What's new

First season, 2023

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Final verdict for the Dolphins according to the two most annoying commentators.​

COOPER CRONK: I think Benny's coaching ability can cross over from rugby league. He can coach any sport because he coaches discipline, he coaches effort, he coaches team camaraderie and if he builds that culture within the Dolphins, you’re going to win a lot of games of football based on that.

Bennett isn’t necessarily an Xs and Os type coach, so I worry about the points. You think about Bennett historically, when he’s had a good premiership-winning team, defensively strong, camaraderie through the roof, but they’ve had gun players — Alf, Lockyer, at Souths Latrell and Cody — to score points. Now, the Dolphins don’t have that. I think they’ll be OK. I think discipline, defence, effort will get them somewhere close to the eight finishing probably around 11th or 10th for me.

MICK ENNIS: At the moment Dolphins are trying to build long-term so they get their foundations in place. So they’ve got a coach who builds foundations extremely well and that is the defensive structures and the connection.

Bennett does that, he’s got experience there in amongst this forward pack, as good as you could possibly get with the Bromwich Brothers and Kaufusi, who have been in great systems. Mark Nicholls, tradesman-like but has been in a great system at South Sydney. So they’ve got some foundation players there that can leave a legacy long after they leave.

They need an X-factor and that X-factor for me is Isaiya Katoa, the young kid that played for Tonga in the World Cup. Only a young man, was an absolute star from Barker College playing in the rugby scene and also dominated the lower grades for Penrith. A wonderful young talent and I think they’re giving what we saw in the trials, there’s a lot of pressure on Anthony Milford early just to even hold his spot with Katoa breathing down his neck.

COOPER CRONK: When you look at young players, you look for glimpses. You’re not going to get the whole package but that young kid, with what he has done at the World Cup for Tonga, I saw glimpses. I thought, ‘You know what, this kid could be the six’. Because Sean O’Sullivan is a steady head. He could direct the Dolphins around the field and allow the young kid to develop.

Fox Lab predicted finish: 9th​

Mick Ennis’ prediction: 10th​

Cooper Cronk’s prediction: 9th/10th​

Seems like a pretty reasonable summary. Most so-called experts have us finishing in the bottom 3.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League

The Dolphins: Tesi Niu (123.9)​

Been interesting reading the reaction to the Dolphins’ signing of Herbie Farnworth. A plurality, if not a majority, agreed it upgraded a weak position on the Dolphins’ roster. I can see the logic – Euan Aitken’s the centre you have when you expect to upgrade and Valynce Te Whare might be something, or just a guy who went from reserve grader to fringe first grader when the league expanded. Don’t forget about Tesi Niu, Dolphins fans. His 2022 season consisted of only 754 minutes. If he can come close to his 2022 performance over more than 1500 minutes in the centres, it would be a big step forward. I like his chances.

Last edited:

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
What's with the #, 123.9?
Good question. Something about how much upside potential each player has from the form he had previously showed. A higher number, like 123, means he has already shown tremendous potential.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
Keep writing us off and see what happens.

DOLPHINS FIRST SIX​

• R1: Sydney Roosters, Suncorp Stadium (L)
  • R2: Canberra Raiders, Kayo Stadium (L)
  • R3: Newcastle Knights, McDonald Jones Stadium (L)
  • R4: Brisbane Broncos, Suncorp Stadium (W)
  • R5: St. George Illawarra Dragons, WIN Stadium (L)
  • R6: North Queensland Cowboys, Queensland Country Bank Stadium (L)
  • Record: 1 win/6 losses
Verdict: If Bennett’s mystical coaching powers can get the Dolphins home in one game all season, he would have round four circled on the fridge calendar, right next to a print out of the email via which the Broncos punted him. It’s a formality they get belted first up against the A-list Chooks, and the Raiders could easily give them a bath, while the Knights have the home ground advantage. A win over the Broncos wouldn’t be quite of the same magnitude of Bennett’s 2020 Origin upset with Queensland’s “worst ever team”, but it wouldn’t fall too far short.

Chris

QLD Cup
Courier Mail verdict. Every game is "winnable" but not sure who is thinking about in regard to the 4 very winnable games. 3 are obvious. To me NZ, Cowboys and Warriors are all pretty close. Not sure why only 1 of those would be "very winnable".

DOLPHINS

Current position: 12th on 20 competition points (-81 points differential)

Crawley’s prediction: 11th (28 competition points)

Run home: Panthers (h), bye, Bulldogs (Bundaberg), Knights (Perth), Roosters (a), Tigers (a), Cowboys (h), Warriors (h)

Verdict: It looks like Wayne Bennett will have to live with finishing outside the finals for only the fifth time in 36 years. It’s still a commendable effort for the NRL’s newcomers who many thought would battle to avoid the wooden spoon. Still have four very winnable games and a bye.

Reactions: Red

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
It's interesting looking back at these articles seeing Gilbert only being predicted as a bench reserve. How that changed in such a short space of time.

Chris

QLD Cup
It's interesting looking back at these articles seeing Gilbert only being predicted as a bench reserve. How that changed in such a short space of time.
Some of these gurus always pick a veteran from a Sydney club over promising young Queenslanders.

Josh

QLD Cup

Salary of every spine player at every club revealed​

DOLPHINS​

Fullback: Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow $800,000
Five-eighth: Isaiya Katoa $200,000
Halfback: Sean O’Sullivan $350,000
Hooker: Jeremy Marshall-King $450,000
Total: $1.8 million

Surprisingly it's not that cheap compared to a lot of other clubs though there are a few which blow us out of the water:
  • Parramatta Total: $3.25 million
  • Manly Total: $3.45 million
  • Melbourne Total: $3.54 million
  • South Sydney Total: $2.7million
  • Sydney Roosters Total: $3.2 million
  • Wests Tigers Total: $2.52 million (Luke Brooks is on 1.15million🤡)

Josh

QLD Cup

Salary of every spine player at every club revealed​

DOLPHINS​

Five-eighth: Isaiya Katoa $200,000
Halfback: Sean O’Sullivan $350,000
Hooker: Jeremy Marshall-King $450,000
Total: $1.8 million

Surprisingly it's not that cheap compared to a lot of other clubs though there are a few which blow us out of the water:
  • Parramatta Total: $3.25 million
  • Manly Total: $3.45 million
  • Melbourne Total: $3.54 million
  • South Sydney Total: $2.7million
  • Sydney Roosters Total: $3.2 million
  • Wests Tigers Total: $2.52 million (Luke Brooks is on 1.15million🤡)
Having said that, the Broncos are getting excellent value out of their spine. I think they have the 1/2-5/8 combo just right. Neither is really good but they compliment each others game. Reynolds does the organising and kicking, Mam does what Reynolds can't, run.

BRONCOS​

Fullback: Reece Walsh $450,000
Five-eighth: Ezra Mam $320,000
Halfback: Adam Reynolds $800,000
Hooker: Billy Walters $240,000
Total: $1.81 million

Equaliser

Having said that, the Broncos are getting excellent value out of their spine. I think they have the 1/2-5/8 combo just right. Neither is really good but they compliment each others game. Reynolds does the organising and kicking, Mam does what Reynolds can't, run.

BRONCOS​

Fullback: Reece Walsh $450,000
Five-eighth: Ezra Mam $320,000
Halfback: Adam Reynolds $800,000
Hooker: Billy Walters $240,000
Total: $1.81 million
I'm not sure who they have lined up to take over at halfback or if they plan to get another hooker and if so, who, but I think their premiership window is about to close for another 5 years at least. Milf has been surprisingly good this year but I don't think he's the solution for more than this year. Wayne obviously thinks that as well but not sure Wighton is much better at 5/8.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Wow - in hindsight 800k is decent value now, but considering he was on the bench and 2nd fiddle to Drinkwater last year, that really surprises me we paid this much for Hammer before the season started.

