What's new

First season, 2023

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
1/2 and/or 5/8 shaping up as the biggest problem for next year.
At least we will get the #8 best halfback next year

If we don't, any love for Sam Walker on a discount deal and get his Dad/Uncle in to help be attacking coaches with some unconventional approaches?

Josh

QLD Cup
At least we will get the #8 best halfback next year

If we don't, any love for Sam Walker on a discount deal and get his Dad/Uncle in to help be attacking coaches with some unconventional approaches?
Sam Walker has always seemed to me to be drastically overrated. For every big play he pulls off, 5 go bad. And he doesn't lead a team around as well as even Katoa. If he was bigger, able to break tackles and able to tackle much better he might be a better running 5/8.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Sam Walker has always seemed to me to be drastically overrated. For every big play he pulls off, 5 go bad. And he doesn't lead a team around as well as even Katoa. If he was bigger, able to break tackles and able to tackle much better he might be a better running 5/8.
They're both very young, I guess Katoa has more upside right now and would demand less $$$. Imagine the clashes though if the Walker brothers were part of Bennet's coaching squad - it would be mayhem.

Jetty

QLD Cup
They're both very young, I guess Katoa has more upside right now and would demand less $$$. Imagine the clashes though if the Walker brothers were part of Bennet's coaching squad - it would be mayhem.
Training would be fun to watch.

Some of the Walker plays like short drop outs are already popular but I doubt their overall coaching philosophy would work in a head coaching position in the NRL.

And I presume the current assistants are meant to be getting ready to take over from Wayne.

Red

Forum staff
This is a fair reflection on the season. Pretty much in line with how experts optimistically predicted. More pessimistic one's tipped us for the spoon. Disappointing after the first half of the season but still not so bad.

Knights have been on fire recently. Might be hard to beat. I think vs Tigers might be the last win of the year.

Power Rankings​

13. The Dolphins

Analysis: No one expected the Dolphins to come close to finals football and with a win over the Bulldogs in Round 22, they could have been well and truly in the race. But after going down by one point, their chances have almost vanished. Super coach Wayne Bennett’s side have impressed the NRL world in their debut season, but injuries to key players like Tom Gilbert (shoulder) have hurt the Dolphins. Every rugby league fan’s second team will have to wait another year for post-season football, and with star recruits Herbie Farnworth and Tom Flegler arriving they could be a serious contender next season. To close out the year, the Dolphins will be desperate to make every post a winner and finish as high as possible in one of the tightest ladders in recent memory.

Injuries: Brenko Lee (leg, indefinite), Tom Gilbert (shoulder, season)

Run home: Knights (h), Roosters (a), Tigers (a), Cowboys (h), Warriors (h)

Chances of making Top 8: 3.9%

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
We have gone great this year.

However, how we have gone is not as important as how we are going to improve. First season is a free hit, how we go next year will determine whether we are taken seriously or not.

We need to score some more talent.

Chris

QLD Cup

However, how we have gone is not as important as how we are going to improve. First season is a free hit, how we go next year will determine whether we are taken seriously or not.

Worried about the halves situation. Other than that, I think we have an excellent squad.

Josh

QLD Cup

Unbelievable first half of the season. Opposite second half. But better than a lot were tipping that the whole thing would be like the second half.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Same here. I wonder if we can throw some big $$$ at Dearden to come back closer to home from 2025 and beyond?
That would be a great move. Considering the Cowboys are almost certainly under salary cap strain. But I think he'd want to stay there. Seems pretty settled.

An even better move would be to unearth a few young playmakers of our own. As far as I know, none of our highly regarded young players yet to play NRL are halves.

There is also the ESL. I wonder if Wayne is making some quiet moves for George Williams for example.

Jetty

QLD Cup
I thought George Jennings was playing for us. Is it another Jennings or was he released? Because George Jennings is playing for Melbourne right now.

Chris

QLD Cup
I thought George Jennings was playing for us. Is it another Jennings or was he released? Because George Jennings is playing for Melbourne right now.
Robert Jennings is on the books for us.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
That would be a great move. Considering the Cowboys are almost certainly under salary cap strain. But I think he'd want to stay there. Seems pretty settled.

