What's new

2023 season miscellaneous news

Jetty

QLD Cup
You don't just create a genuine rivalry in the media. You do it on the field.
That's true. Dolphins have to match the hype and Broncos need to be much more consistent. No more late season collapses to finish with the spoon, miss out on the finals and etc.

Josh

QLD Cup
That's true. Dolphins have to match the hype and Broncos need to be much more consistent. No more late season collapses to finish with the spoon, miss out on the finals and etc.
Win lose or draw, have to make a statement tomorrow night that we are never going to be their "little brothers".

Josh

QLD Cup
forgotten older brother that papa QLD had with another woman before he ran off with the NSWRL to have three other kids.
I don't get it:unsure:
QLD had 3 kids, Titans, NQ and Dolphins with NSWRL and Broncos are the forgotten older brother?

velve

Pod Calf
I don't get it:unsure:
QLD had 3 kids, Titans, NQ and Dolphins with NSWRL and Broncos are the forgotten older brother?
Dolphins are the forgotten older brother. Broncos, Cows, Titans are the three kids dad had with his trophy wife.

Josh

QLD Cup
Dolphins are the forgotten older brother. Broncos, Cows, Titans are the three kids dad had with his trophy wife.
Dolphins are obviously the youngest. Apple of the fathers eye.

Jetty

QLD Cup
Dolphins are obviously the youngest. Apple of the fathers eye.
No relation. Broncos are just the neighbour who forgets to put out the wheelie bin and stinks up the whole street.

Josh

QLD Cup

Average age of 2023 NRL teams​

Wests Tigers24.46
Gold Coast24.77
Manly24.9
Canterbury25.1
Brisbane25.31
Newcastle25.81
Penrith25.82
St George Illawarra25.95
Roosters26.05
South Sydney26.09
Melbourne26.09
Canberra26.13
Warriors26.17
Dolphins26.22
Parramatta26.45
Nth Qld26.54
Cronulla26.57

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member

Average age of 2023 NRL teams​

Wests Tigers24.46
Gold Coast24.77
Manly24.9
Canterbury25.1
Brisbane25.31
Newcastle25.81
Penrith25.82
St George Illawarra25.95
Roosters26.05
South Sydney26.09
Melbourne26.09
Canberra26.13
Warriors26.17
Dolphins26.22
Parramatta26.45
Nth Qld26.54
Cronulla26.57
I actually thought Dolphins would be the oldest.

Chris

QLD Cup
Gold Coast have a young team. I think with a good coach, they are going to be very formidable for some years. After Fifita's current deal finishes, they won't have anyone on huge money.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League

8. DOLPHINS

Last week’s rank: 6th (down two spots)
Analysis
: Depth was always going to be the major issue for this inaugural Dolphins team and the cracks are already starting to show, with a halves crisis derailing their promising start to the season. Sean O’Sullivan is out until Round 16 and Anthony Milford could miss up to a month with a hamstring injury, so 19-year-old prodigy Isaiya Katoa will drive the team’s fortunes with the returning Kodi Nikorima for the foreseeable future. The suspension of Felise Kaufusi is a big loss and the Dolphins’ staunch defence in the opening month went missing against the Dragons in the 38-12 defeat. The Dolphins will be looking to avoid three straight losses when they face an equally desperate Cowboys side in Townsville on Friday.

Though I think this is right re-depth, every team is going to struggle with its best halves out.

Jetty

QLD Cup

8. DOLPHINS

Last week’s rank: 6th (down two spots)
Analysis
: Depth was always going to be the major issue for this inaugural Dolphins team and the cracks are already starting to show, with a halves crisis derailing their promising start to the season. Sean O’Sullivan is out until Round 16 and Anthony Milford could miss up to a month with a hamstring injury, so 19-year-old prodigy Isaiya Katoa will drive the team’s fortunes with the returning Kodi Nikorima for the foreseeable future. The suspension of Felise Kaufusi is a big loss and the Dolphins’ staunch defence in the opening month went missing against the Dragons in the 38-12 defeat. The Dolphins will be looking to avoid three straight losses when they face an equally desperate Cowboys side in Townsville on Friday.

Though I think this is right re-depth, every team is going to struggle with its best halves out.
I remain optimistic. Get through this period with another win or 2, get some players back, other clubs weakened much more by Origin than us, come out of the Origin period with a relatively healthy squad and in the top 8, if not top 4 and then see how it goes at the backend of the season.

Equaliser

Dolphins Pod squad member
I remain optimistic. Get through this period with another win or 2, get some players back, other clubs weakened much more by Origin than us, come out of the Origin period with a relatively healthy squad and in the top 8, if not top 4 and then see how it goes at the backend of the season.
In a perfect world.

Bluey

Pod Calf

2023 NRL jersey review​

So, who are the NRL’s fashion leaders and fashion disasters in 2023? This year I decided to ask a selection of readers to review and rate their team’s 2023 jerseys, with reader ratings and my ratings used to arrive at a score out of 100. Here are the results, from worst to first, with a brief detour to Redcliffe, or wherever the Dolphins reside these days.

We know you’re new here, but this isn’t going to work​

I got a bit more than I bargained for with the Dolphins (52). Five supporters of other clubs felt compelled to offer their thoughts about the inaugural strips, and they were not complimentary. Should we cut the Dolphins some slack given it’s their first season and things can only get better? They’ll get better, right?

For a view from the Peninsula, I consulted long-time Redcliffe supporter Matth, who presented a thoughtful argument, including “I would’ve preferred the traditional red with white V, but the Dragons would’ve objected. So given the constraints, it’s as good as could be expected”.

Taking this point a step further, you could argue that adding a more traditional colour to Redcliffe’s existing strip could conflict with even more clubs, for example Newcastle, North Sydney, Souths and Wynnum-Manly. No, sorry Matth, constraints or not they’re just terrible jerseys. There’s no excuse for the new shade of puke, or for making it so prominent. There were other options.
Let’s be honest: They are atrocious. Too much of an awful colour that is not even gold. (But for those who own one they are guaranteed to be worth money in future years so hold on to them!) The Broncos first jersey was also a shocker so I am sure the marketing team will sort it out. The Round 2 jersey looked fantastic. I bought one of those and love it. That is the direction to go: More Red and white and keep the gold but make it a real gold and use it as a trim and highlights on the red. The jerseys will look fantastic in a year or two I am sure.

Josh

QLD Cup
Let’s be honest: They are atrocious. Too much of an awful colour that is not even gold. (But for those who own one they are guaranteed to be worth money in future years so hold on to them!) The Broncos first jersey was also a shocker so I am sure the marketing team will sort it out. The Round 2 jersey looked fantastic. I bought one of those and love it. That is the direction to go: More Red and white and keep the gold but make it a real gold and use it as a trim and highlights on the red. The jerseys will look fantastic in a year or two I am sure.
That's what I thought at first but I must admit, they have grown on me. Don't mind them now.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
In theory gold trimming is so pretentious but
That's what I thought at first but I must admit, they have grown on me. Don't mind them now.
I like them too. I guess they could always be better but they are far from the worst.