What's new

Round 23: Dolphins vs New Zealand

Josh

QLD Cup
A pretty typical Wayne Bennett half. No one really standing out but everyone doing their job. I'd just say Herbie and Plath were a bit better than the rest.
I've been a critic at time but so far today, this is the best I've seen Averillo play. First half:
3 Herbie
2 Avrillo
1 Plath

Honorable mention to Bostock, Katoa, TPJ, Kafusi

Dolph

QLD Cup
A pretty typical Wayne Bennett half. No one really standing out but everyone doing their job. I'd just say Herbie and Plath were a bit better than the rest.
Plath got through a lot work, made a few good runs, service out of dummy half was almost perfect. Maybe hooker is his position. He goes well at lock but at hooker, he's getting better every game.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
I've been a critic at time but so far today, this is the best I've seen Averillo play. First half:
3 Herbie
2 Avrillo
1 Plath

Honorable mention to Bostock, Katoa, TPJ, Kafusi
Don't speak too soon. Been poor in the second half so far.

Red

Forum staff
Couple of mistakes have them back in it. Averillo offload and Katoa kicks out on the full.

Chris

QLD Cup
I'll tell you this much, unless the Cowboys go on a run their form makes very unlikely, this is going to be the grimmest year for QLD rugby league in a long time.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Katoa has to manage these close games better. The only criticism of his game I have.

Chris

QLD Cup
It's hard to say who the best was. In the first half they all played well, in the second they all played badly. So I'm going to judge them on the first half and therefore

3. Plath
2. Herbie
1. Averillo

The only concession I'll make to the second half is not nominating Kodi or Katoa. They need to manage the game better when we are winning comfortably.

Jack Bostock also had a number of strong carries. I think we can safely say he is now the better of our two wingers. Though Isaako was good as well. As I said, in the first half they were all good.

midlands hobo

I hate 5 am starts.

Our defence is now i think the worst in the league. We ship to many points too easily. twice within the 20 they chipped into the in goal and hammer was nowhere to be seen. The penalty try was a joke you know full well everything is analysed on camera to within an inch of its life so why do it there is only one outcome.

Attack wise I'm getting worried now. Jake/Herbie/Kodi all scored from long breaks. there is no pressure being built. We kick to them they get in their 10 by the last they are kicking from within out half. We collect in out 10 by the 5th we are not even at our own 40. There is no attacking pressure no play in their half, a reliance on penalties to get forwards and too many of the tries come from great work out of the back line.

Edit that kodi try was well forwards! i'm happy he got it but if that was given against we'd all be raging.

Also happy to see Lachlan Hubner get some game time, still think he's under rated

the Storm will Murder us.

Last edited:

Chris

QLD Cup
I hate 5 am starts.

Our defence is now i think the worst in the league. We ship to many points too easily. twice within the 20 they chipped into the in goal and hammer was nowhere to be seen. The penalty try was a joke you know full well everything is analysed on camera to within an inch of its life so why do it there is only one outcome.

Attack wise I'm getting worried now. Jake/Herbie/Kodi all scored from long breaks. there is no pressure being built. We kick to them they get in their 10 by the last they are kicking from within out half. We collect in out 10 by the 5th we are not even at our own 40. There is no attacking pressure no play in their half, a reliance on penalties to get forwards and too many of the tries come from great work out of the back line.

Edit that kodi try was well forwards! i'm happy he got it but if that was given against we'd all be raging.

Also happy to see Lachlan Hubner get some game time, still think he's under rated

Good point. Worst of the teams still in the running for the top 8.

Blockade

QLD Cup
3 Herbie
2 Plath
1 TPJ

It's a relief to finally win of these close, high scoring shoot-outs for a change. The Dolphins have stacks of vulnerabilities but they are certainly not boring. Two more wins (maybe one) should clinch a playoff spot.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I hate 5 am starts.

I thought it was forward too, Averillo gives himself up, looking to the touch line straight after he passes it.

midlands hobo

I thought it was forward too, Averillo gives himself up, looking to the touch line straight after he passes it.
Dont get me wrong they all count but if you break down the performance and strip out long breaks which a top team will shut down more often we lose that game by about 18 points