What's new

new club updates

mr_c

QLD Cup
The NRL is set to make a call on an 18th side by the end of June, while plans are already underway to have a 19th franchise by 2030 –

Josh

QLD Cup
The NRL is set to make a call on an 18th side by the end of June, while plans are already underway to have a 19th franchise by 2030 –
When is the new team going to come in? Will it be Perth or PNG?

Josh

QLD Cup
  1. Perth
  2. PNG
  3. NZ South Island
  4. Ipswich
  5. Pacific
Not sure how the Pacific team would work with no clearly defined home ground.

Dolph

QLD Cup
I see nz2 before PNG.
They are talking about PNG joining for political reasons. To "counter Chinese influence". If it wasn't for the politics, I don't think PNG would be even close. How many Aus based players are going to want to live in PNG? I'd say very few unless they are being paid 15-20% more.

mr_c

QLD Cup
plus with the png berth aus n american( the guys that hosted nrl are chiping in)

Dolph

QLD Cup
plus with the png berth aus n american( the guys that hosted nrl are chiping in)
Is this going to be Aukus 2.0? They get all the benefits and we (Australians) pay for it?

Red

Forum staff
Is this going to be Aukus 2.0? They get all the benefits and we (Australians) pay for it?
I think Aukus is going to end up being scrapped. It's just so impractical. By the time the subs are scheduled for completion, they will have been obsolete for over 10 years.

But I agree about PNG. No way at all it's a better prospect than a second NZ team, third Brisbane / fourth SE QLD team or a Perth team but politics will probably mean PNG is first. Then Perth due to the time zone. Perfect to add another game for TV in the morning or late in AEST zone. It's also a place a lot of Australian players would like to go to. Never been there myself but I hear Perth is a really good place.

Then a second NZ team and way down the track, in about 10 years, a fourth SE QLD team. Not that the fourth team is a bad or impractical. Just that the others are better.

Wouldn't suprise me if PNG and Perth are both brought in whenever the plan is to add the next 2 and then 5 or 6 years later, a second NZ team and fourth SE QLD team.

Each team plays each other once with an expanded finals series. Probably a top 10 and a play off between the teams that miss being in the top 10 for 2 more spots to make it a top 12. Like in the first week of the finals, teams 11~14 play while the top 10 has a rest as a reward for being in the top 10.

Jetty

QLD Cup
I think Aukus is going to end up being scrapped. It's just so impractical. By the time the subs are scheduled for completion, they will have been obsolete for over 10 years.

But I agree about PNG. No way at all it's a better prospect than a second NZ team, third Brisbane / fourth SE QLD team or a Perth team but politics will probably mean PNG is first. Then Perth due to the time zone. Perfect to add another game for TV in the morning or late in AEST zone. It's also a place a lot of Australian players would like to go to. Never been there myself but I hear Perth is a really good place.

Then a second NZ team and way down the track, in about 10 years, a fourth SE QLD team. Not that the fourth team is a bad or impractical. Just that the others are better.

Wouldn't suprise me if PNG and Perth are both brought in whenever the plan is to add the next 2 and then 5 or 6 years later, a second NZ team and fourth SE QLD team.

Each team plays each other once with an expanded finals series. Probably a top 10 and a play off between the teams that miss being in the top 10 for 2 more spots to make it a top 12. Like in the first week of the finals, teams 11~14 play while the top 10 has a rest as a reward for being in the top 10.
Finals series would be quite long and put a lot of people off whose teams aren't involved. Something like last outside the top 8 plays 9th and so on with the top 2 winners joining the 8.

Red

Forum staff
Finals series would be quite long and put a lot of people off whose teams aren't involved. Something like last outside the top 8 plays 9th and so on with the top 2 winners joining the 8.
Good idea. So the bottom couple of teams would have no chance at all of entering the finals but would still have to play teams which are every chance.

mr_c

QLD Cup
theres talk it be in a confrence zone style comp in future they looking at

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
theres talk it be in a confrence zone style comp in future they looking at
How would that work? Like 1/4 of the competition plays the other 1/4 twice, same for the other two 1/4s and the top 4 from each group play in the finals? I don't think it's a good idea. I like the idea of each team playing the other once and an expanded finals series. It would create problems for supporters of the teams that miss out. A long time without any team to support. I think top 8 and then 9th plays 12th and 10th plays 11th for a birth in the expanded finals with the bottom 9 teams not being represented.

