What's new

Promising Juniors

Red

Forum staff
In the first year with a whole new team assembled it's been hard to know what's what in regard to juniors coming though. We have development players:
  • Harrison Graham (2023)
  • Jack Bostock (2023)
  • Jeremiah Simbiken (2024 CO 2025)
  • Michael Roberts (2023)
I know there have been big wraps in Roberts for a while but it might be just hype because of his brother. As is often the case.

Dolphins players in the top 50 schoolboys:​

John-Paul Donevski​

State: Queensland
Position: Centre/wing/fullback
Affiliation: The Dolphins
School: Wavell State High School
Recruited from Penrith by the Dolphins, Donesvki can play anywhere in the outside backs.

John Fineanganofo​

Position: Lock
Affiliation: Dolphins
School: Redcliffe State High School
A member of the Dolphins academy, Fineanganofo is equally any home at lock or five-eighth. Was outstanding in the Mal Meninga Cup as he helped the Dolphins win the premiership.

Zac Garton​

Position: Second row
School: Caloundra State High School
A Sunshine Coast product who was signed to the Dolphins Academy, Garton is an edge forward who helped his club win the Meninga Cup.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
In the first year with a whole new team assembled it's been hard to know what's what in regard to juniors coming though. We have development players:
  • Harrison Graham (2023)
  • Jack Bostock (2023)
  • Jeremiah Simbiken (2024 CO 2025)
  • Michael Roberts (2023)
I know there have been big wraps in Roberts for a while but it might be just hype because of his brother. As is often the case.

Dolphins players in the top 50 schoolboys:​

John-Paul Donevski​

Recruited from Penrith by the Dolphins, Donesvki can play anywhere in the outside backs.

John Fineanganofo​

A member of the Dolphins academy, Fineanganofo is equally any home at lock or five-eighth. Was outstanding in the Mal Meninga Cup as he helped the Dolphins win the premiership.

Zac Garton​

A Sunshine Coast product who was signed to the Dolphins Academy, Garton is an edge forward who helped his club win the Meninga Cup.
Really going to be need a props. After next year, we will lose Ese'ese, Jesse Bromwich, Wallace and Nicholls.

Get Flegler and recruit at least one more. Need some young props coming through.

Reactions: Red

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
I really think it's a snowball effect with these things.

Once people realize we are the real deal, which i think we have achieved this season. We will attract juniors, and then start blooding them.

Give it another 3 years and we will see a couple i reckon.

Equaliser

I really think it's a snowball effect with these things.

Once people realize we are the real deal, which i think we have achieved this season. We will attract juniors, and then start blooding them.

Give it another 3 years and we will see a couple i reckon.
Agree but still need to be proactive.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Agreed. we need a bit more recruitment happening. I am sure its going on behind the scenes. I do like Bennetts mantra of not making big mistakes that can set you back years.

Ben Hunt to the Dragons is a great example. Big/long contract and hasn't delivered finals footy.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Agreed. we need a bit more recruitment happening. I am sure its going on behind the scenes. I do like Bennetts mantra of not making big mistakes that can set you back years.

Ben Hunt to the Dragons is a great example. Big/long contract and hasn't delivered finals footy.
Bennett has had his fair share of big mistake contracts too, particularly how he left Newcastle.

Also I wouldn't blame Ben Hunt for the Dragons woes - that goes way deeper through the team, coaches and the club officers.

Josh

QLD Cup
Bennett has had his fair share of big mistake contracts too, particularly how he left Newcastle.

Also I wouldn't blame Ben Hunt for the Dragons woes - that goes way deeper through the team, coaches and the club officers.
That's true about Hunt but I'm not in favour of signing him unless it's for money way, way lower than is being talked about. He's 33 now. We are building nicely for the future and long-term success. I hope Wayne isn't doing what he did at Newcastle. Going all out for short-term success at the expense of long term success.

Josh

QLD Cup
Congrats to the following for selection in the QLD U19 team

Caleb Jackson​

Club: Redcliffe Dolphins/The Dolphins
Position: Centre
Contract status: 2025
Progressing rapidly through the grades, Jackson made his QLD Cup debut earlier this year under coach Ben Te’o. Capable of playing fullback, The Dolphins have high hopes for the young talent.

Ryan Jackson​

Club: Redcliffe Dolphins/The Dolphins
Position: Prop
Signed with the Dolphins from Wynnum Manly Seagulls. Was picked in the Queensland under-18 emerging squad last year. Played 12 Queensland Cup

Michael Waqa​

Club: Dolphins
Position: Prop
On an NRL development contract. A local Redcliffe product who joined the Dolphins on a train and trial deal during the pre-season. Will move into the top 30 in 2025.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team

That’s what you mean. He isn’t exactly to blame directly. He isn’t playing badly. However he takes up so much cap space, that the rest of the team is rubbish

Equaliser

That’s what you mean. He isn’t exactly to blame directly. He isn’t playing badly. However he takes up so much cap space, that the rest of the team is rubbish
Agree. Don't want that replicated here. A marquee playmaker has to be not only good himself but make teammates better.