Interesting to see where our players slot in to the highest paid players in the comp here - https://www.zerotackle.com/players/highest-paid-players/

The Bromwhich brothers at 700k and 650k have not performed well for their price tag, and Kafusi at 750k has only played 9 games so far.

JMK for 450k has been crazy good, perhaps him and Walsh for the same price, are the 2 best value signings in the comp?

Surprised to see we got Flegler for more (750k) than Herbie (700k) too.

Josh

QLD Cup
Wow - in hindsight 800k is decent value now, but considering he was on the bench and 2nd fiddle to Drinkwater last year, that really surprises me we paid this much for Hammer before the season started.

Interesting to see where our players slot in to the highest paid players in the comp here - https://www.zerotackle.com/players/highest-paid-players/

The Bromwhich brothers at 700k and 650k have not performed well for their price tag, and Kafusi at 750k has only played 9 games so far.

JMK for 450k has been crazy good, perhaps him and Walsh for the same price, are the 2 best value signings in the comp?

Surprised to see we got Flegler for more (750k) than Herbie (700k) too.
Hammer was upgraded and extended just before Origin.

Josh

QLD Cup
Was the upgrade for this season though, or was he originally signed for 2023 on less than 800k?
Yep. Was significantly upgraded for the rest of this season and extended. JMK was also upgraded and extended from around 250k. I think 450 is a bargain and if hes injury free, might need another upgrade next year.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Yep. Was significantly upgraded for the rest of this season and extended. JMK was also upgraded and extended from around 250k. I think 450 is a bargain and if hes injury free, might need another upgrade next year.
It's so good that they upgraded Hammer when contractually they didn't have to.

JMK originally at 250k has to be one of the best value contracts of all time. Even 450k now like you said is an absolute bargain. Honestly, with Grant on 1 mill, Brandon Smith 800k and Cook 700k - I reckon he would push over 700-800k on an open market if he were available.

Equaliser

WHAT EVERY CLUB'S FORWARD PACK IS WORTH IN 2023​

DOLPHINS​

8. Jesse Bromwich $700,000
9. Jeremy Marshall-King $450,000
10. Mark Nicholls $280,000
11.Felise Kaufusi $750,000
12 Kenny Bromwich $650,000
13. Tom Gilbert $500,000
Total: $3.3 million

Bromwiches and Kafusi overpaid. Gilbert and JMK underpaid.

Equaliser

So kaufusi is on like 100k a game? Bargain....
Maybe we're being a little harsh. Not getting value for money due to injury and suspension. Can't help injury and some of those suspensions were very soft. Jesse Bromwich is a bigger concern.

Red

Forum staff
Top 10 halfbacks according to Phil Rothfield:
  1. Shaun Johnson
  2. Adam Reynolds
  3. Daly Cherry-Evans
  4. Nathan Cleary
  5. Mitchell Moses
  6. Jahrome Hughes
  7. Nicho Hynes
  8. Ben Hunt
  9. Jackson Hastings
  10. Chad Townsend
Normally I wouldn't care what he says but I agree with this. I hope Katoa comes good next year. He's done ok for his first year but needs to be better next year.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Top 10 halfbacks according to Phil Rothfield:
  1. Shaun Johnson
  2. Adam Reynolds
  3. Daly Cherry-Evans
  4. Nathan Cleary
  5. Mitchell Moses
  6. Jahrome Hughes
  7. Nicho Hynes
  8. Ben Hunt
  9. Jackson Hastings
  10. Chad Townsend
Normally I wouldn't care what he says but I agree with this. I hope Katoa comes good next year. He's done ok for his first year but needs to be better next year.
1/2 and/or 5/8 shaping up as the biggest problem for next year.

• Sad
Reactions: Red