What's new

Spencer Leniu 8 game ban

midlands hobo

Dolphins Pod squad member
So the questions are i) what do we think of the length of the ban.

More importantly ii) if there is the footage/sound to prove he did say it, is being on report in the game enough bear in mind the roosters went on to win with all 13 players on the field? They can get the bunker to review tries etc how come they couldn't be running the audio in the background and ping the ref to say send him off?

Imagine if it had been say Hammer it was said too? tight game we end up losing when if they had been down to 12 we could have won. it still doesn't sit right with me that teams later in the draw get the benefit of he player being off the field.

If there is enough evidence to prove it then he could have been canned on the day. even if it had taken the bunker 10mins to prove it.

mr_c

QLD Cup
end of the day he shouldnt said it got what he deserved in dwz got 4 weeks for calling someone the f---t word then yup good on them as for him reckoning broncos said ur n didnt want to say anything shows you really how thick he is

Equaliser

More importantly ii) if there is the footage/sound to prove he did say it, is being on report in the game enough bear in mind the roosters went on to win with all 13 players on the field? They can get the bunker to review tries etc how come they couldn't be running the audio in the background and ping the ref to say send him off?

Imagine if it had been say Hammer it was said too? tight game we end up losing when if they had been down to 12 we could have won. it still doesn't sit right with me that teams later in the draw get the benefit of he player being off the field.

If there is enough evidence to prove it then he could have been canned on the day. even if it had taken the bunker 10mins to prove it.
He said it. Admitted to it. But is it racially motivated? I remember in HS a bloke, as white as snow, who we used to refer to as a monkey. Not proud of it looking back now but HS kids are as they are.

As a result, I think the ban was too harsh.

Phins Phan

Dolphins Junior League
I thought a four-game ban would send a pretty big message but they've gone for eight and I'm happy enough with that, too. As WB said last year when Kaufusi was suspended for four weeks, there's no point complaining about the length of a suspension - if you do the crime then how long you get for it is completely out of your hands so you just have to cop it and not do the crime again. At the end of the day, it's really not asking a lot for players not to use racial language - if Lenui is genuine in his claim that he did not understand "monkey" to be a racial term then that's a pretty damning indictment of the education we're always hearing the players are getting in this space.

Equaliser

I thought a four-game ban would send a pretty big message but they've gone for eight and I'm happy enough with that, too. As WB said last year when Kaufusi was suspended for four weeks, there's no point complaining about the length of a suspension - if you do the crime then how long you get for it is completely out of your hands so you just have to cop it and not do the crime again. At the end of the day, it's really not asking a lot for players not to use racial language - if Lenui is genuine in his claim that he did not understand "monkey" to be a racial term then that's a pretty damning indictment of the education we're always hearing the players are getting in this space.
I'm not unhappy with it but if it were one of ours, I'd be unhappy about it. 4 games seems fair to me.

Red

Forum staff

Seems about right to me. If the NRL wants to stamp racism out of the game once and for all. But I'm very interested in the talk from the Roosters that Leniu was racially insulted by a Broncos player but that he wanted to leave it on the field.

If that's true, and he hasn't said it himself but the Roosters club did, he should be compelled to explain or the Roosters should be severely punished., IMO.

midlands hobo

I've got no issue with the length of the ban. Have to admit i was slightly surprised it thought 4 as well but 8 sends out a good warning.

I'm more interested in why the audio couldn't have been reviewed in game by the bunker during play and him been sent off in the match. with a man down that could have been a different result and end of season the Donkeys may miss those points. Seems unfair that the next 8 opponents gets the benefit.

Equaliser

I've got no issue with the length of the ban. Have to admit i was slightly surprised it thought 4 as well but 8 sends out a good warning.

I'm more interested in why the audio couldn't have been reviewed in game by the bunker during play and him been sent off in the match. with a man down that could have been a different result and end of season the Donkeys may miss those points. Seems unfair that the next 8 opponents gets the benefit.
If it was racially motivated, I have no issue with the ban. I think it's spot on. I'm just not convinced at all it was racially motivated. In fact, I doubt it. When looking at Leniu's skin colour.