What's new

2024 Pre-season

Dolph

QLD Cup
The boys looked pretty sluggish for the most part but most teams do during the preseason. The forward pack still contains too many ageing veterans and our #1 HB is still not up to the standard.

It's no coincidence that the attack looked a lot slicker when SOS was off the field. Jerome Burns did a good job out there despite being a Q Cup journeyman himself.

Lots of positives though. Herbie, Flegs, Plath, Val, Trai, Tesi, Gilbert and JWal were all terrific. I still say that if this team can remain injury free (or close to it) that they'll surge into a playoff spot. This team has a lot more depth than most people think and they'll need it with the many question marks that remain.
Half or 5/8 depending on where Katoa plays is definitely the problem this year.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
The boys looked pretty sluggish for the most part but most teams do during the preseason. The forward pack still contains too many ageing veterans and our #1 HB is still not up to the standard.

It's no coincidence that the attack looked a lot slicker when SOS was off the field. Jerome Burns did a good job out there despite being a Q Cup journeyman himself.

Lots of positives though. Herbie, Flegs, Plath, Val, Trai, Tesi, Gilbert and JWal were all terrific. I still say that if this team can remain injury free (or close to it) that they'll surge into a playoff spot. This team has a lot more depth than most people think and they'll need it with the many question marks that remain.
That rang alarm bells for me. Katoa, burns and the other half looked miles better than SoS.

I don’t think he is a lock at all for the season.

Josh

QLD Cup

In fairness to SOS, he was also a NSW Cup journeyman until we had a halves crisis last year.

Eased a bit now because it seems Katoa is a bit older and better this season.

But good luck to SOS having a good game in the next trial. He'll for sure get a chance.

Gary

Dolphins Junior League
That rang alarm bells for me. Katoa, burns and the other half looked miles better than SoS.

I don’t think he is a lock at all for the season.
In fairness to SOS, he was also a NSW Cup journeyman until we had a halves crisis last year.

Eased a bit now because it seems Katoa is a bit older and better this season.

But good luck to SOS having a good game in the next trial. He'll for sure get a chance.
Think Kodi might get a shot at the half’s with katoa

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
You could be right, maybe with Kodi playing his preferred, and Katoa filling in the other half.

From what I saw in the trial. Katoa looked good, and SoS not really up to it for the experienced half. When the two other halves came on, we looked to have a lot more direction from the 7.

Thats a blight on SoS's ability to marshal the team.

I know mr c is going to be upset, but SoS, after a trial against a weak Titans, did nothing to fill me with confidence.

Dolph

QLD Cup
I like Kodi on the bench, filling in if there's an injury otherwise giving JMK a rest but I think you might be right. What's going on with Milf?

Josh

QLD Cup
Injured I think
I like Kodi on the bench, filling in if there's an injury otherwise giving JMK a rest but I think you might be right. What's going on with Milf?
Hope Wayne can squeeze one good season out of him. Team really needs it. Not as good as he was before he got the massive Broncos contract but just like last year except 5kg lighter and much more commited in defence.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Is Jack Bostock’s round one wing spot under threat?

Keep a close eye on Jack Bostock in Saturday’s clash against the Warriors with the winger’s rush in defence last weekend raising questions about his round one selection for the season proper. Bostock combined well with Jake Averillo when he came onto the field at left centre after starting on the bench. It was expected that Bostock and Tesi Niu would battle it out for left wing but it also appears Niu is also in the running at left centre after starting ahead of Averillo. It’s an interesting move given Averillo has made no secret of wanting to shed the utility tag and forge a career at centre. It has set up a three-way battle for the left edge that no one would have expected coming into round one.

Mt Smart

Pod Calf
Hi all,

Looking forward to the game, your mob and ours seemed to fire up last year when we faced off. Could be a rivalry building here.

Have a great season.

Josh

QLD Cup
Hi all,

Looking forward to the game, your mob and ours seemed to fire up last year when we faced off. Could be a rivalry building here.

Have a great season.
Cheers! Good luck to the Warriors this year, except when they play us.

Red

Forum staff
Hi all,

Have a great season.
Honestly, except when playing the Dolphins, Warriors are a team I'd like to see do well. As far away from our juniors as any club and I think SJ deserves to go out a winner.

Mt Smart

Pod Calf
Charnze is out with a hamstring strain.

Otherwise Warriors starting seventeen almost full strength with Walker and Te Maire Martin in the extended reserves.

Phins line up looks good too.

Mt Smart is almost sold out already, just a handful of seats left in the South Stand.

Fine weather predicted for the game, will be a fast track.

Equaliser

Dolphins team:​

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Tesi Niu
  4. Herbie Farnworth
  5. Jack Bostock
  6. Isaiya Katoa
  7. Sean O’Sullivan
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Thomas Flegler
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Euan Aitken
  13. Tom Gilbert

14. Mark Nicholls
  15. Valynce Te Whare
  16. Jake Averillo
  17. Kurt Donoghoe

18. Josh Kerr
  19. Ray Stone
  20. Kenny Bromwich
  21. Connelly Lemuelu
  22. Kodi Nikorima
  23. Oryn Keeley
  24. Jarrod Wallace

• Something no one considered. Tessi at centre, Bostock on the wing and neither Averillo or Val in the team.
  • Despite another lackluster game, SOS still has inside running for halfback.
  • Is Wayne thinking Aitken running on and Lemuelu on the bench???

mr_c

QLD Cup

Dolphins team:​

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Tesi Niu
  4. Herbie Farnworth
  5. Jack Bostock
  6. Isaiya Katoa
  7. Sean O’Sullivan
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Thomas Flegler
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Euan Aitken
  13. Tom Gilbert

14. Mark Nicholls
  15. Valynce Te Whare
  16. Jake Averillo
  17. Kurt Donoghoe

18. Josh Kerr
  19. Ray Stone
  20. Kenny Bromwich
  21. Connelly Lemuelu
  22. Kodi Nikorima
  23. Oryn Keeley
  24. Jarrod Wallace

• Something no one considered. Tessi at centre, Bostock on the wing and neither Averillo or Val in the team.
  • Despite another lackluster game, SOS still has inside running for halfback.
  • Is Wayne thinking Aitken running on and Lemuelu on the bench???
Think is really the only true 7/in side that's injury free rest prefer 6

midlands hobo

Bostocks Clutch play defence is really poor. how many times did he take the inside man and leave his opposite unmarked. You have to trust the guy inside you will pick up his mark. it's his problem not yours.

Josh

QLD Cup
Bostocks Clutch play defence is really poor. how many times did he take the inside man and leave his opposite unmarked. You have to trust the guy inside you will pick up his mark. it's his problem not yours.
Still has a few things to work on but definitely closer to being a good NRL winger this year than last.