What's new

2024 Pre-season

Dolph

QLD Cup
Titans have some serious depth in the front row and they're all young.

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Bostock looks better, bigger more confrontational, but I have serious concerns over his decision making and positioning in defence

Jetty

QLD Cup
But overall, not a great half against an understrength Titans.

I guess Wayne will get Katoa off for the second half. He's done enough already to cement his spot for round 1.

midlands hobo

This first shift same has the first half looks good. The 20m mark is where it falls apart

midlands hobo

Let's hope the second 20 we hold on now. Good finish but too many missed chances and unfinished sets

midlands hobo

Ok bostock did well on that one. He chased down well on the 5th tackle kick to force the second set as well. Ball in hand he does look better.

midlands hobo

Val. still 10kg (min) overweight. Fun to watch short distance ball in hand. Reminds me of the fridge (for those 80s nfl fans)

However how useful is he as a distance strike runner and defender? Also too slow getting up to PTB

Jetty

QLD Cup
Yeah, does anyone actually think he could do a 80m break? 50m at a push but would need oxygen after
Yep
A few comments from that:
  • Can only beat who they put in front of us.
  • Bostock will be surely be on the wing for round 1. Needs to do a bit more work but seems to have improved a lot since he was the first ever Dolphin to score a try in the first trial last year.
  • Val played well but needs to lose 5-10 kgs more before he plays NRL on a regular basis.
  • I like the look of Aitken on the bench. Not the most skillful but a strong ball runner.
  • Katoa will be in the halves but his partner is still up n the air, IMO. Though it seems SOS has the inside running.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Yep
A few comments from that:
  • Can only beat who they put in front of us.
  • Bostock will be surely be on the wing for round 1. Needs to do a bit more work but seems to have improved a lot since he was the first ever Dolphin to score a try in the first trial last year.
  • Val played well but needs to lose 5-10 kgs more before he plays NRL on a regular basis.
  • I like the look of Aitken on the bench. Not the most skillful but a strong ball runner.
  • Katoa will be in the halves but his partner is still up n the air, IMO. Though it seems SOS has the inside running.
Yes to all of the above.

SOS will be gone as soon as we get someone to replace him.

Blockade

QLD Cup
The boys looked pretty sluggish for the most part but most teams do during the preseason. The forward pack still contains too many ageing veterans and our #1 HB is still not up to the standard.

It's no coincidence that the attack looked a lot slicker when SOS was off the field. Jerome Burns did a good job out there despite being a Q Cup journeyman himself.

Lots of positives though. Herbie, Flegs, Plath, Val, Trai, Tesi, Gilbert and JWal were all terrific. I still say that if this team can remain injury free (or close to it) that they'll surge into a playoff spot. This team has a lot more depth than most people think and they'll need it with the many question marks that remain.