What's new

Recruitment and retention

Jetty

QLD Cup
so was posa and the other prop they let go

Leeds forward Rhyse Martin is intrested in taking short term deal with us as wants be in qld
Ese'ese has been about that heavy for his entire career.

Josh

QLD Cup
Glad Wayne put the foot down with Val. Last season the following were fat:
  • Milf
  • Val
  • Brenko Lee
  • Kenny Bromwich
Wallace was pretty good but still a couple of kgs above best weight. Though yeah, maybe not "fat" like those you mentioned.

They need to be training with Aitken. He's a ball of muscle and has been around forever it seems.

mr_c

QLD Cup
i going be really interested is martin is only forwrd we looking at yeah we were looking at the kid from cowboys but that went quiet as if we loose likes of jesse mark and felise we need maybe maartin and another senior lock 2nd rower or two if martin dont come

with two more spots to fill it be intresting if we fill them from the train n trails

Dolph

QLD Cup
i going be really interested is martin is only forwrd we looking at yeah we were looking at the kid from cowboys but that went quiet as if we loose likes of jesse mark and felise we need maybe maartin and another senior lock 2nd rower or two if martin dont come

with two more spots to fill it be intresting if we fill them from the train n trails
Who is Martin? The Penrith backrower? I think he's signed with them long-term.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Second row lock was at dogs
Dogs didn't want him despite their well-published problems in the forwards? Maybe not too bad. Didn't want Averillo either. I still can't quite work that one out. Don't expect Averillo to be the next Billy Slater but from what I saw of the Dogs, he was one of if not their best.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Dogs didn't want him despite their well-published problems in the forwards? Maybe not too bad. Didn't want Averillo either. I still can't quite work that one out. Don't expect Averillo to be the next Billy Slater but from what I saw of the Dogs, he was one of if not their best.
rhyse had issues with managements at dogs

jake wasnt going sit second fiddle to paul alamoti then pual got screwed over too so still cant work that out

Josh

QLD Cup
Club has been a shambles for years. Good! Bulldogs I mean.

Jetty

QLD Cup

Rate each club’s 2024 recruitment drive​

DOLPHINS

Ins: Herbie Farnworth, Thomas Flegler (Broncos), Jake Averillo (Bulldogs), Oryn Keeley (Knights).

Outs: Brenko Lee, JJ Collins (unsigned), Herman Ese’ese (Hull FC), Poasa Faamausili (Bulldogs)

This is as good as it gets when it comes to recruitment drives. The Dolphins have purchased brilliantly, luring Origin and Test stars Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth, the former one of the code’s best young props, the latter a strike weapon in the centres.

Even better, they poached them from the Broncos, eroding the roster of their fierce rivals. Throw in the addition of versatile and speedy Bulldogs utility back Jake Averillo, and the Dolphins have spent their salary-cap pennies wisely.

Rating: A

Chris

QLD Cup

Rate each club’s 2024 recruitment drive​

DOLPHINS

Ins: Herbie Farnworth, Thomas Flegler (Broncos), Jake Averillo (Bulldogs), Oryn Keeley (Knights).

Outs: Brenko Lee, JJ Collins (unsigned), Herman Ese’ese (Hull FC), Poasa Faamausili (Bulldogs)

This is as good as it gets when it comes to recruitment drives. The Dolphins have purchased brilliantly, luring Origin and Test stars Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth, the former one of the code’s best young props, the latter a strike weapon in the centres.

Even better, they poached them from the Broncos, eroding the roster of their fierce rivals. Throw in the addition of versatile and speedy Bulldogs utility back Jake Averillo, and the Dolphins have spent their salary-cap pennies wisely.

Rating: A
Which other clubs got an A?

Josh

QLD Cup

Contract Status of U23 players:​

• Jake Averillo 23 (2026)
  • Tom Gilbert 23 (2028)
  • Valynce Te Whare 23 (2024)
  • Tesi Niu 23 (2024)
  • Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 22 (2027)
  • Max Plath 22 (2026)
  • Kurt Donoghoe 22 (2024)
  • Harrison Graham 22 (2025)
  • Oryn Keeley 21 (2026)
  • Mason Teague 20 (2025)
  • Isaiya Katoa 19 (2025)
  • James Walsh 19 (2024)
  • Jeremiah Simbiken 23 (2025)
  • Ryan Jackson 19 (development, CO in 2025)
  • Michael Waqa 19 (2025)

Red

Forum staff
Papua New Guinea international Rhyse Martin is reportedly gaining a ton of traction from an NRL club as he runs off-contract at the end of the season.

Last playing in the NRL in 2019 with the Canterbury Bulldogs, Martin has been plying his trade overseas at Leeds Rhinos in the Super League but runs off-contract at the end of the season, making him a free agent for the 2025 season.

Since leaving the NRL after a two-year stint (2018-19), Martin has become a fan-favourite and one of the best players for the Rhinos, scoring 802 points in 100 appearances.

Love Rugby League understands that The Dolphins and future head coach Kristian Woolf have identified Martin as a player of interest for the 2025 NRL season.

However, it is unknown at this stage if Martin would be open to a return to the NRL or instead wants to remain overseas in England.

I'm sure Wolff will be looking to recruit from the ESL. Martin plays mostly in the backrow but sometimes in the centres. Kafusi is coming to the end of his career. Seems Aitken won't be a starting backrower. So I guess there will be a spot for Martin next year. Also keep pressure on Lemuelu to be more consistent.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

We tried
Pushed his price up making them unable to bid for some very good juniors around town. Apart from the GF where he had a blinder. I didn't think he was that good anyway. But of course would have been a good #6 to partner Katoa for us. Not trying to say he's not any good. Just overrated from what I've seen.

mr_c

QLD Cup
Pushed his price up making them unable to bid for some very good juniors around town. Apart from the GF where he had a blinder. I didn't think he was that good anyway. But of course would have been a good #6 to partner Katoa for us. Not trying to say he's not any good. Just overrated from what I've seen.
my big concern is him without renyolds going be intresting hes going be a senior half when he goes and i really dont think he has what it takes to step up

heres my reasoning think about how much he hasnt had renyolds and if adam stays to 2025 i not sure he be ready to take riegns alone