What's new

State of Origin 2023

Josh

QLD Cup
Wasn't sure where to put this. Need a new category. Like, "Representative Games".

Anyway, it's almost time to start talking about Origin. Currently 3 QLD teams, NZ and Melbourne are in the top 8. I haven't thought too much about the NSW team but are they go9ng to be really poor this year? Though obviously the Broncos best player will be playing for NSW.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Wasn't sure where to put this. Need a new category. Like, "Representative Games".

Anyway, it's almost time to start talking about Origin. Currently 3 QLD teams, NZ and Melbourne are in the top 8. I haven't thought too much about the NSW team but are they go9ng to be really poor this year? Though obviously the Broncos best player will be playing for NSW.
Fifta has to be one of the backrowers. Capewell on the bench or not in the team. Also, might be an idea to play Walsh or Brimsom at fullback and Ponga in the centres.

Josh

QLD Cup
Fifta has to be one of the backrowers. Capewell on the bench or not in the team. Also, might be an idea to play Walsh or Brimsom at fullback and Ponga in the centres.
Why not nominate teams now? Too early? From the games I've seen this year, Nanai's bubble has burst! He has been average at best.
  1. Ponga
  2. Cobbo
  3. Gagai
  4. Holmes
  5. Tualangi
  6. Munster
  7. ....I hate to say it..... DCE

8. Fa'asuamaleau
  9. Grant
  10. Welch
  11. Fifta
  12. Capewell
  13. Carrigan

14. Gilbert
  15. Kafusi
  16. Hunt
  17. (no idea)
Looks like a really good team. Will probably start favourites.

Josh

QLD Cup
NSW:
  1. Tedesco
  2. JAC
  3. Mitchell
  4. Trbojevic
  5. To'o
  6. Luai
  7. Cleary

8. Haas
  9. ......who? JMK?
  10. No idea
  11. Olakau'atu
  12. Koloamatangi
  13. Murray

14. J. Trbojevic
  15. Who is a good utility player NSW have?)
  16. no idea
  17. no idea

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
Why not nominate teams now? Too early? From the games I've seen this year, Nanai's bubble has burst! He has been average at best.
  1. Ponga
  2. Cobbo
  3. Gagai
  4. Holmes
  5. Tualangi
  6. Munster
  7. ....I hate to say it..... DCE

8. Fa'asuamaleau
  9. Grant
  10. Welch
  11. Fifta
  12. Capewell
  13. Carrigan

14. Gilbert
  15. Kafusi
  16. Hunt
  17. (no idea)
Looks like a really good team. Will probably start favourites.
#17 will probably be Josh Papali or Lidsey Collins. I don't like them picking a Roosters player, let alone one with a girls name, so I hope Pappali gets it.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
NSW:
  1. Tedesco
  2. JAC
  3. Mitchell
  4. Trbojevic
  5. To'o
  6. Luai
  7. Cleary

8. Haas
  9. ......who? JMK?
  10. No idea
  11. Olakau'atu
  12. Koloamatangi
  13. Murray

14. J. Trbojevic
  15. Who is a good utility player NSW have?)
  16. no idea
  17. no idea
JMK is from New Zealand so probably Korisau or Cook at hooker. Campbell-Gillard should be the other starting prop. If they pick Cook at Hooker than Korisau should be the bench utility, otherwise probably Wighton. Klemmer on form would be a good choice for the other reserve but they don't seem to like him, so probably Junior Paulo again. I think they will shift Murray from lock to 2nd row, pushing out Koloamatangi and put Yeo at lock. Jake Trbojevic is probably behind Martin too.

Josh

QLD Cup
JMK is from New Zealand so probably Korisau or Cook at hooker. Campbell-Gillard should be the other starting prop. If they pick Cook at Hooker than Korisau should be the bench utility, otherwise probably Wighton. Klemmer on form would be a good choice for the other reserve but they don't seem to like him, so probably Junior Paulo again. I think they will shift Murray from lock to 2nd row, pushing out Koloamatangi and put Yeo at lock. Jake Trbojevic is probably behind Martin too.
Forgot about Yeo and Paulo. I don't rate Martin and not a big fan of RCG either but that's just me.

