Liverbird with Phins up
Pod Origin Rep
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2023
- Messages
- 2,383
You could very well be right."Arms length"...... sure. We all buy that one.
I for one, wouldn't think it was worth it. The prize money for winning the comp is $1 mil. Why would you risk getting fined, to win 1 mil as an NRL club.
You have owners like Bruce Gordon, who is amongst the richest owners in the league, who literally does nothing with the club. He owns the club so he can put WIN TV on free to air TV every weekend. I don't think he honestly cares about winning. And there is no relegation, so meh.
However, I agree, there maybe are clubs that cheat ( clubs for example that have gm's that are at risk of losing their jobs, the GM may think about getting an advantage - in that situation probably), but I think in our day and times, I don't think its as prevalent, as every club despite where they finish get a grant from the NRL as per the value of the TV rites deal. So really the only point in winning is the fans. Even game day revenue/ members rev is quite low. I posted a graph below. Look at one of the bigger segments, Corporate, if you were found cheating, as a club, would you risk your biggest income stream for a 1mil prize cheque at the end of the year? I dont think that would be wise.
However, look at Brisbane, and marry that up with what I said about TPA markets. Which are insignificant, but I discuss because of the belief the Sydney market is the biggest, this indirectly suggest the more powerful market of brisbane, despite the entry of the Dolphins.

Last edited:
