What's new

Round 2: Dolphins vs St George Illawarra Dragons

Jetty

QLD Cup

Team Tips:​

It was a big loss for the Dolphins in Round 1 and Wayne Bennett wont be afraid to make changes. Connelly Lemuelu suffered a suspected broken kneecap and he will likely be replaced by Kenny Bromwich in the backrow with Jarrod Wallace or Euan Aitken coming onto the bench. Bromwich could also replaced Ray Stone at No.13 after he failed his HIA and as such is set to sit out for Round 2. That will likely see Aitken then start in the backrow. Jake Averillo could also be set for his Dolphins debut, with the backline on the chopping block. However it remains to be seen whether he can force his way into the equation.

Way too early in the season for an injury crisis but 2 backrowers gone for an extended period before round 2 and one more concussed every third week. A replacement who is an out and out middle forward these days (Kenny Bromwich). The football gods haven't smiled on us but St George were a very popular tip for the spoon in the preseason. One good win doesn't make them a top team.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why Wayne would pick Kerr and Nicholls before Wallace. Ditto for SOS and Kodi (as a half) before Katoa. Tessi in the centres before Averillo and Val is also confusing though not as much as Katoa and Wallace. Is there something going on the general public doesn't know about or was Wayne just really impressed with those guys in off season training he dedided to give them first crack for round 1?

I guess that would be reasonable but now we saw what they did in round 1, time to go back to who everyone thought would be in the 17, injuries or not.

mr_c

QLD Cup

It was a big loss for the Dolphins in Round 1 and Wayne Bennett wont be afraid to make changes. Connelly Lemuelu suffered a suspected broken kneecap and he will likely be replaced by Kenny Bromwich in the backrow with Jarrod Wallace or Euan Aitken coming onto the bench. Bromwich could also replaced Ray Stone at No.13 after he failed his HIA and as such is set to sit out for Round 2. That will likely see Aitken then start in the backrow. Jake Averillo could also be set for his Dolphins debut, with the backline on the chopping block. However it remains to be seen whether he can force his way into the equation.

Way too early in the season for an injury crisis but 2 backrowers gone for an extended period before round 2 and one more concussed every third week. A replacement who is an out and out middle forward these days (Kenny Bromwich). The football gods haven't smiled on us but St George were a very popular tip for the spoon in the preseason. One good win doesn't make them a top team.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why Wayne would pick Kerr and Nicholls before Wallace. Ditto for SOS and Kodi (as a half) before Katoa. Tessi in the centres before Averillo and Val is also confusing though not as much as Katoa and Wallace. Is there something going on the general public doesn't know about or was Wayne just really impressed with those guys in off season training he dedided to give them first crack for round 1?

I guess that would be reasonable but now we saw what they did in round 1, time to go back to who everyone thought would be in the 17, injuries or not.
not sure you really want val in there for one reason bar herbie tesi is the only other back tackling they will run all over us bar herbie and tesi our other backs never bade double figures thats concering we need better backs on defence

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League

But for the life of me, I can't understand why Wayne would pick Kerr and Nicholls before Wallace.
Wallace has nice hands in attack and can produce a useful offload, but is too often guilty of pushing the play too far and turning over possession which mustn't please the coach. His defence last year was also a concern - NRL stats show he missed 56 tackles in 19 appearances and had a tackle efficiency under 90% (88.73%). I'm not saying he can't play but if you're asking why he wasn't in the 17 for Round 1 then maybe it's because the coach still thinks there are some areas he needs to improve. As for Nicholls - don't forget he was Dolphins' forward of the year in 2023. Yes, Gilbert or JMK probably would have won the prize if they'd played more games but the fact Nicholls got it based on 21 appearances (compared to 23 for Lemuelu, 22 for KBrom, 21 for JBrom, 21 for Aitken and 19 for Wallace) must mean he is doing something right

Dolph

QLD Cup
Wallace has nice hands in attack and can produce a useful offload, but is too often guilty of pushing the play too far and turning over possession which mustn't please the coach. His defence last year was also a concern - NRL stats show he missed 56 tackles in 19 appearances and had a tackle efficiency under 90% (88.73%). I'm not saying he can't play but if you're asking why he wasn't in the 17 for Round 1 then maybe it's because the coach still thinks there are some areas he needs to improve. As for Nicholls - don't forget he was Dolphins' forward of the year in 2023. Yes, Gilbert or JMK probably would have won the prize if they'd played more games but the fact Nicholls got it based on 21 appearances (compared to 23 for Lemuelu, 22 for KBrom, 21 for JBrom, 21 for Aitken and 19 for Wallace) must mean he is doing something right
Is 88% tackle efficacy for a prop bad? I'd have thought it pretty good.

