What's new

Round 24: Dolphins vs Sydney Roosters

Blockade

QLD Cup
SOS is deplorable. I feel sorry for him. They need to sort out their halves situation for next year and this park footballer cannot be anywhere near the joint.

Dolph

QLD Cup
SOS is deplorable. I feel sorry for him. They need to sort out their halves situation for next year and this park footballer cannot be anywhere near the joint.
Does Benny keep picking him because he's such good friends with SOS's old man?

Blockade

QLD Cup
Does Benny keep picking him because he's such good friends with SOS's old man?
He keeps picking him because he is the only organiser in the squad. He has a great footy brain but just doesn't have the skill levels to implement anything. I'm doubtful that he'll be a regular next year as they will go nowhere with him steering the ship.

Dolph

QLD Cup
He keeps picking him because he is the only organiser in the squad. He has a great footy brain but just doesn't have the skill levels to implement anything. I'm doubtful that he'll be a regular next year as they will go nowhere with him steering the ship.
Disagree. I think Katoa has so far been underwhelming this season but still better than SOS. And when Katoa was halfback, he wasn't great but didn't stink up the joint either.

Josh

QLD Cup
Disagree. I think Katoa has so far been underwhelming this season but still better than SOS. And when Katoa was halfback, he wasn't great but didn't stink up the joint either.
Wayne was given the job of setting the team up for long term success. Mayb he sees Katoa as the long term halfback but wants to ease into the NRL. Not throw him in the deep end.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Wayne was given the job of setting the team up for long term success. Mayb he sees Katoa as the long term halfback but wants to ease into the NRL. Not throw him in the deep end.
That would make sense if Katoa had only played a few games this year. Now, with only a few rounds left and finals not possible is exactly the time young players get a chance.

I can only guess it has something to do with Wayne's relationship with SOS's dad. I believe he has followed Wayne at a few clubs now. I think Newcastle, Souths and now us.

Dolph

QLD Cup
Jesse Bromwich 73 run metres. Kenny Bromwich 60 run metres. Combined they ran for 2 more metres than Jarrod Wallace.

For the amount of money they are on, the club has every reason to expect more from them.

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League
That would make sense if Katoa had only played a few games this year. Now, with only a few rounds left and finals not possible is exactly the time young players get a chance.

I can only guess it has something to do with Wayne's relationship with SOS's dad. I believe he has followed Wayne at a few clubs now. I think Newcastle, Souths and now us.
That's ridiculous - someone who has coached more than 900 NRL games (not to mention his years coaching in QRL before that) hasn't survived and thrived for that long by doing favours to some player's dad. Bennett clearly believes SOS is a first grade quality halfback but he probably needs a bit of luck when it comes to injury. SOS was great for the Dolphins in the first four rounds and while he was understandably rusty when he first came back from injury, I think he is getting better each week. He is also, by all accounts, one of the hardest working and smartest footy players in the squad. Hopefully he gets a full injury-free season next year to finally show what he is capable of

Jetty

QLD Cup
That's ridiculous - someone who has coached more than 900 NRL games (not to mention his years coaching in QRL before that) hasn't survived and thrived for that long by doing favours to some player's dad. Bennett clearly believes SOS is a first grade quality halfback but he probably needs a bit of luck when it comes to injury. SOS was great for the Dolphins in the first four rounds and while he was understandably rusty when he first came back from injury, I think he is getting better each week. He is also, by all accounts, one of the hardest working and smartest footy players in the squad. Hopefully he gets a full injury-free season next year to finally show what he is capable of
That's probably right but I disagree about SOS. He's been a fringe first grader for some years now. We need more than a fringe first grade halfback.

Blockade

QLD Cup
That's probably right but I disagree about SOS. He's been a fringe first grader for some years now. We need more than a fringe first grade halfback.
Yep, he isn't the answer. There is a reason why he has bounced around to five different clubs by the age of 24. An able backup but nowhere near the skill level required to hold down a #1 HB job. It's a real shame because he is a great clubman and knows the game inside out. He reminds me a bit of Brett Firman.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Yep, he isn't the answer. There is a reason why he has bounced around to five different clubs by the age of 24. An able backup but nowhere near the skill level required to hold down a #1 HB job. It's a real shame because he is a great clubman and knows the game inside out. He reminds me a bit of Brett Firman.
He tries really hard and I'm sure trains the same way. But lacks ability, IMO. As you said, a good back up halfback but not NRL standard as anything more than a back up. I'm just trying to understand why Wayne has gone negative on Katoa. Like SOS he hasn't been great but I think he was getting better and he certaionly has more upside than SOS.

Josh

QLD Cup
We won't win anything with SOS as first choice half. I doubt it anyway.

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League
I’m not sure what you’re all considering to be a first grade HB. Looking through the competition there are a few outstanding HBs in Cleary, DCE, Hunt, Hughes, Reynolds and Moses, a few very good HBs like Nico, Townsend and Brooks, and then quite a lot of HBs that will never play Origin or Test matches but are still - by definition - first grade HBs. As I said before, injury has been SOS’s great enemy and is largely the reason he has bounced around so many clubs at such a young age. If he can get a couple of injury-free years (and, no, no-one can guarantee he will) I am sure he’ll prove himself to be a better-than-average first grade HB

Jetty

QLD Cup
I’m not sure what you’re all considering to be a first grade HB. Looking through the competition there are a few outstanding HBs in Cleary, DCE, Hunt, Hughes, Reynolds and Moses, a few very good HBs like Nico, Townsend and Brooks, and then quite a lot of HBs that will never play Origin or Test matches but are still - by definition - first grade HBs. As I said before, injury has been SOS’s great enemy and is largely the reason he has bounced around so many clubs at such a young age. If he can get a couple of injury-free years (and, no, no-one can guarantee he will) I am sure he’ll prove himself to be a better-than-average first grade HB
Hmmmmm hope you're right. At least if Wayne doesn't have confidence in Katoa. I'd rate SOS about the same as Bulldogs, Titans, Roosters halfbacks. None of whom I rate. Maybe Titans halfback is a bit better because he can kick much further and tackles better. Sam Walker is a bit better because occasionally he does come up with big plays. I'd say Flanagan/Sexton and SOS are the worst regular starting halfbacks in the competition.