What's new

Recruitment and retention

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Newcastle have salary cap trouble. Looking to move on Daniel Saifiti due to him being on almost 900k next year. Good player for sure but for 900k? Serious overs. If we could get him for around 600k with Newcastle paying the rest, that'd be a coup for the Dolphins. With Ese'ese leaving, the Bromwiches being past their best this year, let alone next year, we are going to be needing a few props with the next 2 years.

Reactions: Red

Chris

QLD Cup
Newcastle have salary cap trouble. Looking to move on Daniel Saifiti due to him being on almost 900k next year. Good player for sure but for 900k? Serious overs. If we could get him for around 600k with Newcastle paying the rest, that'd be a coup for the Dolphins. With Ese'ese leaving, the Bromwiches being past their best this year, let alone next year, we are going to be needing a few props with the next 2 years.
Maybe this is why Wayne isn't in a hurry to replace Herman.

EVERY CLUB'S BEST NRL PROSPECTS​

AMES WALSH

Position: Back row/centre
A Dragons junior, the Dolphins poached Walsh to Redcliffe a month ago. A tough-as-nails backrower who can pinch hit at centre, Walsh has already progressed from Colts to the Hostplus Cup and is tipped to be a long-time NRL player.

RYAN JACKSON

Position: Front row
Another emerging prop, Jackson started in the front for Queensland in the under-19s Origin. Jackson made his Hostplus Cup debut early in the season and has played 13 games in Queensland’s top competition. He is on track to make his NRL debut for the Dolphins next year.

Equaliser

Maybe this is why Wayne isn't in a hurry to replace Herman.

EVERY CLUB'S BEST NRL PROSPECTS​

AMES WALSH

Position: Back row/centre
A Dragons junior, the Dolphins poached Walsh to Redcliffe a month ago. A tough-as-nails backrower who can pinch hit at centre, Walsh has already progressed from Colts to the Hostplus Cup and is tipped to be a long-time NRL player.

RYAN JACKSON

Position: Front row
Another emerging prop, Jackson started in the front for Queensland in the under-19s Origin. Jackson made his Hostplus Cup debut early in the season and has played 13 games in Queensland’s top competition. He is on track to make his NRL debut for the Dolphins next year.
Backrow and centre are probably 2 positions we don't have to worry about. Though depth and competition for spots can't be bad. Ryan Jackson will hopefully be ready for the NRL from round 1 next year. Then we only need a 5/8.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Backrow and centre are probably 2 positions we don't have to worry about. Though depth and competition for spots can't be bad. Ryan Jackson will hopefully be ready for the NRL from round 1 next year. Then we only need a 5/8.
I don't follow Rugby Yawnion. Haven't watched any WC games. I might watch the final if it's on at a civilised time and I have nothing better to do.

But I'm just wondering if anyone who follows it can suggest we go after 1 or 2 players in the Wallabies team? There must be at least 1 or 2 who are NRL standard.

Equaliser

I don't follow Rugby Yawnion. Haven't watched any WC games. I might watch the final if it's on at a civilised time and I have nothing better to do.

But I'm just wondering if anyone who follows it can suggest we go after 1 or 2 players in the Wallabies team? There must be at least 1 or 2 who are NRL standard.
How pissed would the best players in that team be about Suuali's contract? If he were an out and out superstar, it'd be ok but he's only a bit above average.

Reactions: Red

Dolph

QLD Cup

Dolphins poach Newcastle Knights youngster​

The Dolphins have added to their forward stocks, reportedly poaching Newcastle Knights youngster Oryn Keeley. The 2022 Under 19s Men's State of Origin Player of the Series, Keeley, made his NRL debut for the Knights last year and would manage to feature in a single first-grade game in 2023 against the Dragons in Round 27.

Despite only playing in 19 minutes, Keeley managed 36 running metres, one offload and seven tackles (100 per cent tackle efficiency). As reported by The Mole from Wide World of Sports, Oryn Keeley will join The Dolphins immediately. However, it is unknown how many years the 20-year-old has signed on for.

