What's new

Why did you choose to support the Dolphins?

Bluey

Pod Calf
Voted: Moreton Bay Dolphins. I think not calling the Team a geographic name was a massive missed opportunity. The Dolphins are exciting because they are our local team. For me not calling it out sucked a little bit of the excitement away. I am sure I would not have been alone. I feel strongly about Moreton Bay Dolphins because it gives a clear geographic home that is real, bigger, new, but still local; It enfranchises a larger group of people, let’s the non defined surrounding areas still support it and sets up a rivalry with the one team from Brisbane: The Broncos and keeps Redcliffe special. Redcliffe is the clear spiritual home with the proud history being built on. I feel like just going with Redcliffe though would be a bit elitist and let fans in Moreton Bay choose the Broncos which would be death. Sticking with no name disrespects Redcliffe and this idea of hoping to pull fans from all over Brisbane by giving them no name is disingenuous. Are we really fooling south side fans into loving us? Moreton Bay v Brisbane. That can grow I think.
Welcome to the forum.

On the subject of Moreton Bay, Redcliffe and Brisbane, if you haven't already, please cast your vote here:
https://dolphinspod.net/threads/what-should-be-the-dolphins-name.31/

Jetty

QLD Cup
Voted: Moreton Bay Dolphins. I think not calling the Team a geographic name was a massive missed opportunity. The Dolphins are exciting because they are our local team. For me not calling it out sucked a little bit of the excitement away. I am sure I would not have been alone. I feel strongly about Moreton Bay Dolphins because it gives a clear geographic home that is real, bigger, new, but still local; It enfranchises a larger group of people, let’s the non defined surrounding areas still support it and sets up a rivalry with the one team from Brisbane: The Broncos and keeps Redcliffe special. Redcliffe is the clear spiritual home with the proud history being built on. I feel like just going with Redcliffe though would be a bit elitist and let fans in Moreton Bay choose the Broncos which would be death. Sticking with no name disrespects Redcliffe and this idea of hoping to pull fans from all over Brisbane by giving them no name is disingenuous. Are we really fooling south side fans into loving us? Moreton Bay v Brisbane. That can grow I think.
The whole "no name, just a mascot" thing is just ridiculous! It seems the only people who like it are the Broncos. It leaves a space for them to call us, with a straight face, whatever they want. And one can't begrudge them for it. Why wouldn't they?

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
This sums up 'Redcliffe' vs 'Moreton Bay' perfectly. Even if it were 'Redcliffe' that might lead to division between the peninsula and the suburd.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Moreton Bay area definitely has much more room for growth, figuratively and literally.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
I still love the Broncos to be honest. After 34 years of cheering for them: I was there in 88 as a kid watching them beat Parramatta; Ive enjoyed the highs and endured the lows. It’s hard and maybe a bit weird if you could turn that off. At least right away. But, I’ve lived in Moreton Bay for most of my life and went to school at Redcliffe so the Dolphins are special in that they are a team from my local area. We haven’t really had that before in Brisbane: A team that was obviously from a specific area and something special for the locals.
Welcome mate. I agree it does feel strange not going for the Broncos but it also feels right going for The Dolphins. It was especially strange going to Suncorp from Kippa Ring station and not seeing everyone in Broncos jerseys. There was maybe 5-10% and the rest in red so we are certainly not thew only ones.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Maybe if they can't decide on a geographical name they should name the team after the 2 main sponsors.

In which case let's get HO to chase the Foo Fighters so they can be called...

The FooKing Dolphins!