What's new

What should be the Dolphins name?

What should the Dolphins be called? Up to 3 choices.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Fourex

Dolphins Junior League
Look at the crowd last night. Will still have a huge amount of support outside Redcliffe, officially named Redcliffe or not. But FFS, not having a name, just a logo, is embarrassing now.
Reports there were large chants of Redcliffe continuing from the crowd throughout the night on Friday.......

The media in its typical controlling response, has filtered that fact out.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Reports there were large chants of Redcliffe continuing from the crowd throughout the night on Friday.......

The media in its typical controlling response, has filtered that fact out.
I was front row center and didn't hear any Redcliffe chants, definitely not like the 1st game and the one at Redcliffe. Maybe it was drowned out.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
So being well into the season has anyone's thoughts on team region/name changed?

Less commentators seem to be calling us Redcliffe now, with the exception of Corey Parker who lets it slip sometimes still.

We seem to be everyone else's 2nd favourite team now based on our performances, with a definite strong supporter base across Redcliffe, SE Qld/Sunny Coast and even interstate by the looks of it.

I am still not sure personally. In some ways it has boosted the brand of the actual Redcliffe Dolphins but in others seems to have diluted/confused it a bit. If it weren't for the facilities and $$$ from the leagues club, I wonder if it would have been better to just the new team from scratch - I quite like the name Moreton Bay Snappers.

Either way the club's been an overwhelming success so far for sure in every area, so the rest is just hearsay.

Dolph

QLD Cup
So being well into the season has anyone's thoughts on team region/name changed?

Less commentators seem to be calling us Redcliffe now, with the exception of Corey Parker who lets it slip sometimes still.

We seem to be everyone else's 2nd favourite team now based on our performances, with a definite strong supporter base across Redcliffe, SE Qld/Sunny Coast and even interstate by the looks of it.

I am still not sure personally. In some ways it has boosted the brand of the actual Redcliffe Dolphins but in others seems to have diluted/confused it a bit. If it weren't for the facilities and $$$ from the leagues club, I wonder if it would have been better to just the new team from scratch - I quite like the name Moreton Bay Snappers.

Either way the club's been an overwhelming success so far for sure in every area, so the rest is just hearsay.
I voted Moreton Bay, Redcliffe, SE QLD. My first choice would be Moreton Bay Dolphins.
Starting from scratch wouldn't have been a bad idea if it were just a question of the team but it got/gets a huge amount of financial support from the Redcliffe club.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
If you watch the replay you can hear the referee (i think it was the ref) calling out Redcliffe.

I know Redcliffe is heritage. However, it's a far too narrow from a target market point of view for the NRL. Moreton Bay is probably just acceptable.

From a marketing stand point they were smart just calling them the Dolphins. Because region doesn't prevent you from following them.

They don't want unnecessary barriers to supporters coming on board. If you label them you are narrowing that.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
If you watch the replay you can hear the referee (i think it was the ref) calling out Redcliffe.

I know Redcliffe is heritage. However, it's a far too narrow from a target market point of view for the NRL. Moreton Bay is probably just acceptable.

From a marketing stand point they were smart just calling them the Dolphins. Because region doesn't prevent you from following them.

They don't want unnecessary barriers to supporters coming on board. If you label them you are narrowing that.
That's what a lot of people were talking about here

https://dolphinspod.net/threads/why-did-you-choose-to-support-the-dolphins.40/

I tend to agree.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup

I noticed that the ref called them Redcliffe a couple of weeks ago, was quite surprised. As much as I'd love them to keep the Redcliffe name personally, I do agree with your sentiments. I just wish they would call them something and not THE, lol. It's a bit ridiculous.

Josh

QLD Cup
I noticed that the ref called them Redcliffe a couple of weeks ago, was quite surprised. As much as I'd love them to keep the Redcliffe name personally, I do agree with your sentiments. I just wish they would call them something and not THE, lol. It's a bit ridiculous.
100%. Risks turning a very serious team into a laughing stock. The Drongos are already giving it to us!

midlands hobo

If we were to win it every year, that would work. What time is it over there? It's going to be perfect evening for rugby league here.
Currently 7.45. Mrs was at work at 630 so not too bad maccys breakfast and a morning of footy

Red

Forum staff
Kevin Walters getting cocky again publicly referring to us as "Redcliffe"...........

Equaliser

Kevin Walters getting cocky again publicly referring to us as "Redcliffe"...........
Club only has itself to blame. Walters isn't forcing them to not give the team a proper name.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Club only has itself to blame. Walters isn't forcing them to not give the team a proper name.
100%. Everyone, especially the old school guys like Walters, Parker etc. all call us for what we are... Redcliffe. That last game against the Eels at the Sunny Coast - the actual seats underrcover in their stadium were half empty. That's because youi could only buy seats to that game and our other home games at Kayo as part of a joint package. So ended up a heap of vacant seats because people had to buy tix to that game to be able to attend the other 3 proper Redcliffe games. Dumb money grab.