Equaliser

SCHOOLBOY TOP 50 RE-RANKED​

#42 John-Paul Donevski​

Recruited from Penrith by the Dolphins, Donesvki can play anywhere in the outside backs. Had brief moments of impact at the ASSRL Nationals.

#25 Zac Garton​

A Sunshine Coast product who was signed to the Dolphins Academy, the edge forward enhanced his reputation at the ASSRL nationals playing tough.

#17 John Fineanganofo​

A member of the Dolphins academy and new Australian schoolboy, Fineanganofo played injured (shoulder) at the ASSRL championships but you’d never know it. He is qually any home at lock or five-eighth, and comfortable as a passing player or explosive runner.

Equaliser

The NRL’s top-50 players under 23 ranked​

#26 Isaiya Katoa​

Position: Five-eighth/Halfback
Junior club: Glenmore Park Brumbies
Off-contract: End of 2025
Poached from Penrith, Katoa was the brightest halves prospect in the country. It’s clear to see why. The youngster has handled his rookie season in an unforgivable position with maturity. Composed and controlled, Katoa will be one of the NRL’s elite playmakers.

Equaliser

#17 Herbie Farnworth​

Club: Brisbane Broncos
Junior club: Newton Storm
Off-contract: 2023, Dolphins end of 2026
Farnworth’s workrate has him placed comfortably among the best centres in the game, where he is averaging 170 metres per game. The Englishman has made strides when it comes to his defence in 2022 and is safe under the high ball.

Equaliser

#16 Thomas Gilbert​

Junior club: Norths Devils
Off-contract: End of 2025
Gilbert’s game has gone to the next level under the guidance of Wayne Bennett. The proof is in the numbers. Gilbert’s run metres, tackle breaks and linebreaks are all up under Bennett. Suffered a season ending shoulder injury in Origin I.

Equaliser

#14 Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow​

Position: Fullback
Junior club: Cairns Kangaroos
Off-contract: End of 2027
Not viewed as a long-term fullback, Tabuai-Fidow was granted a release from the final year of his deal with the Cowboys. But ‘The Hammer’ has flourished under Wayne Bennett as a Dolphins marquee signing. The try scoring machine crossed the line four times in this year’s Origin series.

Chris

QLD Cup

#17 Herbie Farnworth​

Club: Brisbane Broncos
Junior club: Newton Storm
Off-contract: 2023, Dolphins end of 2026
Farnworth’s workrate has him placed comfortably among the best centres in the game, where he is averaging 170 metres per game. The Englishman has made strides when it comes to his defence in 2022 and is safe under the high ball.
Getting in on this one early(y).

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
We could be anything really in 3 years time.

On recent form, I'd throw Averilo into that top 50 list, he's only 22. Caleb Jackson is a huge prospect too looking forward. Add Val into the mix and it's gonna be a tough gig playing starting centre. Hope we don't lose Caleb but its hard to keep so many.

Josh

QLD Cup

Top 50 players under 23​

*changing clubs in 2024
Dolphins
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys
14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

16. Thomas Gilbert

26. Isaiya Katoa
1. Payne Haas
2. Reece Walsh
11. Selwyn Cobbo
15. Ezra Mam
17. Herbie Farnworth*
18. Thomas Flegler*
23. Jordan Riki
5. Tino Fa‘asuamaleaui
7. David Fifita
19. Moeaki Fotuaika
27. Alofiana Khan-Pereira
41. Jayden Campbell
48. Tanah Boyd
6. Jeremiah Nanai

8. Tom Dearden

Red

Forum staff

Top 50 players under 23​

*changing clubs in 2024
Dolphins
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys
14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow

16. Thomas Gilbert

26. Isaiya Katoa
1. Payne Haas
2. Reece Walsh
11. Selwyn Cobbo
15. Ezra Mam
17. Herbie Farnworth*
18. Thomas Flegler*
23. Jordan Riki
5. Tino Fa‘asuamaleaui
7. David Fifita
19. Moeaki Fotuaika
27. Alofiana Khan-Pereira
41. Jayden Campbell
48. Tanah Boyd
6. Jeremiah Nanai

8. Tom Dearden
Payne Haas #1 for sure but Reece Walsh #2? I beg to differ. I'd say #4, #7, #6 are better. #8 #17 as good.

And how TF did #23 make the cut? Has he improved immensely over the last year? I haven't watched so many Broncos games so far this year.

DolphinLungren

QLD Cup
Payne Haas #1 for sure but Reece Walsh #2? I beg to differ. I'd say #4, #7, #6 are better. #8 #17 as good.

And how TF did #23 make the cut? Has he improved immensely over the last year? I haven't watched so many Broncos games so far this year.
I'm a huge Rhys Walsh fan, and although he has a couple of rookie errors in him sometimes, but I personally reckon he deserves #2 spot. He's just made such a huge difference to the Broncos this year and would've nudged player of the series in origin if he didn't miss the last match.

Riki at #23 is just bizarre - he's improved heaps this year, but he's not even close to some of the others below him.

Katoa at 26 is also strange. I don't think he has shown anywhere near enough for us yet to be in this echelon, unless it is based on potential not current form.