What's new

The Donkeys are Braying: Rivalry with the Broncos

Axel

Dolphins Junior League

BRISBANE BRONCOS AT WAR WITH DOLPHINS

Gloves are well and truly off in the latest rivalry in rugby league between the Brisbane Broncos and the NRL’s newest team the Dolphins. The Dolphins landed two considerable blows this week when they signed Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth in a 48-hour window and that’s only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the bad blood between these two clubs.

The Broncos, who have had a carte blanche run over the city of Brisbane since 1988 – have twice reported the Dolphins to the NRL’s Integrity Unit over the course of the summer about attempts to poach players. The first case was young gun halfback Karl Oloapu, the teenager who the Bulldogs ultimately paid a $500,000 transfer fee to Brisbane to sign for the next four seasons.

The next case was rookie centre Deine Mariner who good judges are convinced is going to kick on to become a star NRL centre. It all adds plenty of spice to the NRL’s newest rivalry in the build-up to one of the grudge matches of the season when the Dolphins host the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in round four.

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett will never forgive or forget the way Broncos powerbrokers dealt with his departure back in 2018. The Dolphins poaching Flegler and Farnworth means Brisbane will shift their attention to the retention of Origin forwards Payne Haas and Patrick Carrigan along with rookie centre Mariner.

Red

Forum staff

BRISBANE BRONCOS AT WAR WITH DOLPHINS

Gloves are well and truly off in the latest rivalry in rugby league between the Brisbane Broncos and the NRL’s newest team the Dolphins. The Dolphins landed two considerable blows this week when they signed Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth in a 48-hour window and that’s only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the bad blood between these two clubs.

The Broncos, who have had a carte blanche run over the city of Brisbane since 1988 – have twice reported the Dolphins to the NRL’s Integrity Unit over the course of the summer about attempts to poach players. The first case was young gun halfback Karl Oloapu, the teenager who the Bulldogs ultimately paid a $500,000 transfer fee to Brisbane to sign for the next four seasons.

The next case was rookie centre Deine Mariner who good judges are convinced is going to kick on to become a star NRL centre. It all adds plenty of spice to the NRL’s newest rivalry in the build-up to one of the grudge matches of the season when the Dolphins host the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in round four.

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett will never forgive or forget the way Broncos powerbrokers dealt with his departure back in 2018. The Dolphins poaching Flegler and Farnworth means Brisbane will shift their attention to the retention of Origin forwards Payne Haas and Patrick Carrigan along with rookie centre Mariner.
Excellent thread name. 'Donkey's are braying'. To be realistic, they'll probably beat us this year but they have over 30 years headstart. Their coach = -10 and ours plus +10. So they have a little over a decade on us this year.

Next year, them with their coach, -5. Us +5. So a slight headstart. In 2025, game on!

Axel

Dolphins Junior League
Excellent thread name. 'Donkey's are braying'. To be realistic, they'll probably beat us this year but they have over 30 years headstart. Their coach = -10 and ours plus +10. So they have a little over a decade on us this year.

Next year, them with their coach, -5. Us +5. So a slight headstart. In 2025, game on!
I don't know. I think this year we might be closer to them than next year. Will get Flegler and Farnsworth but Kafusi, the Bromwich's, Nicholls and Stone will all be a yer older. Then from 2025, it'll be close. We will have our own young guns coming into first grade.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

BRISBANE BRONCOS WAR WITH DOLPHINS

All the talk about Benny but the Donkey's certainly played a part in the feud. Blocking players joining us almost as soon as the license was granted.

Equaliser

This little fat fuck needs to keep his mouth shut about anything to do with the Dolphins. Of course we are bitter rivals and don't need some little pimply faced fuck telling us otherwise!

Brisbane Broncos vs. Dolphins: 'We're not rivals' - Kevin Walters delivers backhander to new franchise​

Brisbane Broncos coach Kevin Walters insists the Dolphins are not their rivals as the build up to next week's blockbuster Brisbane derby begins. The Broncos continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 40-18 thrashing of the Dragons on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium. This means that both Brisbane clubs will go into next week's match at Suncorp as equal top of the ladder, with the game to kickoff on Friday night at 8pm (AEDT).

