First season, 2023

Chris

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS

Grade: C+

Mid-season standing: 6th

Pre-season prediction: Bottom 4

Last year’s finish: N/A

Best value player: Jamayne Isaako ($320,000)

Breakout star in 2024: Jack Bostock

Key stat: Won seven of their first 12 games, but just one of their next 11.

Crawley says: Went a hell of a lot better first up than almost everything thought they would, and won admiration for their never-say-die attitude. Have been cruelled by a lack of depth, injuries and suspensions.

Crystal ball: Addition of Herbie Farnworth, Thomas Flegler and Jake Averillo on the back of Tom Gilbert’s return should have them pushing top eight next year.

Josh

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS

Grade: C+

Mid-season standing: 6th

Pre-season prediction: Bottom 4

Last year’s finish: N/A

Best value player: Jamayne Isaako ($320,000)

Breakout star in 2024: Jack Bostock

Key stat: Won seven of their first 12 games, but just one of their next 11.

Crawley says: Went a hell of a lot better first up than almost everything thought they would, and won admiration for their never-say-die attitude. Have been cruelled by a lack of depth, injuries and suspensions.

Crystal ball: Addition of Herbie Farnworth, Thomas Flegler and Jake Averillo on the back of Tom Gilbert’s return should have them pushing top eight next year.
Seems like a pretty fair summary. It's obvious Wayne believes we have a major 5/8 issue. I wonder what he's going to do. Go with Kodi for another year? Milf is going to have a big off season and come back fitter, faster, more elusive? One of the several centres like Averillo or Herbie is going to be turned into a 5/8? There's a breakout young 5/8 is the QLD Cup?

Dolph

QLD Cup
What went right and what went wrong?
I think:
  • Halves are an issue. Wayne seems happy with Katoa. Next year he has to step up. SOS to the QLD Cup. Wayne obviously not happy with Milf. So who is going to be the 5/8 next year?
  • The form of JMK and Gilbert went right.
  • Their injuries at the same time went wrong.
  • Kafusi can't sneeze without getting suspended.
  • Wallace had a breakout year at 31 years-old.
  • The Bromwiches left their ability in Melbourne.
  • Aitken can't pass and Te Whare is fat.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I think:
  • Halves are an issue. Wayne seems happy with Katoa. Next year he has to step up. SOS to the QLD Cup. Wayne obviously not happy with Milf. So who is going to be the 5/8 next year?
spot on.

I would add, we signed Kerr, to the wrong section

Chris

QLD Cup
I think:
Not too much was expected of Brenko Lee but more than what he ended up doing. Is he off to the ESL? If not, should be. Maybe to play prop.

Chris

QLD Cup

The Dolphins - Lack of squad depth

We all knew that the Dolphins' biggest concern heading into the season was a lack of depth in their squad. The Dolphins shocked us all with an early season charge. At one point they were flying and talking Finals footy.

Then the injuries and suspensions rolled in and the Dolphins were forced to blood players who wouldn't have been in ideal plans for NRL action this season. Anthony Milford's failure to fire really exposed their halves. This was made worse by an injury to Sean O'Sullivan.

No one is blaming the Dolphins for failing to fill out their squad. They were up against it just signing a starting 13 that could compete. That, however, doesn't change the fact that the Phins had, by far, the most shallow squad in the competition.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team

The Dolphins - Lack of squad depth

We all knew that the Dolphins' biggest concern heading into the season was a lack of depth in their squad. The Dolphins shocked us all with an early season charge. At one point they were flying and talking Finals footy.

Then the injuries and suspensions rolled in and the Dolphins were forced to blood players who wouldn't have been in ideal plans for NRL action this season. Anthony Milford's failure to fire really exposed their halves. This was made worse by an injury to Sean O'Sullivan.

No one is blaming the Dolphins for failing to fill out their squad. They were up against it just signing a starting 13 that could compete. That, however, doesn't change the fact that the Phins had, by far, the most shallow squad in the competition.
A good foundation to build on for next year and a few more down the track. Squad bloat would have hamstrung us going forward, because I am sure a lot would not have worked out and we would have been stuck with them on our books.

Aitken, Lee and I think Kerr (although not realized yet), are great examples of his. Thank God Lee is off, and Aitken headed for the same end. Unfortunately, Kerr was signed late, however, by mid-way through next year, you will see what I mean. I am hoping he isnt on big money or a long deal.

Chris

QLD Cup
A good foundation to build on for next year and a few more down the track. Squad bloat would have hamstrung us going forward, because I am sure a lot would not have worked out and we would have been stuck with them on our books.

Aitken, Lee and I think Kerr (although not realized yet), are great examples of his. Thank God Lee is off, and Aitken headed for the same end. Unfortunately, Kerr was signed late, however, by mid-way through next year, you will see what I mean. I am hoping he isnt on big money or a long deal.
Aitken has gone ok. Didn't have a great season but not that bad. Kerr had better pull his socks up in a major way or he'll be lucky to make it in the QLD Cup by the end of next year.

Red

Forum staff
The following seems like a very fair appraisal to me. I'd have been a little critical of the Bromwiches for just not delivering. I think they need to retire. Also Milf, Val and Brenko Lee were all fat. They aren't props. Should have the commitment to.... not be fat.