Red

Forum staff
Phillip Rothfield's NSW Team

1. James Tedesco
  2. Campbell Graham
  3. Tom Trbojevic
  4. Latrell Mitchell
  5. Brian To’o
  6. Nicho Hynes
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. Payne Haas
  9. Damien Cook
  10. Jake Trbojevic
  11. Liam Martin
  12. Cameron Murray
  13. Isaah Yeo

Bench
  14. Stephen Crichton
  15. Haumole Olakau’atu
  16. Junior Paulo
  17. Reagan Campbell Gillard

18th man
  18. Matt Burton

If JAC is available, he won't be overlooked again. I'd also swap #11 and #15

Josh

QLD Cup

1. James Tedesco
  2. Campbell Graham
  3. Tom Trbojevic
  4. Latrell Mitchell
  5. Brian To’o
  6. Nicho Hynes
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. Payne Haas
  9. Damien Cook
  10. Jake Trbojevic
  11. Liam Martin
  12. Cameron Murray
  13. Isaah Yeo

Bench
  14. Stephen Crichton
  15. Haumole Olakau’atu
  16. Junior Paulo

18th man
  18. Matt Burton

I think we might beat that team.

Equaliser

1. James Tedesco
  2. Campbell Graham
  3. Tom Trbojevic
  4. Latrell Mitchell
  5. Brian To’o
  6. Nicho Hynes
  7. Nathan Cleary
  8. Payne Haas
  9. Damien Cook
  10. Jake Trbojevic
  11. Liam Martin
  12. Cameron Murray
  13. Isaah Yeo

Bench
  14. Stephen Crichton
  15. Haumole Olakau’atu
  16. Junior Paulo

18th man
  18. Matt Burton

Trbojevic and Mitchell against Holmes and Gagai worries me.

Josh

QLD Cup
Some highlights of Geoff Toovey's NSW Origin team.
  • J. Trbojevic in the backrow:ROFLMAO:
  • S. Crighton in the centres in front of Mitchell
The rest is close to what I would pick. Luai at #6 and Hynes on the bench is the biggest call. A tough one that. Hynes can be good on the bench while Luai can't.

I liked his personality when he was a coach but those two points are surely a joke.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
The rest is close to what I would pick. Luai at #6 and Hynes on the bench is the biggest call. A tough one that. Hynes can be good on the bench while Luai can't.

I liked his personality when he was a coach but those two points are surely a joke.
Just watching that now, ridiculous team.

Even more ridiculous is Gordon Tallis doesn't have Gilbert in his Qld team but has Kotter and Fifita.

Josh

QLD Cup
Just watching that now, ridiculous team.

Even more ridiculous is Gordon Tallis doesn't have Gilbert in his Qld team but has Kotter and Fifita.
As far as Kotter and Gilbert, I'm glad we have Gilbert and he'd definitely be in my QLD team but I'd also have Fifita at least on the bench. I'd probably go with Kafusi and Fifita starting in the backrow.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League

The game tonight showed a centre pairing of Mitchell and Crighton would be very strong.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
As far as Kotter and Gilbert, I'm glad we have Gilbert and he'd definitely be in my QLD team but I'd also have Fifita at least on the bench. I'd probably go with Kafusi and Fifita starting in the backrow.
Agree Fifita is a weapon on the bench. Gilbert would almost be my first picked forward at the moment though, even above Carrigan and Kafusi. He is a perfect lock for Origin, I hope they put him there.

Reactions: Red

Red

Forum staff
Agree Fifita is a weapon on the bench. Gilbert would almost be my first picked forward at the moment though, even above Carrigan and Kafusi. He is a perfect lock for Origin, I hope they put him there.
I expected Gilbert to be good in the pre-season, but he's really exceeded my expectations. Been one of the form players of the competition, not only one of our best. But I think at this stage, politics will mean Carrigan is selected at lock, Gilbert on the bench. Be interesting to see how Carrigan goes when he can't hide in Payne Haas' pocket.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I expected Gilbert to be good in the pre-season, but he's really exceeded my expectations. Been one of the form players of the competition, not only one of our best. But I think at this stage, politics will mean Carrigan is selected at lock, Gilbert on the bench. Be interesting to see how Carrigan goes when he can't hide in Payne Haas' pocket.
Carrigan performed really good at prop last origin series too - he won the best player. Qld have a few locks, I genuinely think Gilbert is the best of them and the others can play ok at prop.

midlands hobo

Looking forward to this. I got the day off work. BBQ breakfast cider and hopefully a good game

Josh

QLD Cup
According to the Courier Mail, the Hammer is going to be in the centres and Tommy Gilbert is going to be in the second row with Fifita. Ponga is going to miss out in favour of Walsh.

Not sure how I feel about this. Tommy in the backrow is a very good selection. Allow Tommy to do a lot of work so Fifita can use his running game more selectively and hopefully to better effect. But the Hammer in the centres is, IMO a bit of a risk. He'll be up against Tom Trbojevic or Latrell Mitchell! Is his defence good enough after not playing in the front line for 1.5 seasons?

I'd have Ponga at fullback first of all but if Walsh is going to be picked, Ponga in the centres for me.