What's new

Wayne Bennett news

Chris

QLD Cup
Was a bit of debate around how long Wayne is contracted for and whether he would extend or not.

He's contracted for only next year and won't extend. Kristian Woolf is going to take over in 2025.

Jetty

QLD Cup

WAYNE BENNETT - Dolphins

Analysis: Bennett did an excellent job with the Dolphins’ squad in 2023. The NRL newcomers surpassed expectations and secured a stunning victory in their debut game against a strong Roosters outfit.

Mid-way through the season finals was even a possibility for the Redcliffe-based team who struggled to secure a marquee recruit. Bennett has won 564 of his 912 games as a head coach at a winning percentage of 61.84 including 10 grand finals and seven premierships.

2024 will be Bennett’s final year in charge before he hands the reins to Kristian Woolf, but first the master coach will be looking to lead the Dolphins to their first finals series and don’t rule him out coaching on in 2025 and beyond.

Contracted: 2024

Verdict: (1) Safe as houses

mr_c

QLD Cup
will nrl let him if they want him to coach the new side ?

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
will nrl let him if they want him to coach the new side ?
Why wouldn't they? I think the new club would be the one to block the move but as yet, there is no new club to do that.

Jetty

QLD Cup

Some say the club should have offered Wayne a longer deal. 3~5 years but actually, I'm pretty confident about Wolff. If Wayne wants to coach a club team next year, he might find himself without anything.

He's done a good job with us. Last season we finished about where most expected but until the injury crisis, he had us cruising. But I'm still enthusiastic about Wolff.

Red

Forum staff

Some say the club should have offered Wayne a longer deal. 3~5 years but actually, I'm pretty confident about Wolff. If Wayne wants to coach a club team next year, he might find himself without anything.

He's done a good job with us. Last season we finished about where most expected but until the injury crisis, he had us cruising. But I'm still enthusiastic about Wolff.
Wolff is going to be a gun head coach.

mr_c

QLD Cup

midlands hobo

I think that team is still 3~4 years away. Wayne will want something next year.
Midlands hurricanes will take him. player budget of about £900 a game i'm sure we can pay him with a few samosas and warm beer. Hell i'll even chip in for a "luxury" touring caravan by the canal to live in.

• Wow
Reactions: Red

Equaliser

Midlands hurricanes will take him. player budget of about £900 a game i'm sure we can pay him with a few samosas and warm beer. Hell i'll even chip in for a "luxury" touring caravan by the canal to live in.
So much for that. Benny is a lifelong teetotaler.

Josh

QLD Cup

Dolphins offer Bennett job in bid to keep the Bunnies at bay​

The Dolphins have outlined their masterplan to keep Wayne Bennett for life in a role that could see him usurp Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould as the most powerful club official in rugby league.

As speculation intensifies Bennett could return to Sydney to rescue the Rabbitohs, the Dolphins mentor is a free agent and has made it clear he will weigh up all options for 2025, insisting he is not ready for retirement. The Dolphins were buffeted by reports last month that Sydney-based rival Parramatta were plotting a poaching raid to snare Bennett as a possible coaching director to assist head coach Brad Arthur.

But the Dolphins have hit back in the battle for Bennett, with the $100 million Redcliffe powerhouse saying the NRL’s greatest coach has a job for life at the club – if he wants it. Bennett’s multifaceted role would see him have his fingerprints all over the Dolphins’ operations. He would have more power than Canterbury football boss Phil Gould, who is presiding over a sweeping rebuild of the embattled Bulldogs.

Mixed feelings about this. Of course I want Wayne to hang around but at the same time, I have confidence in Wolff. I don't think he wants or needs Wayne looking over his shoulder.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team

The Dolphins have outlined their masterplan to keep Wayne Bennett for life in a role that could see him usurp Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould as the most powerful club official in rugby league.

As speculation intensifies Bennett could return to Sydney to rescue the Rabbitohs, the Dolphins mentor is a free agent and has made it clear he will weigh up all options for 2025, insisting he is not ready for retirement. The Dolphins were buffeted by reports last month that Sydney-based rival Parramatta were plotting a poaching raid to snare Bennett as a possible coaching director to assist head coach Brad Arthur.

But the Dolphins have hit back in the battle for Bennett, with the $100 million Redcliffe powerhouse saying the NRL’s greatest coach has a job for life at the club – if he wants it. Bennett’s multifaceted role would see him have his fingerprints all over the Dolphins’ operations. He would have more power than Canterbury football boss Phil Gould, who is presiding over a sweeping rebuild of the embattled Bulldogs.

Mixed feelings about this. Of course I want Wayne to hang around but at the same time, I have confidence in Wolff. I don't think he wants or needs Wayne looking over his shoulder.
I agree with you.

I would like him to stay though. As long as that working relationship with Wolff is good. Bennett is the master man manager though, I think he would know how to manager that, having been a coach for so long.

Red

Forum staff

Don't think it's likely Wayne will accept the job. He's had similar positions on the table at Broncos and Souths.