Following the thumping win against St George, Walters wasn't too keen on speaking about the upcoming Dolphins match, instead stating the team would worry about that contest on Monday.

"I haven’t even thought about next week. We’ll fix up our defence, work hard and get ready for the team we’re playing next week," Walters said. "We’re going to enjoy tonight’s win and (won’t) put that to bed until tomorrow or Monday and then we’ll get ready for our game next week. "I guess that’s why the Dolphins were put in Brisbane, to create that rivalry, but we’re not rivals of the Dolphins - we’re the Broncos. That’s our club, that’s who we are and that’s our mindset, we are the Broncos."

Dolphins boss Wayne Bennett was a little more open talk about the Brisbane derby after his team won their third consecutive match against Newcastle on Friday night. The master coach feels there is no stress on his team as his players will be chomping at the bit to play in one of the NRL's biggest matches.

"There’s no pressure this week. It’s (the derby) the easiest game in the world to coach," Bennett said. "Everybody wants to play in it. If you’re a football player you want to be there at the best stadium in Australia. I don’t think anyone will need motivating to be there."

The Dolphins have surprised critics in the early stages of the season, defeating the Roosters (28-18), Raiders (20-14) and Knights (36-20) in their opening three matches. Skipper Jesse Bromwich was delighted with the team's start to the campaign.

"Being able to win games, especially early on in the season, is really important. I’m really happy with the way the boys are able to respond to things that are going wrong on the field," Bromwich said. "We’re a new team, we’ve only been together since January, and obviously it’s going to take time to build chemistry. But what we have got on our side is we’re a team full of workers. That’s working for us at the moment."

Jetty

QLD Cup
This little fat fuck needs to keep his mouth shut about anything to do with the Dolphins. Of course we are bitter rivals and don't need some little pimply faced fuck telling us otherwise!

Brisbane Broncos vs. Dolphins: 'We're not rivals' - Kevin Walters delivers backhander to new franchise​

Brisbane Broncos coach Kevin Walters insists the Dolphins are not their rivals as the build up to next week's blockbuster Brisbane derby begins. The Broncos continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 40-18 thrashing of the Dragons on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium. This means that both Brisbane clubs will go into next week's match at Suncorp as equal top of the ladder, with the game to kickoff on Friday night at 8pm (AEDT).

Following the thumping win against St George, Walters wasn't too keen on speaking about the upcoming Dolphins match, instead stating the team would worry about that contest on Monday.

"I haven’t even thought about next week. We’ll fix up our defence, work hard and get ready for the team we’re playing next week," Walters said. "We’re going to enjoy tonight’s win and (won’t) put that to bed until tomorrow or Monday and then we’ll get ready for our game next week. "I guess that’s why the Dolphins were put in Brisbane, to create that rivalry, but we’re not rivals of the Dolphins - we’re the Broncos. That’s our club, that’s who we are and that’s our mindset, we are the Broncos."

Dolphins boss Wayne Bennett was a little more open talk about the Brisbane derby after his team won their third consecutive match against Newcastle on Friday night. The master coach feels there is no stress on his team as his players will be chomping at the bit to play in one of the NRL's biggest matches.

"There’s no pressure this week. It’s (the derby) the easiest game in the world to coach," Bennett said. "Everybody wants to play in it. If you’re a football player you want to be there at the best stadium in Australia. I don’t think anyone will need motivating to be there."

The Dolphins have surprised critics in the early stages of the season, defeating the Roosters (28-18), Raiders (20-14) and Knights (36-20) in their opening three matches. Skipper Jesse Bromwich was delighted with the team's start to the campaign.

"Being able to win games, especially early on in the season, is really important. I’m really happy with the way the boys are able to respond to things that are going wrong on the field," Bromwich said. "We’re a new team, we’ve only been together since January, and obviously it’s going to take time to build chemistry. But what we have got on our side is we’re a team full of workers. That’s working for us at the moment."
What do you really think? With you it's personal. I like that!

