What's new

Round 13: Dolphins v St George Illawarra Dragons

Red

Forum staff
This is almost a must win. Last time, without suspended Kafusi and with Bostock making his debut about a year before he was ready, they bashed us up. Since then we've gone in opposite directions which is why we really need to win this. They will also be without Hunt, won't they? Are Origin unavailable this weekend? Or of course this is a Thursday game.

Blockade

QLD Cup
This is almost a must win. Last time, without suspended Kafusi and with Bostock making his debut about a year before he was ready, they bashed us up. Since then we've gone in opposite directions which is why we really need to win this. They will also be without Hunt, won't they? Are Origin unavailable this weekend? Or of course this is a Thursday game.
Origin players not available this weekend. Dolphins are minus Hammer and Gilbert and Ben Hunt won't be around either. I agree that this is a huge game. The next month or so is massive and could give us a better indication on whether this side can grab an unlikely playoff spot or not.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Origin players not available this weekend. Dolphins are minus Hammer and Gilbert and Ben Hunt won't be around either. I agree that this is a huge game. The next month or so is massive and could give us a better indication on whether this side can grab an unlikely playoff spot or not.
Couldn't be a worse time to play St George. Only the Warriors are less affected by Origin. I guess Wests Tigers as well.

Red

Forum staff
Apparently Isaako is going to play fullback. I don't like the move. Given the issues he has had with his ball handling and given the fact he's been playing so well on the wing. Niko to fullback and Milf into 5/8 might be a better option, IMO.

Josh

QLD Cup

Dolphins team:​

1. Kodi Nikorima
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Brenko Lee
  5. Tesi Niu
  6. Anthony Milford
  7. Isaiya Katoa
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Herman Ese’ese
  11. Kenny Bromwich
  12. Connelly Lemuelu
  13. Ray Stone

14. Jarrod Wallace
  15. Mark Nicholls
  16. Mason Teague
  17. Valynce Te Whare

18. Poasa Faamausili
  19. Kurt Donoghoe
  20. Edrick Lee
  21. Jeremiah Simbiken
  22. JJ Collins

Josh

QLD Cup
Apparently Isaako is going to play fullback. I don't like the move. Given the issues he has had with his ball handling and given the fact he's been playing so well on the wing. Niko to fullback and Milf into 5/8 might be a better option, IMO.
Good call!!

Chris

QLD Cup

Dolphins team:​

1. Kodi Nikorima: Good move
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Brenko Lee
  5. Tesi Niu
  6. Anthony Milford: Another good move. Team is better with him on the field.
  7. Isaiya Katoa
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Herman Ese’ese
  11. Kenny Bromwich: As expected
  12. Connelly Lemuelu
  13. Ray Stone

14. Jarrod Wallace
  15. Mark Nicholls
  16. Mason Teague
  17. Valynce Te Whare: Interesting. Is Wayne planning on moving Aitken into the forwards at some stage? Is Brenko Lee about to play in the forwards?

18. Poasa Faamausili
  19. Kurt Donoghoe
  20. Edrick Lee
  21. Jeremiah Simbiken
  22. JJ Collins

Red

Forum staff
Good call!!
Broncos have been stacked for fullbacks for a while. They had Ben Barba and then the second coming debacle of Darius Boyd. I seem to remember Niko played a few games at fullback when they were unavailable.

Blockade

QLD Cup
Broncos have been stacked for fullbacks for a while. They had Ben Barba and then the second coming debacle of Darius Boyd. I seem to remember Niko played a few games at fullback when they were unavailable.
Your memory serves correct. FB was his primary position when he played for the Bronco's NYC team and he did occasionally slot in there for the first grade side.

Bennett used him at HB for a stage there but he was inconsistent. Either brilliant or bad. The writing was on the wall when WB got sacked and Siebold didn't want him. He was cut loose midway through the 2019 campaign and has basically struggled ever since.

Enter 2023 and he has been a very pleasant surprise. He is a massive part of this team and a major attacking weapon. He is a confidence player and his confidence is sky high atm. I have no qualms whatsoever with him being named at FB. He will do the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red

Jetty

QLD Cup
A moment of sobriety has served you well.
Your memory serves correct. FB was his primary position when he played for the Bronco's NYC team and he did occasionally slot in there for the first grade side.

Bennett used him at HB for a stage there but he was inconsistent. Either brilliant or bad. The writing was on the wall when WB got sacked and Siebold didn't want him. He was cut loose midway through the 2019 and has basically struggled since then.

Enter 2023 and he has been a very pleasant surprise. He is a massive part of this team and a major attacking weapon. He is a confidence player and his confidence is sky high atm. I have no qualms whatsoever with him being named at FB. He will do the job.
I can't remember him playing fullback. Don't see why it wouldn't work though a bit of a worry under the high ball. But I like Milf in the starting team. For 2 games in a row when he came off the bench, he's been leading the team around really well. I know he's justifiably copped a lot of flack over recent years but he's another who, I wouldn't say turned back the clock but more reinvented himself. From an attacking superstar to a good game manager.

Red

Forum staff
A moment of sobriety has served you well.

I can't remember him playing fullback. Don't see why it wouldn't work though a bit of a worry under the high ball. But I like Milf in the starting team. For 2 games in a row when he came off the bench, he's been leading the team around really well. I know he's justifiably copped a lot of flack over recent years but he's another who, I wouldn't say turned back the clock but more reinvented himself. From an attacking superstar to a good game manager.
You should try it.

Under the high ball could be a worry. I think Lomax has a reputation as "a jumper". But if our forwards control field position, like they didn't do in the first half and about half the second half last week, it should be ok.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
You should try it.

Under the high ball could be a worry. I think Lomax has a reputation as "a jumper". But if our forwards control field position, like they didn't do in the first half and about half the second half last week, it should be ok.
Last week for much of the game, Storm forwards dominated. Think it had a lot to do with the first 10min. Probably the worst time to be down a player, especially a forward.