One of the top young talents from New South Wales, he has been regarded as a future superstar of the game, having represented New South Wales at the Under 16s (captaining the side) and Under 19s level. He also won the 2019 Harold Matthews Cup with the Knights.

However, his progress was delayed by a neck fracture followed by knee surgery. “After being out for two and a half years – nearly three – from my injuries, I came back this year and didn't think I would play Flegg (Under 21s),” Keeley said at the end of 2022.

Equaliser

The Dolphins have added to their forward stocks, reportedly poaching Newcastle Knights youngster Oryn Keeley. The 2022 Under 19s Men's State of Origin Player of the Series, Keeley, made his NRL debut for the Knights last year and would manage to feature in a single first-grade game in 2023 against the Dragons in Round 27.

Despite only playing in 19 minutes, Keeley managed 36 running metres, one offload and seven tackles (100 per cent tackle efficiency). As reported by The Mole from Wide World of Sports, Oryn Keeley will join The Dolphins immediately. However, it is unknown how many years the 20-year-old has signed on for.

One of the top young talents from New South Wales, he has been regarded as a future superstar of the game, having represented New South Wales at the Under 16s (captaining the side) and Under 19s level. He also won the 2019 Harold Matthews Cup with the Knights.

However, his progress was delayed by a neck fracture followed by knee surgery. “After being out for two and a half years – nearly three – from my injuries, I came back this year and didn't think I would play Flegg (Under 21s),” Keeley said at the end of 2022.
Newcastle apparently have some serious salary cap issues and it's a famous RL nursery area. Should be plenty of young players ready to be poached.

Red

Forum staff

Ideally I hope the club recruits well enough to be able to send 2 f Jesse Bromwich, Kenny Bromwich, Mark Nicholls on their way. Probably the latter 2 and hope to squeeze one more decent year out of Jesse. Because in this season just finished, he was average at best.

Dolph

QLD Cup
I think
Ideally I hope the club recruits well enough to be able to send 2 f Jesse Bromwich, Kenny Bromwich, Mark Nicholls on their way. Probably the latter 2 and hope to squeeze one more decent year out of Jesse. Because in this season just finished, he was average at best.
I think both Kenny and Jesse left their commitment and drive in Melbourne. Came up here for a retirement checks.

mr_c

QLD Cup
I think

I think both Kenny and Jesse left their commitment and drive in Melbourne. Came up here for a retirement checks.
disagree they aint fancy but do the one percenters right which few others in team need learn

Equaliser

disagree they aint fancy but do the one percenters right which few others in team need learn
That's true but would be nice if they had a little more impact. Like especially Jesse used to have. His stats for last season were pretty poor.

Dolph

QLD Cup
That might be true of Jesse but he ran for so few metres. Kenny was dropping the ball, missing tackles, giving away penalties.

midlands hobo

Problem is, what big name players are available? Is Wayne going to offer 1mil a year for Jerome Luai? I guess that would work but is slightly overs. Probably worth about 800k. Won't be available until 2025 anyway. I wonder if our ESL insider, midlands hobo midlands hobo can recommend anyone over there. Why not George Williams? I can only guess Wayne has Katoa penciled in as the long-term halfback. Surely he can't be thinking about SoS as the long-term halfback.

I wonder if that highly rated St Helens fullback could be turned into a 5/8?
Rumours are Lachlan Lam is being tapped up by an NRL side, I'm guessing he will be approached a few times during the pacific nations. Otherwise there are no real big talents in SL its where past it players go for a pension and never made it players avoid having to get real jobs

mr_c

QLD Cup
Rumours are Lachlan Lam is being tapped up by an NRL side, I'm guessing he will be approached a few times during the pacific nations. Otherwise there are no real big talents in SL its where past it players go for a pension and never made it players avoid having to get real jobs
yup but you got remember you go to pay a transfer fee to uk clubs plus what he has left on contract

Jetty

QLD Cup
yup but you got remember you go to pay a transfer fee to uk clubs plus what he has left on contract
Plus, I think Katoa is a good halfback. We need a 5/8.