Reactions: Red

Red

Forum staff
Hi everyone. Long time Dolphins fan here:cool:. For 3 rounds and the trails already! Time flies. Donkey's are gonna get smashed!
Glad to see you! I'm just wondering, if we win this Friday, we will be alone on top of the table but will we also become premiership favourites?

Josh

QLD Cup
Glad to see you! I'm just wondering, if we win this Friday, we will be alone on top of the table but will we also become premiership favourites?
Thanks! Probably not yet but how laughable do the pre-season predictions that Dolphins would get the spoon look? Only 1 Brisbane team is permitted to win the spoon and that's not the Dolphins!

• Haha
Reactions: Red

Red

Forum staff
Thanks! Probably not yet but how laughable do the pre-season predictions that Dolphins would get the spoon look? Only 1 Brisbane team is permitted to win the spoon and that's not the Dolphins!
They'll never live ("winning" the spoon) that down.
Probably right about this year but next year with 2 of the Broncos 3 or 4 best players........

Equaliser

Without JMK and maybe Kafusi, a win this Friday is unlikely, IMO. But every game is winnable. On the flip side, there are only 1 or 2 easy games (Tigers).

Chris

QLD Cup
Without JMK and maybe Kafusi, a win this Friday is unlikely, IMO. But every game is winnable. On the flip side, there are only 1 or 2 easy games (Tigers).
I bet Kafusi is cleared to play. The judiciary is blind to the size of the game my a**. They also want both teams as strong as possible. Just with JMK, they weren't thinking ahead enough.

Equaliser

I bet Kafusi is cleared to play. The judiciary is blind to the size of the game my a**. They also want both teams as strong as possible. Just with JMK, they weren't thinking ahead enough.
Hope so!

Josh

QLD Cup
Don't underestimate the coach here. Bennett has a habit of pulling a win from nothing when it's really needed.
If he engineers a win in this game, it'll be far from the biggest boil-over he has engineered. The game plan will be simple, forwards doing as they have been for the past 3 weeks, plenty of hard running from our 2 big centres who can't match Broncos centres for speed, hopefully tiring them out and causing Staggs in particular to miss a few tackles. Kicks deep into corners. Play the game at their end.

Red

Forum staff
If he engineers a win in this game, it'll be far from the biggest boil-over he has engineered. The game plan will be simple, forwards doing as they have been for the past 3 weeks, plenty of hard running from our 2 big centres who can't match Broncos centres for speed, hopefully tiring them out and causing Staggs in particular to miss a few tackles. Kicks deep into corners. Play the game at their end.
It's simple and very effective if the forwards can at least hold their own. Farnworth is an absolute gun centre. Can't give him any room to move. Make it so he can only get a few metres to run if it's from dummy half at their end of the field.

Santa

Pod Calf
The Brisbane Broncos don't care about the Dolphins. Just like they don't care about the Gold Coast Titans. For the The Dolphins this is their grand final, for the Brisbane Broncos this is just round 4.

Predicted score:
Brisbane 56 - The 2

McHunt

Dolphins Junior League
The Brisbane Broncos don't care about the Dolphins. Just like they don't care about the Gold Coast Titans. For the The Dolphins this is their grand final, for the Brisbane Broncos this is just round 4.

Predicted score:
Brisbane 56 - The 2
I wouldn't be so quick to write off a backline with the pedigree of Tesi Niu, Jamayne Isaako, Brenko Lee and - if the rumours are true - Anthony Milford.

Red

Forum staff

Predicted score:
Brisbane 56 - The 2
Say what??

Red

Forum staff
I wouldn't be so quick to write off a backline with the pedigree of Tesi Niu, Jamayne Isaako, Brenko Lee and - if the rumours are true - Anthony Milford.
I rate Katoa..... as a halfback. Seems too slow (in terms of pace) for 5/8.