What's new

2024 finals

Josh

QLD Cup
I know everyone is disappointed about how the Dolphins bowed out but now it has happened, who is everyone backing?
  • Roosters vs Penrith: As expected (Penrith wins easily) and to be honest, don't care one way or the other.
  • Melbourne vs Cronulla: Why is it I don't like Sharks? Due to the riots some years ago? Maybe but Melbourse are going to win by at least 18.
  • North QLD vs Newcastle: Bye Newcastle but to be honest, with the team Payton has, should be up there with Melbourne and Penrith.
  • Canterbury vs Manly: Canterbury have overachieved to make it this far but won't go any further.

Dolph

QLD Cup
I know everyone is disappointed about how the Dolphins bowed out but now it has happened, who is everyone backing?
  • Roosters vs Penrith: As expected (Penrith wins easily) and to be honest, don't care one way or the other.
  • Melbourne vs Cronulla: Why is it I don't like Sharks? Due to the riots some years ago? Maybe but Melbourse are going to win by at least 18.
  • North QLD vs Newcastle: Bye Newcastle but to be honest, with the team Payton has, should be up there with Melbourne and Penrith.
  • Canterbury vs Manly: Canterbury have overachieved to make it this far but won't go any further.
Drug cheats? The year they won, the NRL admits they were over the cap but "compliant on GF day". Even if that's true, they cheated to get there.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Didn’t the players sign documents admitting to it, as a part of lighter punishment? If I wasn’t guilty there is no way I would be signing anything like that

Dolph

QLD Cup
Didn’t the players sign documents admitting to it, as a part of lighter punishment? If I wasn’t guilty there is no way I would be signing anything like that
They did. They said it was all on the trainer, not on the players who didn't know.

Dolph

QLD Cup
If NQ lose tonight, can we call a spade a spade and say it was a disastrous year for QLD rugby league?

Red

Forum staff
If NQ lose tonight, can we call a spade a spade and say it was a disastrous year for QLD rugby league?
I didn't realise Newcastle were that good. No wonder they beat us. I was very confident going into the game but wouldn't have been if I had watched a bit more of Newcastle play.

Josh

QLD Cup
I hope Cowboys win but NQs fragile defense might do them in.

Manly to win the other game against depleted Roosters.

As everyone has been saying since Broncos fell off a cliff early to middle of the season, it'll take a massive upset for Melbourne or Penrith to not make the GF.

Chris

QLD Cup
Does anyone give Sydney or Cronulla a chance? I think Roosters still have a very decent team. If they get it right on the day, they are a big chance.

As for Melbourne and Cronulla, I see Melbourne about 30 ahead with about 10 to go before Melbourne take some of their big guns off and take their foot off the accelerator, allow Cronulla a couple of consolation tries.

Liverbird with Phins up

Dolphins Pod NRL team
Does anyone give Sydney or Cronulla a chance? I think Roosters still have a very decent team. If they get it right on the day, they are a big chance.

As for Melbourne and Cronulla, I see Melbourne about 30 ahead with about 10 to go before Melbourne take some of their big guns off and take their foot off the accelerator, allow Cronulla a couple of consolation tries.
In short, NO

Josh

QLD Cup
Melbourne were white-hot last night. If NAS is fee to play in the GF, I think they might beat Penrith. For the Sharks to beat Penrith and then beat Melbourne, it'll take key injuries or send offs very early in both games. Judging from last night, I'd say 12 man Melbourne might beat the Sharks as long as the one sent off wasn't a spine player.

Chris

QLD Cup
Penrith's defence was very good but honestly, it didn't look like the Storm threw a lot at them.

Josh

QLD Cup
Penrith's defence was very good but honestly, it didn't look like the Storm threw a lot at them.
Storm chocked. Played a very boring style of football. When Panthers went ahead by 8, I think with about 25min left, Andrew Johns said in commentary something like, 'if Storm continue to play like this the final score will be 14-6.' They did. 5 hit ups, very little ball movement and a bomb. Set after set.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Storm chocked. Played a very boring style of football. When Panthers went ahead by 8, I think with about 25min left, Andrew Johns said in commentary something like, 'if Storm continue to play like this the final score will be 14-6.' They did. 5 hit ups, very little ball movement and a bomb. Set after set.
Melbourne were beaten up through the middle of the field. They seemed to be just hanging on in defence for 80% of the game. They had no petrol in the tank left for attack. That's the way I saw it.

Wasn't much of a game. Ball was in play for a long time, as the commentators kept reminding us. I guess I should just be thankful Micheal Ennis wasn't commentating. But the attack even from Penrith wasn't good. There weren't any really good tries scored or even close to being scored.