An even better move would be to unearth a few young playmakers of our own. As far as I know, none of our highly regarded young players yet to play NRL are halves.

There is also the ESL. I wonder if Wayne is making some quiet moves for George Williams for example.
We don't have any highly promising young playmakers worthy of NRL atm unfortunately, except for Katoa.

The whole NRL has a serious lack of halves at present plus in those coming through the ranks. Maybe it has to do with the size of some of the kids playing junior footy discouraging the traditionally smaller kids who become playmakers at various stages of their development through to 1st grade. The talent scouts have also been ignoring a lot of the smaller players for years now too - e.g. Bennett who kept overlooking JT.

I read there is a 6 year old kid playing juniors who is 64kg - Alfy wasn't far off that when he played 1st grade lol.

Jetty

QLD Cup
We don't have any highly promising young playmakers worthy of NRL atm unfortunately, except for Katoa.

The whole NRL has a serious lack of halves at present plus in those coming through the ranks. Maybe it has to do with the size of some of the kids playing junior footy discouraging the traditionally smaller kids who become playmakers at various stages of their development through to 1st grade. The talent scouts have also been ignoring a lot of the smaller players for years now too - e.g. Bennett who kept overlooking JT.

I read there is a 6 year old kid playing juniors who is 64kg - Alfy wasn't far off that when he played 1st grade lol.
No doubt he's a very good coach but some of his recruitment and retention policies are outdated. Who could forget the 3 year, near million $ a year contract he signed an already sliding Darius Boyd for?

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
No doubt he's a very good coach but some of his recruitment and retention policies are outdated. Who could forget the 3 year, near million $ a year contract he signed an already sliding Darius Boyd for?
The guy wrote the book on coaching. Ok we think it was a 'rich' contract but he was looking at the bigger picture not just his game but his interaction with others, cohesive players have synergy which is priceless.

He obviously had a job for Boyd that probably involved more off field value than we like to give credit for.

Jetty

QLD Cup
The guy wrote the book on coaching. Ok we think it was a 'rich' contract but he was looking at the bigger picture not just his game but his interaction with others, cohesive players have synergy which is priceless.

He obviously had a job for Boyd that probably involved more off field value than we like to give credit for.
Hmmmm You are all the way over there so might have been out of the loop but I can tell you for certain Darius Boyd wasn't in the team because of his interaction with others or the cohesive effect he had on the team. He's famously difficult and prickly and hasn't been sighted near any club since he retired with another year left on his rich contract. I think that was the year the Broncos won the spoon.

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Hmmmm You are all the way over there so might have been out of the loop but I can tell you for certain Darius Boyd wasn't in the team because of his interaction with others or the cohesive effect he had on the team. He's famously difficult and prickly and hasn't been sighted near any club since he retired with another year left on his rich contract. I think that was the year the Broncos won the spoon.
I knew his rep but not that he had gone MIA. The point it was making is there was obviously a plan for him that would have been more than just what he produced on field. Don't forget Wayne himself isn't exactly shy is rubbing people up the wrong way.

Perhaps it was so a developing player could learn from him perhaps it was to put 8 lace holes up someone who was getting complacent. Who knows. But what I've seen and read about Wayne and watched/read his interviews and stuff he's the kind of guy who doesn't have a shit without a plan.

It's easy for us to criticise a perceived bust but I think Wayne has shown he see things we don't.

Jetty

QLD Cup
I knew his rep but not that he had gone MIA. The point it was making is there was obviously a plan for him that would have been more than just what he produced on field. Don't forget Wayne himself isn't exactly shy is rubbing people up the wrong way.

Perhaps it was so a developing player could learn from him perhaps it was to put 8 lace holes up someone who was getting complacent. Who knows. But what I've seen and read about Wayne and watched/read his interviews and stuff he's the kind of guy who doesn't have a shit without a plan.

It's easy for us to criticise a perceived bust but I think Wayne has shown he see things we don't.
For memory he also didn't want Cameron Smith and Johnathon Thurston.

For sure he's had more good signings than bad but he's had a few shockers as well. I guess it happens to everyone who has been around near as long as he has.
Anyway good morning Jetty
Good afternoon!

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Yeah and to top it all off his baby reveal after the game hahahaha, will never forget that.