What's new

2024 predictions.

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Today helped our cause but still need to win both our remaining games and hope they lose to Parra or Canberra.
yup we need both wins they must lose one. I can't see it being Parra, however stranger things and all that

Josh

QLD Cup

10. DOLPHINS — B-

In just their second ever season, there weren’t many giving Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins a chance of qualifying for the finals. After 15 rounds, when the NRL’s newest side sat fourth, those doubters certainly had egg on their face. Yet, after 27 rounds, the egg has been washed, with Bennett’s side’s late season capitulation resulting in them losing narrowly to the Knights and stumbling at the final top eight hurdle. The Dolphins won just three of their last 11 games to go from top four hopefuls to ninth-placed headscratchers, wondering how they let their first shot at finals football slip through their fingers. Some will argue Bennett’s deal to re-join the South Sydney Rabbitohs as head coach, signed at the end of May, distracted the super coach and led to the Dolphins’ demise, but there were other factors at play. Injuries certainly didn’t help, with several stars missing chunks of the season. While Bennett’s time at the club is up, several of the club’s key performers this season are young and hungry for success, namely Isaiaya Katoa, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow and Herbie Farnworth. A missed opportunity to make the finals will be rued, though there are definite solid foundations for the club’s future to be built off.

Seems fair. Aitken was a bigger loss than he's given credit for.

mr_c

QLD Cup
we only have build on what we created this season to see fruits in few years

Josh

QLD Cup
we only have build on what we created this season to see fruits in few years
In theory things are positioned well but prop is am issue. With an entire pre-season at 5/8, I'm pretty confident with Averillo.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
In theory things are positioned well but prop is am issue. With an entire pre-season at 5/8, I'm pretty confident with Averillo.
It’s why I liked the signing to begin with. His ability to play 5/8th with his speed is good. Whilst not elite, I think it’s a solid option.

I would like a marquee there. However, if we need to settle for Averillo while we wait for one to be available, I have no issue.

Chris

QLD Cup

DOLPHINS

Dolphins went agonisingly close to securing a finals berth in just their second season in the NRL. Had they got over the Knights in the final round they would have finished eighth in what would have been a stunning achievement for the club after entering the competition last year.

“You look at the Dolphins and go ‘what went wrong?’ because the middle part of the season they were on fire they looked like they were on course for the top four but the wheels came off the last third of the season,” Johns said.

Cronk said, “There were a couple of times when (Dolphins halfback) Isaiya Katoa if he had decided to do something else they were probably a better chance of winning (some of their) games,” he said. “But his upside is pretty good. (Kodi) Nikorima had a career best year. Hammer (Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow) was good as always and he’s the point of difference. But I think if their spine becomes a little bit more experienced and can manage games better. “The biggest one is they led Penrith at Penrith by a bit with 20 minutes to go and Isaiya Katoa takes a shot at a field goal and does something there’s a win that they need to probably get them into the eight.”

With coach Wayne Bennett heading to the Rabbitohs, Johns said he didn’t envy incoming Dolphins coach Kristian Woolf’s assignment of taking over from the supercoach.“A big question here for Kristian Woolf. There’s only ever been Tim Sheens who has taken the baton from Wayne (Bennett) and has made it a success. That was the Canberra side who turned into the green machine,” Johns said. “He was co-coach with Don Furner, Wayne goes to the Broncos, Sheens takes over the side and away they go. Every other coach (who has replaced Bennett) has gone off a cliff.

“When Jason Demetriou took over (from Bennett) I said ‘Wayne’s left a turd under the bench somewhere. You can smell it, you just can’t find it’.”

Jetty

QLD Cup
Some good progress but depth still an issue. Origin could be an issue.

10th at best
Pretty smart!

Who are you backing to win the comp? I kind of hope the Cowboys but TBH, not really fussed. Probably because I know it'll be Melbourne or Penrith.

midlands hobo

Pretty smart!

Who are you backing to win the comp? I kind of hope the Cowboys but TBH, not really fussed. Probably because I know it'll be Melbourne or Penrith.
After seeing them rip apart the sharks its Melbournes to lose.

I would be interested to see if anything comes out in the future about the storms salary cap, like last time they were exceptionally good. That team looks far too good compared to the comp in what should be a level field

midlands hobo

That said if we follow the form guide it is the dogs year to win.

50 years of history choked away

Last edited:

Josh

QLD Cup
After seeing them rip apart the sharks its Melbournes to lose.

I would be interested to see if anything comes out in the future about the storms salary cap, like last time they were exceptionally good. That team looks far too good compared to the comp in what should be a level field
I think they are fine now. Much more worried about Roosters (of course) and Broncos. Melbourne have a few regular starters who weren't wanted by their old clubs. King, Katoa, Blore for example. Even Jerome Huges was a reject fullback.