What's new

Round 24: Dolphins vs Sydney Roosters

Red

Forum staff
Team Tips:
Valynce Te Whare could be in danger of losing his place after some defensive lapses against the Knights, but who replaces him is less clear with Euan Aitken sidelined with a knee injury. Anthony Milford was picked at five-eighth last week, but came off the bench, with Isaiya Katoa partnering Sean O’Sullivan in the halves. Ray Stone is a chance to come into the 17.

I hope Val doesn't get dropped. His fitness is improving. Slowly but surely. If we were still a chance of making the finals Benny probably should tell him to get his fitness sorted out in the QLD Cup but as of now, throw him in the deep end so hopefully he's swimming quite well by the end of the season.

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League
Team Tips:
Valynce Te Whare could be in danger of losing his place after some defensive lapses against the Knights, but who replaces him is less clear with Euan Aitken sidelined with a knee injury. Anthony Milford was picked at five-eighth last week, but came off the bench, with Isaiya Katoa partnering Sean O’Sullivan in the halves. Ray Stone is a chance to come into the 17.

I hope Val doesn't get dropped. His fitness is improving. Slowly but surely. If we were still a chance of making the finals Benny probably should tell him to get his fitness sorted out in the QLD Cup but as of now, throw him in the deep end so hopefully he's swimming quite well by the end of the season.
I think Val's fitness is less of an issue than his defensive reads - far too often he finds himself well past the ball, isolated and out of play, making it too easy for light-footed players like Ponga to carve them up. I agree that with semis now out of reach, it's worth the investment of keeping him in first grade for the last four rounds to keep working on it, because there is a lot to like about with ball in hand

Chris

QLD Cup
I think Val's fitness is less of an issue than his defensive reads - far too often he finds himself well past the ball, isolated and out of play, making it too easy for light-footed players like Ponga to carve them up. I agree that with semis now out of reach, it's worth the investment of keeping him in first grade for the last four rounds to keep working on it, because there is a lot to like about with ball in hand
His defensive reads are worst at the backend of games. Does it have to do with fitness?

Josh

QLD Cup

Dolphins team:​

1. Kodi Nikorima
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  4. Valynce Te Whare
  5. Tesi Niu
  6. Isaiya Katoa
  7. Sean O’Sullivan
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Mark Nicholls
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Connelly Lemuelu
  13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Ray Stone
  15. Josh Kerr
  16. Anthony Milford
  17. Jarrod Wallace

18. Herman Ese’ese
  19. Max Plath
  20. Poasa Faamausili
  21. Harrison Graham
  22. Jack Bostock

• Ese'ese dropped? Punished for that nothing penalty late in the game? Wallace and he have been our best props this year.
  • Milf still on the bench. Is he not fit enough to play 80min? For me he starts or he's not in the 17.
  • Hammer still in the centres. Don't like it.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
Analysis: Kodi Nikorima has been named at fullback which sees Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow moves to the centres. Meanwhile, forward Ray Stone returns from a broken hand and has replaced Herman Ese’ese on the bench.

Wayne is playing favourites here. If any middle forward was going to be dropped it should have been Kenny Bromwich, Kerr or Nicholls. Even Jesse Bromwich but because he's captain, it might be too big a call.

Blockade

QLD Cup
Analysis: Kodi Nikorima has been named at fullback which sees Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow moves to the centres. Meanwhile, forward Ray Stone returns from a broken hand and has replaced Herman Ese’ese on the bench.

Wayne is playing favourites here. If any middle forward was going to be dropped it should have been Kenny Bromwich, Kerr or Nicholls. Even Jesse Bromwich but because he's captain, it might be too big a call.
Josh Kerr has been especially disappointing. He's got a big lean frame but is very slow and seems a bit off the pace. He doesn't get his hands dirty enough either. Maybe Bennett can make a useful player out of him.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Josh Kerr has been especially disappointing. He's got a big lean frame but is very slow and seems a bit off the pace. He doesn't get his hands dirty enough either. Maybe Bennett can make a useful player out of him.
For his size, he really doesn't make much of a dent in the opposition defensive line. He's not slow either. Can't quite figure out why he seems to be so easy to tackle.

midlands hobo

I'm missing this one as travelling to Wembley for the challenge cup final.

Will probably not get to see the catch up until Monday

midlands hobo

His defensive reads are worst at the backend of games. Does it have to do with fitness?
Probably. I think as he gets more gassed he takes just the bit longer to make it too the line giving him less time to make the read.

Josh

QLD Cup
Probably. I think as he gets more gassed he takes just the bit longer to make it too the line giving him less time to make the read.
That's what I think as well. Hopefully from round 1 next year he's ready to go as far as fitness goes.

Equaliser

Lol, I'll settle for someone able to hold the catch the ball
I can't remember his name. George _______________ maybe but the England halfback who used to play for Canberra. A gun halfback. No idea why about half the NRL clubs in he comp aren't tripping over themselves to sign him.

midlands hobo

Wi
I can't remember his name. George _______________ maybe but the England halfback who used to play for Canberra. A gun halfback. No idea why about half the NRL clubs in he comp aren't tripping over themselves to sign him.
George Williams. I don't believe he left on good terms and made himself a bit toxic on the way out

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
Wi

George Williams. I don't believe he left on good terms and made himself a bit toxic on the way out
Probably had something to do with his contract at Canberra. He was barred from signing with another NRL team. And now any team would have to pay a large transfer fee to his ESL club. NRL clubs without a good halfback think it's better spending money on a young player. Just a guess. Because as you said, a really good halfback who would be a natural target for several NRL clubs.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
For his size, he really doesn't make much of a dent in the opposition defensive line. He's not slow either. Can't quite figure out why he seems to be so easy to tackle.
As I said when we signed him, he is the softest player pound for pound in the league.

Reserve grader at best.

I was actually gutted when we signed him, angry in fact.

All his talk about coming home, and his effort is still bog average.

If we are seeing him in contention for our game day line ups in the future, we’re in big trouble

Red

Forum staff
As I said when we signed him, he is the softest player pound for pound in the league.

Reserve grader at best.

If we are seeing him in contention for our game day line ups in the future, we’re in big trouble
Wonder what was going through Benny's head when he signed him.

Equaliser

Reserve grader at best.

Wonder what was going through Benny's head when he signed him.
He still might come good.