What's new

2024 squad and best 17

Chris

QLD Cup

Dolphins fume over NRL draw​

Dolphins have multiple issues with their draw and have reached out to government officials for assistance.
  • Dolphins chief executive Terry Reader reportedly has concerns surrounding the schedule of Brisbane’s annual festival Riverfire, which brings around 500,000 visitors to the city. It coincides with the Dolphins’ biggest game of the year, a huge cross-town derby against the Broncos.

• The Dolphins are also disgruntled by being the only club to play a game leading in to each of the three Origin fixtures, meaning a number of their star players could be sidelined.

• Dolphins officials are also reportedly upset they have been handed the final game of Magic Round, taking on the Tigers at 6:25pm.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Dolphins fume over NRL draw​

Dolphins have multiple issues with their draw and have reached out to government officials for assistance.
  • Dolphins chief executive Terry Reader reportedly has concerns surrounding the schedule of Brisbane’s annual festival Riverfire, which brings around 500,000 visitors to the city. It coincides with the Dolphins’ biggest game of the year, a huge cross-town derby against the Broncos.

• The Dolphins are also disgruntled by being the only club to play a game leading in to each of the three Origin fixtures, meaning a number of their star players could be sidelined.

• Dolphins officials are also reportedly upset they have been handed the final game of Magic Round, taking on the Tigers at 6:25pm.
Can't catch a break from the NRL🤬

midlands hobo

How does origin work as in can clubs refuse to release players?

In soccer and RU here there is a long standing argument called club v country. It's why some times European teams don't play with big names as the clubs refuse to release for international

Chris

QLD Cup

In soccer and RU here there is a long standing argument called club v country. It's why some times European teams don't play with big names as the clubs refuse to release for international
Don't think so. Players can decline the invitation but they get paid a lot for one game. And often has clauses in their contracts where their salary goes up if they are good enough to get selected for rep teams. Origin in particular.

mr_c

QLD Cup

diffrence is qld n nsw n rep players get a big chunk of cash ( players who rep soccer get no extra )

Equaliser

I don't follow but was told the quality of club soccer in most of Europe is higher than most international games. As you know, not the case for RL in Aus.

mr_c

QLD Cup
I don't follow but was told the quality of club soccer in most of Europe is higher than most international games. As you know, not the case for RL in Aus.
thats more the fact the sponsorship deals they have tend to be only with club

Josh

QLD Cup

Every team’s New Years Resolution​

The Dolphins -Debut finals appearance​

There can be no doubt in the world what the Dolphins goal in 2024 is, to play finals footy! They've signed two of the Broncos best in Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler, and now have a roster with both the talent and depth to make their maiden fnals appearance.

Farnworth is right up there with Stephen Crichton in terms of expected impact at his new club. Right now I have Herbie as the best centre in the game.
Last year there was no expectation for the competition new boys. 2024 is very, very different. With big names comes big expectations and the Phins will be looking to match those and be there come the second week of September.

Equaliser

Dolph

QLD Cup
I pretty much agree with this.
But I think Aitken might get a spot on the bench at the expense of Nicholls. Halves are of course the big question. Perhaps the big weakness. Niu, Bostock and Tupou fighting it out for one wing spot also.
More to the point, this is definitely the last year for Jesse Bromwich and Nicholls. Who is in line to replace them? Based on last year, I'm not sure Kenny Bromwich will last another year either.

mr_c

QLD Cup
would say wallace would be the same i would say we be looking for senior props and probbaly use the jnrs more like walsh

WAQA and jackson Bailey Butler, Tyler Szepanowski be options too​

Reactions: Red

Red

Forum staff
More to the point, this is definitely the last year for Jesse Bromwich and Nicholls. Who is in line to replace them? Based on last year, I'm not sure Kenny Bromwich will last another year either.
Last year, try as I might, was just unable to get into the QLD Cup.

Dolph

QLD Cup
would say wallace would be the same i would say we be looking for senior props and probbaly use the jnrs more like walsh

WAQA and jackson Bailey Butler, Tyler Szepanowski be options too​

Elija Rasmussen another i forgot
I think Wallace might go around one more year. TBH, I thought he was excellent last year. Isaako was a standout but thought Wallace was probably our second best. After Gilbert and JMK were injured.

Anyway, what can you tell us about Rasmussen?

mr_c

QLD Cup
Young ex rugby convert has ability but may still need it

Westlake Boys High School 1st 15 player started 23 in Under 18 Mal Meninga Cup where he played five games, before moving up to U21s to play 14 games. Born in England, Rasmussen could opt to represent England while also having hearty Aotearoa mana having made Aotearoa Maori representative teams since at least 2017, also cracking the 2022 Auckland Blues Under 18 Development squad. As Rasmussen was on the fringe of reserve grade while eligible for U18s,

mr_c

QLD Cup
Tukimihia Simpkins just realised we have him as well from carps now hope see more he has great work rate ( yeah has off field issues but that dont bother me )

Dolph

QLD Cup
Young ex rugby convert has ability but may still need it

Westlake Boys High School 1st 15 player started 23 in Under 18 Mal Meninga Cup where he played five games, before moving up to U21s to play 14 games. Born in England, Rasmussen could opt to represent England while also having hearty Aotearoa mana having made Aotearoa Maori representative teams since at least 2017, also cracking the 2022 Auckland Blues Under 18 Development squad. As Rasmussen was on the fringe of reserve grade while eligible for U18s,
Sounds very promising. Is he on a development contract this year?

Josh

QLD Cup

The player with the most to prove at every club​

DOLPHINS

Thomas Flegler

Arrives as a marquee signing off the back of making his Kangaroos debut. Finished the season strongly at the Broncos but was aided by playing off a forward middle rotation which included Payne Haas and Pat Carrigan. Needs to take pressure off an ageing forward pack and set the tone.

I don't agree with this at all. I think he's well and truly proven himself. I'd go with the halves. Or maybe Isaako to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

mr_c

QLD Cup

The player with the most to prove at every club​

DOLPHINS

Thomas Flegler is

Arrives as a marquee signing off the back of making his Kangaroos debut. Finished the season strongly at the Broncos but was aided by playing off a forward middle rotation which included Payne Haas and Pat Carrigan. Needs to take pressure off an ageing forward pack and set the tone.

I don't agree with this at all. I think he's well and truly proven himself. I'd go with the halves. Or maybe Isaako to prove last year wasn't a fluke.
i think the one that needs prove hmself the most is kafusi spent most time injured or suspened jmk needs prove himself injury free too