What's new

18th Team

Where should the next expansion team be based?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris

QLD Cup

Who will become the competition's 18th team?​

After two wins in two weeks from the Dolphins, attention has immediately turned to whether or not the NRL can add yet another club in the coming years. There was plenty of debate prior to the introduction of the NRL's 17th team, with the lack of high-profile recruits to the Redcliffe-based franchise raising some serious alarm bells.

But after a hot start and fans turning out in droves for the Dolphins, a recent report from News Corp indicated the NRL are looking at moving towards at least one new team and possibly as many as 20 in the coming years. Brisbane, Perth, Papua New Guinea and Pacific Islands have all been touted as potential options - while an old favourite has also been tossed around.

When will the NRL expand to 18 teams?​

While there is no guarantee the NRL is going to expand, it looks more and more likely that it will occur prior to 2027. ARLC boss Peter V'landys revealed the league's powerbrokers would look at the pros and cons before making a decision on an 18th team. “We haven’t put a time on it," he said during a recent interview on Triple M. "It could be in 2025 or it could be in 2027 when the broadcast contract comes up for renewal.

Who will be the NRL's next team?​

There are plenty of options for the NRL's next franchise, with plenty of opportunities across Australia and abroad. A potential Pasifika or PNG side has been earmarked for the coming years, while the likes of Perth and New Zealand could also be considered. But according to Phil Gould, the next club should again come from the south-east region of Queensland. “I said for years that Brisbane needed a second team and now I think they need a third team,” he said on Six Tackles with Gus.

Yeah, that will be a good idea in 10~15 years.

Will the North Sydney Bears return to the NRL?​

In short, the North Sydney Bears are highly unlikely to ever return to first grade in their previous and historic form. However, a potential merger with a new bidder such as PNG or Pasifika could allow the Bears name to live on. Bears chairman Daniel Dickson believes it could work for all parties if the famous club was re-introduced to first grade in a new form.

Central Coast Bears or bust.

Red

Forum staff
Won't "Pacifika" become just another team utilizing the QLD talent pool?

Jetty

QLD Cup
PNG hunters
Look like this might be it. Not a bad move.

The who, when and where of NRL expansion​

The road to 18 teams
- NRL will expand to 18 teams most likely before 2027
- PNG and/or Pasifika team is the front-runner
- The Bears have put their hand up to be part of any bid provided they keep their name, colours and play two games at North Sydney Oval
- PNG Bid 2025 team are ramping up their push for inclusion after touring NRL clubs.
- The PNG bid could link with the Bears, Cairns or Brisbane Firehawks.
The road to 20 teams
- Some have called for three extra teams
- The NRL will explore this option but it is a while away
- A second New Zealand team (combined with Pasikia if they aren’t the 18th team) will be the leading bid
- Another team in Melbourne or a return to Western Australia looms as the next option
- Teams would be split into conferences

Nashy

Broncos Scout
Has to be Perth, but NRL will do NRL things and make it a Pacific team, then bugger it up.

Reactions: Red

Red

Forum staff
Has to be Perth, but NRL will do NRL things and make it a Pacific team, then bugger it up.
Perth should be a no-brainer but I think international politics, specifically countering Chinese influence, means PNG will be next. Or so called "Pacifika".

Nashy

Broncos Scout
Hang on they arent the RFL.

Who? The RFL is the governing body in England, the same as the ARL are the governing body in Australia. The ARL can invite whatever club they wish to compete within their competitions.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
Hang on they arent the RFL.
Who? The RFL is the governing body in England, the same as the ARL are the governing body in Australia. The ARL can invite whatever club they wish to compete within their competitions.
Perth RL is under the umbrella of the RL governing body in England? I'm confused. How does that work?

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Being in the UK, I can say they are notorious for making bad decisions and as you say buggering it up.

I see how the NRL runs it's system and weep at what we could have. The RFL and superleague couldn't get an alcoholic pissed in a brewery

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
It must be late there your sarcasm detectors have all shut down
No sarcasm at all. I'm really confused. Perth RL is party to the governing body of the game in Englands rather than the NRL? What? It makes no sense. WTF am I missing?

Paul

Dolphins Junior League
It must be late there your sarcasm detectors have all shut down
Ok. I think I see it now. You say Perth isn't party to the RFL. Well, of course. Why would it be? What does it have to do with being admitted as the 18th team in the NRL or not?

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
Nashy said the nrl will bugger it up.

I said they aren't the RFL.

This implies 1) the NRL are not as bad the RFL.

2) the NRL is world class in decision making and you guys should thank your lucky southern stars you have a pro organisation running your game.

3) the RFL have destroyed RL in the uk

Paul

Dolphins Junior League

2) the NRL is world class in decision making and you guys should thank your lucky southern stars you have a pro organisation running your game.

Got it! Thanks for clarifying.

Paul

Dolphins Junior League

Why #3? I thought it's doing quite well. I know up until WW2, it was really big in France but the Nazis didn't like it because it was seen as a working class game, i.e. friendly to the Soviet Union, and the game never recovered until now where it's growing almost as fast as the riots.

Nashy

Broncos Scout
Being in the UK, I can say they are notorious for making bad decisions and as you say buggering it up.

I see how the NRL runs it's system and weep at what we could have. The RFL and superleague couldn't get an alcoholic pissed in a brewery

Ohhhh yeah your sarcasm went way over me 😂

Jetty

QLD Cup

Right now SOS is playing really well but if his form goes downhill....... what is the name of that halfback from England who used to play for Canberra? He is a really serious player!