Maybe if it's possible a better idea would be to expand the finals series still more. Like top 10, then a shootout between teams 11th to 14th so only 7 clubs not involved. Then make it so there are more games each week in the finals so that it only lasts 2 weeks longer but there are more games each weekend.

midlands hobo

Just a note that RU in NZ is making waves about development players swapping codes. NZ2 would nail the coffin shut on that argument

Josh

QLD Cup
Just a note that RU in NZ is making waves about development players swapping codes. NZ2 would nail the coffin shut on that argument
Need them to be competitive. Warriors were getting big then floundered for a number of years then got big again last year.

Equaliser

Players could be offered incentives to join PNG expansion​

Rugby league’s top stars are set to be offered ‘danger money’ to play in Papua New Guinea as NRL clubs learned the Pacific nation is the preferred candidate for an 18th team.

NRL boss Andrew Abdo presided over a club CEO conference on Thursday ahead of Magic Round in Brisbane where clubs were informed Papua New Guinea was the frontrunner to win the next expansion licence for 2027 or 2028. As revealed earlier, a PNG task-force has been created, with ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys ramping up negotiations with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese as part of a $600 million incursion into the Pacific.

There are fears the introduction of a Papua New Guinea team could be a financial and security disaster for the NRL, which is exploring avenues to reward Australian-based players for representing an 18th team in the Pacific. V’landys is mindful of the security challenges offshore and says NRL players could be offered extra incentives to play for an 18th PNG franchise, including major tax breaks. “It (expansion to PNG) is a few years away but we are certainly looking at this with the Federal government,” V’landys said.

Kind of ridiculous. Should look at Perth, South Island NZ and a 4th SE QLD team first. Revisit PNG is about 10 years.

midlands hobo

Isn't port Moresby like one of the most dangerous places in the hemisphere? Who the fuck is going to 1 live there. 2 go and watch 3. Afford a season ticket.

So you fly in, get an armoured bus to a guarded hotel then the same to the game, have to sit in a secured pen then armoured bus back to the hotel.

Sounds like a great trip away. Or sit with some beer in Your own home and watch on the TV.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Isn't port Moresby like one of the most dangerous places in the hemisphere? Who the fuck is going to 1 live there. 2 go and watch 3. Afford a season ticket.

So you fly in, get an armoured bus to a guarded hotel then the same to the game, have to sit in a secured pen then armoured bus back to the hotel.

Sounds like a great trip away. Or sit with some beer in Your own home and watch on the TV.
It is but apparently it's been getting better over the last decade or so.

Red

Forum staff

Players could be offered incentives to join PNG expansion​

Rugby league’s top stars are set to be offered ‘danger money’ to play in Papua New Guinea as NRL clubs learned the Pacific nation is the preferred candidate for an 18th team.

NRL boss Andrew Abdo presided over a club CEO conference on Thursday ahead of Magic Round in Brisbane where clubs were informed Papua New Guinea was the frontrunner to win the next expansion licence for 2027 or 2028. As revealed earlier, a PNG task-force has been created, with ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys ramping up negotiations with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese as part of a $600 million incursion into the Pacific.

There are fears the introduction of a Papua New Guinea team could be a financial and security disaster for the NRL, which is exploring avenues to reward Australian-based players for representing an 18th team in the Pacific. V’landys is mindful of the security challenges offshore and says NRL players could be offered extra incentives to play for an 18th PNG franchise, including major tax breaks. “It (expansion to PNG) is a few years away but we are certainly looking at this with the Federal government,” V’landys said.

Kind of ridiculous. Should look at Perth, South Island NZ and a 4th SE QLD team first. Revisit PNG is about 10 years.
No need to hurry to bring PNG into the competition. Not as if AFL is about to steal the thunder of the NRL in PNG.