The aging forward pack, as the article mentioned, is probably the biggest worry for me going into next year. I really thought Aitken is worth keeping around as a utility who can play in the forwards. Seems Benny has other ideas.

Chris

QLD Cup
The following seems like a very fair appraisal to me. I'd have been a little critical of the Bromwiches for just not delivering. I think they need to retire. Also Milf, Val and Brenko Lee were all fat. They aren't props. Should have the commitment to.... not be fat.

The aging forward pack, as the article mentioned, is probably the biggest worry for me going into next year. I really thought Aitken is worth keeping around as a utility who can play in the forwards. Seems Benny has other ideas.
Aging forward pack is a worry for next year and the halves. Is Katoa up to it? Because SOS is an excellent back up halfback but not more than that. And god knows who is going to play 5/8.

Red

Forum staff

Every club’s 2023 breakout star​

DOLPHINS

Valynce Te Whare. It was a big year for several players at the Dolphins, but it’s hard to go past the guy that reached cult hero status after his first NRL game. Te Whare was tipped by his teammates during the pre-season to explode this year and he certainly lived up to the hype in his Round 10 NRL debut, scoring a double, getting two linebreaks, six tackle busts and 81 running metres. Although the 23-year-old rugby union convert learnt some tough lessons in defence, he was an absolute wrecking ball in attack. It’s hard to believe he only played his first game of rugby league last year.

I would have thought Lemuelu would have been the obvious choice. But good luck to Val. I hope he can lose weight and improve him stamina. So he isn't missing tackles far too easily at the back end of games. If he can, he's going to make competition for a spot in the centres absolutely fierce! So much so that one would have wonder about recruitment.

The backline would have to be something like:
  1. Hammer
  2. Issako
  3. Herbie
  4. Val
  5. Niu/Bostock
  6. Averillo
  7. Katoa

Dolph

QLD Cup

Every club’s 2023 breakout star​

DOLPHINS

Valynce Te Whare. It was a big year for several players at the Dolphins, but it’s hard to go past the guy that reached cult hero status after his first NRL game. Te Whare was tipped by his teammates during the pre-season to explode this year and he certainly lived up to the hype in his Round 10 NRL debut, scoring a double, getting two linebreaks, six tackle busts and 81 running metres. Although the 23-year-old rugby union convert learnt some tough lessons in defence, he was an absolute wrecking ball in attack. It’s hard to believe he only played his first game of rugby league last year.

I would have thought Lemuelu would have been the obvious choice. But good luck to Val. I hope he can lose weight and improve him stamina. So he isn't missing tackles far too easily at the back end of games. If he can, he's going to make competition for a spot in the centres absolutely fierce! So much so that one would have wonder about recruitment.

The backline would have to be something like:
  1. Hammer
  2. Issako
  3. Herbie
  4. Val
  5. Niu/Bostock
  6. Averillo
  7. Katoa
If Katoa kicks on to become an really good game manager that backline could work very well. Still a bit worried about our aging pack.

Dolph

QLD Cup

GOOD SIGNS FOR DOLPHINS

It should be acknowledged how impressive Isaiya Katoa has been this year.

The 19-year-old half played 22 games for the Dolphins in his debut season, and then called the shots for Tonga on in international level.

Against a hugely experienced England team he held his own, which is a great sign of development heading into 2024 for a young playmaker.

It’ll be another season under Wayne Bennett, as well as an improved squad with grand finalists Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler to play with.

Phins up.

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Gotta say yesterday he didn't stand out as such but that is good because he wasn't out of his depth. There were a few times I had to question the choice he made but overall he looked pretty comfortable. Or as comfortable as a young lad can be when thrown into 7c and rain with a colder wind.

Josh

QLD Cup
Gotta say yesterday he didn't stand out as such but that is good because he wasn't out of his depth. There were a few times I had to question the choice he made but overall he looked pretty comfortable. Or as comfortable as a young lad can be when thrown into 7c and rain with a colder wind.
How was his kicking game?

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
To be honest not great. I didn't see many deep kicks causing pressure. He over kicked the chase quite a bit letting the fullback off the hook. A few grubber kicks he should have made he passed.

Dolph

QLD Cup
To be honest not great. I didn't see many deep kicks causing pressure. He over kicked the chase quite a bit letting the fullback off the hook. A few grubber kicks he should have made he passed.
Deep kicks are his achilles heel. I'm sure he'll get lots of coaching and practice this off season.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Still not sure why Wayne seemingly isn't looking to raid the ESL. Is he still salty over being not renewed as England coach?

Josh

QLD Cup
Still not sure why Wayne seemingly isn't looking to raid the ESL. Is he still salty over being not renewed as England coach?
He really enjoys his grudges. I read somewhere, maybe last off season, the top personal grudges in the game. I can't remember exactly but Wayne was mentioned:
  • Wayne vs Bellamy
  • Wayne vs Lockyer
  • Wayne vs Karl Morris
  • Wayne vs Ricky Stuart
  • Wayne vs Phil Gould
  • Wayne vs Nick Politis.