy, where performance and result bare no consequence. And the rules dictate that their jobs are cushy and safe, and the supporters get stiffed and shafted for membership money.
I read that their junior base was just a bit smaller than Penriths who have the biggest junior base of the NSW teams.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Its a lovely place to live, Id go all the time when i lived in NSW

The issue is, all the young fellas with heaps of cash want to live in sydney, with the big night life. And dont want to be traveling 1 hour 20 mins to and from work everyday.

I know I wouldn't be driving 80-90 mins just for work. Add to that Sydney traffic if you don't live in Sutherland shire.

If you are from the Gong its fine, if youre not, its a lot harder.
Jack De Belin thinks the nightlife in Woolongong is ok.

I guess you're right about young players wanting to live in Sydney but then again, lower prices and on the coast must be nice. And as for nightlife, wouldn't it be similar in Woolongong to some particular area in Sydney? I mean, Sydney has a bit of nightlife all over the place. Wouldn't the nightlife in Woolongong be similar to Gold Coast? It's a smaller city so not as much but similar.

I know in China and Japan they have specific nightlife areas which are huge. Like 30 city blocks each containing 10s or over 100 drinking establishments and there are no residential buildings or almost none. It's awesome but too bad we don't have that.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I read that their junior base was just a bit smaller than Penriths who have the biggest junior base of the NSW teams.
Yeah. Penrith dominating

As the miss managed dragons flounder.

Pretty easy to see. And when ur in the game I’m sure people say, don’t go to saints it’s a shit show.

RTW

Pod Calf
Reports today that Junior Tupou has let the Tigers know that he is accepting a deal with the Dolphins. This activates the 10 day cooling off period before the contract can be finalised.

Decent signing who will push Nui and Bostock for a starting Wing spot.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Reports today that Junior Tupou has let the Tigers know that he is accepting a deal with the Dolphins. This activates the 10 day cooling off period before the contract can be finalised.

Decent signing who will push Nui and Bostock for a starting Wing spot.
Squad is coming together pretty nicely. Jesse Bromwich and Milf are worries but I'm backing Wayne to squeeze one more good year out of both.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
There goes Dearden and Luai. So Wayne or Wolff will have to get a good 5/8 from within or one who hasn't played first grade yet.

Gary

Dolphins Junior League
I rate Niko. As a utility, not a 5/8 unless only filling in for an unavailable 5/8.
Fair call, thought he was outstanding for the phins last year. Do you reckon hunt becomes available over the new year?

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Fair call, thought he was outstanding for the phins last year. Do you reckon hunt becomes available over the new year?
Good question. But I think both he and Katoa are halfbacks. We need a 5/8.

Agree about Niko, filling in all over the place last season. IMO that's what he's suited to.

Gary

Dolphins Junior League
Good question. But I think both he and Katoa are halfbacks. We need a 5/8.

Agree about Niko, filling in all over the place last season. IMO that's what he's suited to.
Unfortunately the market is pretty slim with a decent 5/8