Jetty

QLD Cup

NRL’s 15 boom signings of 2023​

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

(Cowboys to Dolphins)

The ‘Hammer’ couldn’t get a start at the Cowboys, stuck behind gun fullback Scott Drinkwater so he took his talents south. The Cowboys’ loss proved the Dolphins’ gain as Tabuai-Fidow took the inaugural club - and the competition - by storm. Tabuai-Fidow crossed in the first six games of the season, including two doubles, and had scored 15 tries in his first 15 games for the club. The scintillating form saw Tabuai-Fidow controversially picked in the centres ahead of Maroons veteran Dane Gagai. But he repaid coach Billy Slater’s faith by scoring a double in the series opener, including the match-winning try.

Jamayne Isaako

(Titans to Dolphins)

There’s no way to sugarcoat it, Isaako’s NRL career was heading in the wrong direction last year after he’d made such a promising start to it. So how did the Kiwi winger respond after Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett handed him a chance to revitalise his career? He became the first player since Mal Meninga in 1990 to lead the competition in both tries (24) and points (244). Isaako scored 29 tries in his first six NRL seasons before joining the Dolphins and adding another 24 tries in 24 games. Isaako finished third in the competition for linebreaks (29) this season and topped the Dolphins’ tackle busts (104) to win the inaugural Arthur Beetson Medal as the club’s best-and-fairest player.

Jetty

QLD Cup

NRL’s 15 bust signings of 2023​

Anthony Milford

(Knights to Dolphins)

Milford was once the highest-paid player in Broncos history and had one hand on the 2015 Clive Churchill Medal before Johnathan Thurston’s famous field goal. But then came the fall and it felt like a death by a thousand cuts in Brisbane before new coach Kevin Walters finally showed him the door. A police investigation stopped him signing with the Rabbitohs for the 2022 season before charges were dropped and he instead joined the Knights for the second half of last year.

But then came Wayne Bennett, who coached Milford at the Broncos in his glory years, with a career lifeline at the Dolphins. It was supposed to rejuvenate the 29-year-old halfback but Milford put together such a poor pre-season that he wasn’t even picked for Round 1. Bennett went with teenager Isaiya Katoa instead and Milford played just 11 games all season with the majority of them off the bench.

Josh

QLD Cup

NRL’s 15 boom signings of 2023​

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

(Cowboys to Dolphins)

The ‘Hammer’ couldn’t get a start at the Cowboys, stuck behind gun fullback Scott Drinkwater so he took his talents south. The Cowboys’ loss proved the Dolphins’ gain as Tabuai-Fidow took the inaugural club - and the competition - by storm. Tabuai-Fidow crossed in the first six games of the season, including two doubles, and had scored 15 tries in his first 15 games for the club. The scintillating form saw Tabuai-Fidow controversially picked in the centres ahead of Maroons veteran Dane Gagai. But he repaid coach Billy Slater’s faith by scoring a double in the series opener, including the match-winning try.

Jamayne Isaako

(Titans to Dolphins)

There’s no way to sugarcoat it, Isaako’s NRL career was heading in the wrong direction last year after he’d made such a promising start to it. So how did the Kiwi winger respond after Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett handed him a chance to revitalise his career? He became the first player since Mal Meninga in 1990 to lead the competition in both tries (24) and points (244). Isaako scored 29 tries in his first six NRL seasons before joining the Dolphins and adding another 24 tries in 24 games. Isaako finished third in the competition for linebreaks (29) this season and topped the Dolphins’ tackle busts (104) to win the inaugural Arthur Beetson Medal as the club’s best-and-fairest player.
Hammer was very good but not great in the first half of the season. JMK and Gilbert were much better. Isaako was also better.

In the second half of the season, Hammer didn't do very much.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Our go forward had stopped after losing our best forward, and our direction in the halves was lacking. Hammer didn't do much in the second half of the year, true, but I am not sure it was his fault.