What's new

Promising Juniors

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
I guess he's not really a junior anymore but anyway

Every club’s 2024 breakout star​

DOLPHINS — Max Plath

Trai Fuller emerged as a genuine livewire this season, and as such earnt himself a contract extension until the end of the 2026 season. Despite suffering an ACL injury in reserve grade to close out the year, his campaign was special and once he’s fit to return, it remains to be seen if Kristian Woolf believes he’s best placed at fullback over Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, who could shift into the centres.

However, one man who’s almost certain to start next year, enjoying a breakout season, is Max Plath. The 23-year-old got a taste of first grade in 2023, playing two games before he became a regular in 2024, featuring 21 times. He spent time at lock and at hooker in the absence of Jeremy Marshall-King, with Wayne Bennett putting his faith in the rising star.

Following his season to remember, Plath was named the club’s Player of the Year and signed a contract extension until the end of 2027 in April. That was after he’d signed through to 2026 in December 2023, with the club’s bosses desperate to retain the young gun.

I think this writer is spot on. Plath surprised me by how well he was playing at lock then surprised me by how well he played at hooker.