What's new

2025 squad/ targets

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
The other thing with development is mindset. When you listen to Katoa speak, you can hear that he is switched on, read to learn and develop, as well as of the right mindset.

The likelihood that those players drop off a cliff is small. Coachability, for all you people with kids, is the most important attribute you can give your child in sports. Too often I have parents complain to me that I am not playing their kid in the right position, or giving them enough minutes, you dont know what you are doing etc, etc. And more often than not, the kid has the same attitude. Do you know what I do to those kids and families?

FIND A NEW CLUB

And the line goes through their name while they remain.

Not only is that a good life lesson to learn in sport, but it also carries over to business too.
I think he's way ahead of where the coaching staff and almost everyone expected him to be so soon. Thurston, Hunt and DCE for example were still running around in QLD or NSW Cup or juniors when they were Katoa's age.

Josh

QLD Cup
its my opinion , if you dont like it doesnt worry me , no where does it say i can't
atleast comment on the post on the subject
I like your opinions though I disagree completely in regard to Katoa. He's already a gun. In 2 or 3 years, I expect he'll be considered one of the best players in the competition.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Thing with Katoa, I think Bennett is doing with him what he did with Soward.

He is playing at 7, and playing to his strengths, giving him early confidence as a youngster.

What we don't see yet, is his running game. I am no expert, however, I seem to think he has a good step and some Shaun Johnson about him.

I think he is an equally good 5/8th because of that running ability we haven't seen much of yet, and its shows by Bennetts confidence to put him there in Kodi's absence.

It gives us great flexibility going forward in pairing him with a 7 or a 5/8th, I think.

I'd really love to see him get in the open, to see if he has that natural pace. If he has I haven't noticed.

Josh

QLD Cup
Thing with Katoa, I think Bennett is doing with him what he did with Soward.

He is playing at 7, and playing to his strengths, giving him early confidence as a youngster.

What we don't see yet, is his running game. I am no expert, however, I seem to think he has a good step and some Shaun Johnson about him.

I think he is an equally good 5/8th because of that running ability we haven't seen much of yet, and its shows by Bennetts confidence to put him there in Kodi's absence.

It gives us great flexibility going forward in pairing him with a 7 or a 5/8th, I think.

I'd really love to see him get in the open, to see if he has that natural pace. If he has I haven't noticed.
I think he's am out and out halfback. I know last season was his first and he was a teenager but I wasn't very impressed with him at 5/8. This year, in his first game at halfback, an instant sensation.

Jetty

QLD Cup
As for Katoa, this is a list by News Ltd of the top 50 U18 school boys from 2022. The vast majority became or are on their way to becoming nothing in RL but this guy was named No.1:

Isaiya Katoa​

Previous Rank: 1​

State: NSW
Position: Halfback/Five-eighth
Affiliation: Dolphins
School: Barker College
Thriving under Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins, the Tongan international showed why he was worth a contract extension until 2028 after almost matching his 22 combined try and line break assists from last year - in nine less games. Classy and mature beyond his years.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
As for Katoa, this is a list by News Ltd of the top 50 U18 school boys from 2022. The vast majority became or are on their way to becoming nothing in RL but this guy was named No.1:

Isaiya Katoa​

Previous Rank: 1​

State: NSW
Position: Halfback/Five-eighth
Affiliation: Dolphins
School: Barker College
Thriving under Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins, the Tongan international showed why he was worth a contract extension until 2028 after almost matching his 22 combined try and line break assists from last year - in nine less games. Classy and mature beyond his years.
And that's the point. Classy and Mature beyond his years. That's what it takes.

I saw a bit of the face to face he did with fox sports. I'd suggest some of the doubters watch it when it airs. I feel he may change their minds.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
In my sport, one of the greats once said. There is less then 1% difference in ability with players at the top level. What separates them all from the ones that are world class, is all upstairs.

mr_c

QLD Cup

CLUBS LOOK TO SHORE UP COACHING RANKS FOR 2025

Incoming Dolphins coach Kristian Woolf is busily planning for life after Wayne Bennett after making two key coaching appointments from NRL rivals St George Illawarra and Newcastle.

Woolf will surround himself with new assistant coaches including brother Ben and ex-Storm and North Queensland player Rory Kostjasyn.

It is understood that Ben told the Dragons of his decision to link up with his brother last month when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The Dragons face the Dolphins on Sunday.

Tweed Seagulls Intrust Super Cup coach Ben Woolf.

While Kostjasyn will relocate to Brisbane for family reasons with his young family having been Adam O’Brien’s assistant coach in recent seasons at the Knights.

The Dragons meanwhile have locked down their other assistant coach in Ryan Carr whose contract was also expiring at the end of this season.

Carr and Ben Woolf were already part of St George Illawarra’s coaching staff when Shane Flanagan was announced in his role. The pair were brought to the club by former coach Anthony Griffin ahead of the 2023 season on two year contracts.

Ben Woolf had spent the five years before taking on the job at the Dragons as head coach of Queensland Cup side Tweed Head Seagulls while Carr impressed during his short-stint as caretaker coach at the Dragons last year.

Woolf is in charge of St George Illawarra’s NSW Cup side this year.

The Dragons have extended assistant coach Ryan Carr’s deal. Picture: Getty Images

The Dragons have extended assistant coach Ryan Carr’s deal. Picture: Getty Images

More Coverage​

Expansion hit list: Who your club might lose to new NRL franchises Expansion hit list: Who your club might lose to new NRL franchises
Where are they now: The 50 best rugby league schoolboys of 2022 Where are they now: The 50 best rugby league schoolboys of 2022
The Dragons may be forced to change their assistant coach set-up with Dean Young in the race to be Brad Arthur’s replacement at Parramatta.

Young has been interviewed by the Eels and has been given a strong endorsement from Flanagan to take over the head coaching duties. Young is competing with ex-teammate Jason Ryles and current Cronulla Sharks assistant Josh Hannay for the top job at Parramatta.

The Eels are hopeful of finalising a decision in the coming days with Hannay’s interview delayed because of his Origin commitm

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

CLUBS LOOK TO SHORE UP COACHING RANKS FOR 2025

Incoming Dolphins coach Kristian Woolf is busily planning for life after Wayne Bennett after making two key coaching appointments from NRL rivals St George Illawarra and Newcastle.

Woolf will surround himself with new assistant coaches including brother Ben and ex-Storm and North Queensland player Rory Kostjasyn.

It is understood that Ben told the Dragons of his decision to link up with his brother last month when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The Dragons face the Dolphins on Sunday.

While Kostjasyn will relocate to Brisbane for family reasons with his young family having been Adam O’Brien’s assistant coach in recent seasons at the Knights.

The Dragons meanwhile have locked down their other assistant coach in Ryan Carr whose contract was also expiring at the end of this season.

Carr and Ben Woolf were already part of St George Illawarra’s coaching staff when Shane Flanagan was announced in his role. The pair were brought to the club by former coach Anthony Griffin ahead of the 2023 season on two year contracts.

Ben Woolf had spent the five years before taking on the job at the Dragons as head coach of Queensland Cup side Tweed Head Seagulls while Carr impressed during his short-stint as caretaker coach at the Dragons last year.

Woolf is in charge of St George Illawarra’s NSW Cup side this year.

More Coverage​

Expansion hit list: Who your club might lose to new NRL franchises Expansion hit list: Who your club might lose to new NRL franchises
Where are they now: The 50 best rugby league schoolboys of 2022 Where are they now: The 50 best rugby league schoolboys of 2022
The Dragons may be forced to change their assistant coach set-up with Dean Young in the race to be Brad Arthur’s replacement at Parramatta.

Young has been interviewed by the Eels and has been given a strong endorsement from Flanagan to take over the head coaching duties. Young is competing with ex-teammate Jason Ryles and current Cronulla Sharks assistant Josh Hannay for the top job at Parramatta.

The Eels are hopeful of finalising a decision in the coming days with Hannay’s interview delayed because of his Origin commitm
Looking forward to seeing what the two Wolves bring to the table.

mr_c

QLD Cup
was suprised griffin wasnt in with them hes big mentor of both and a ex phins boy

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
was suprised griffin wasnt in with them hes big mentor of both and a ex phins boy
Anthony Griffin?

If so, I don't want him anywhere near our club. Watching him drag the dragons into prehistoric football, which saw them sign old, slow, one-dimensional players, was a blight on the Dragons and a major reason they are so far behind under Flanno.

A massive NO from me, and it would frustrate me beyond belief to see him at a club I support again.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Anthony Griffin?

If so, I don't want him anywhere near our club. Watching him drag the dragons into prehistoric football, which saw them sign old, slow, one-dimensional players, was a blight on the Dragons and a major reason they are so far behind under Flanno.

A massive NO from me, and it would frustrate me beyond belief to see him at a club I support again.
He was a good coach literally 15~20 years ago. Though he might be ok as an assistant. It's interesting how many very successful assistant coaches are very bad head coaches.

Last edited:

mr_c

QLD Cup
Anthony Griffin?

lol and just how many of those players were on the same page as him and are actually playing good footy now
none them players in that club played anywhere near there potential, hook could of given them the simplest plan and they still look like muppetts

i remember one game the side did 32 miss tackles in one half thats up to players

the clubs been stuffed well before wayne took over
as i remember gordon tallis said nrl should wipe dragons out they are are coach n player career killer

Josh

QLD Cup
lol and just how many of those players were on the same page as him and are actually playing good footy now
none them players in that club played anywhere near there potential, hook could of given them the simplest plan and they still look like muppetts

i remember one game the side did 32 miss tackles in one half thats up to players

as i remember gordon tallis said nrl should wipe dragons out they are are coach n player career killer
No way will Griffin even be considered as a head coach again but in the future, might be an assistant. For now, I'm happy with the Wolff's and Rory Kostjasyn.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team

He signed the players.

Yes, Griffin can't tackle for them, but it doesn't help signing players like Aaron Woods. Presiding over the most ill-disciplined era at the club, which saw players hiding under beds during covid lockdowns and attending BBQ's, as well as having a win record of 37% one year.

I agree with you in part, the club is a basket case. However, since Flanno arrived there, their form is better under the same upper management, and there is less ill-discipline. What that tells me is that Griffin was part of the problem, but not the full problem, but a big part.

Still a hard no from me, I will blow up deluxe if I see him anywhere near the club.

mr_c

QLD Cup
they improved for one reason players actually see , the light that wasnt shone from the top, after disappearing for last atleast 5 coaches and i think they finially releazised more teams coming mean one thing there chances of keep top young guys will be slim if not preforming