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League
It's not disastrous but FG forwards should really be above 90%. These are the numbers for the other most-used forwards last year: Kaufusi 94.7%, Nicholls 93.91%, KBrom 93.68%, JBrom 92.31%, JMK 92.25%, Aitken 91.89%, Stone 91.13%, Gilbert 90.73% and Lemuelu 90.61%

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League
Again, I'm not trying to build a case to say Wallace shouldn't be picked - I agree there's nothing more pathetic than keyboard warriors who haven't played a single game of NRL trying to pull apart players who have (some of the strident SOS critics spring to mind here). I only offer these stats because quite a few posters have said they can't believe Wallace wasn't named in Round 1 but we need to accept that the coaches are looking much more closely at players than we are as fans, and they're seeing things we aren't. Regardless, I expect Wallace to be named in the 17 this week and I hope he has a blinder

Dolph

QLD Cup
Again, I'm not trying to build a case to say Wallace shouldn't be picked - I agree there's nothing more pathetic than keyboard warriors who haven't played a single game of NRL trying to pull apart players who have (some of the strident SOS critics spring to mind here). I only offer these stats because quite a few posters have said they can't believe Wallace wasn't named in Round 1 but we need to accept that the coaches are looking much more closely at players than we are as fans, and they're seeing things we aren't. Regardless, I expect Wallace to be named in the 17 this week and I hope he has a blinder
Makes sense in regard to Wallace. I think those couple of missed tackles are worth his offload, ball playing or just hard running. Not sure about SOS. Maybe some criticism is too but he's paid the big money to do a job which he isn't doing.

Jetty

QLD Cup
SOS and Tessi axed. Bostock safe.

Dolphins team:​

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Jake Averillo
  4. Herbie Farnworth
  5. Jack Bostock
  6. Kodi Nikorima
  7. Isaiya Katoa
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Thomas Flegler
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Euan Aitken
  13. Max Plath
  14. Josh Kerr
  15. Kenny Bromwich
  16. Mark Nicholls
  17. Jarrod Wallace
  18. Kurt Donoghoe

Red

Forum staff

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Jake Averillo
  4. Herbie Farnworth
  5. Jack Bostock
  6. Kodi Nikorima
  7. Isaiya Katoa
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Thomas Flegler
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Euan Aitken
  13. Max Plath
  14. Josh Kerr
  15. Kenny Bromwich
  16. Mark Nicholls
  17. Jarrod Wallace
  18. Kurt Donoghoe
Wayne's not screwing around after that disgracful display on Sunday.

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Jake Averillo
  4. Herbie Farnworth
  5. Jack Bostock
  6. Kodi Nikorima
  7. Isaiya Katoa
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Thomas Flegler
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Euan Aitken
  13. Max Plath
  14. Josh Kerr
  15. Kenny Bromwich
  16. Mark Nicholls
  17. Jarrod Wallace
  18. Kurt Donoghoe
Boom - not what I expected but in Wayne we trust. The whole team is on notice now

Jetty

QLD Cup
hammer must be shitting himself
Based on talent and what he did last year, he's safe for a bit yet but if he plays like that again anytime soon, wouldn't surprise me at all if he swaps places with Averillo or Herbie.

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Tesi was garbage and rightly cut, Bostock as i said earlier didn't actually do anything wrong, none of the usual "Fuck sake Jack" moments. but as others pointed out he didn't really do much either. Perhaps being off the radar saved him? But can he go many more games without showing a spark.

SOS is lucky to still be around i thought he would have been shipped to the ESL over the winter. oh yea nobody wanted him. that literally says it all.

Equaliser

Tesi was garbage and rightly cut, Bostock as i said earlier didn't actually do anything wrong, none of the usual "Fuck sake Jack" moments. but as others pointed out he didn't really do much either. Perhaps being off the radar saved him? But can he go many more games without showing a spark.

SOS is lucky to still be around i thought he would have been shipped to the ESL over the winter. oh yea nobody wanted him. that literally says it all.
Bostock is big and fast. No reason he shouldn't at least become similar in ability to Corey Oates. But so far....... I guess we could say he hasn't kicked on as we hoped. He still has time to turn it around.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Bostock is big and fast. No reason he shouldn't at least become similar in ability to Corey Oates. But so far....... I guess we could say he hasn't kicked on as we hoped. He still has time to turn it around.
I don't like Bostock's chances, I havent seen improvement, dating back to the dragons

mr_c

QLD Cup
i just hope like hell that herbie isnt the only 1 tackling from our backs

Equaliser

I don't like Bostock's chances, I havent seen improvement, dating back to the dragons
He still only 19, isn't he? But yeah, I agree. The writing is on the wall. He still has a chance to prove us wrong and I hope he does.
i just hope like hell that herbie isnt the only 1 tackling from our backs
Was it the backs leaking points last game? I thought the lack of defence was all over the park. Though Isaako and Bostock did ok.

midlands hobo

He still only 19, isn't he? But yeah, I agree. The writing is on the wall. He still has a chance to prove us wrong and I hope he does.

Was it the backs leaking points last game? I thought the lack of defence was all over the park. Though Isaako and Bostock did ok.
I think he's closer to 21